Post Bacc, chances and possible schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPresident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for a friend who sucks at the internet:

Undergrad GPA: c 3.49 ; s 3.41

MCAT (pre2015, still usable): 29 idk the breakdown, she said even all around

Postbac in biomedical sciences: 3.9

In the undergrad GPA, upward trend (2.98 freshman year, between 3.5-3.9 in each subsequent semester)

Advanced EMT, worked as a Basic EMT/Advanced EMT for about 4 years (all volunteer). Multiple summer jobs in various healthcare settings with geriatrics and pediatrics.

LOCs and all that.

From the New England area, no state school. Only location "preference" is UNECOM and maaaaaybe BU or Tufts, I'm not really sure how those Massachusetts schools view out of state but within New England.

Wants to go into primary care.

I know this isn't terribly detailed, but it's all I know. Just looking for some basic information. Chances in some MD/DO schools, perhaps some suggestions in what else to do, etc. Let me know if you want to know anything else. Just looking for some opinions outside of advisers.

Members don't see this ad.

Chances look good for DO. Not so great for MD.

An MCAT retake for 512+ is probably the single best thing you can do to improve your MD chances. Yes the GPA is low, but with that much of an upward trend i think a better MCAT showing and you might have some success with a broad list of lower tier MD programs. But you need that significant MCAT improvement for this to come to fruition.

3.9 postbac + 29 MCAT might be okay for some MD schools. If she's from NH, that's tough. If she's from Maine, then Tufts has that program that she should probably apply for. If she's not a MA resident, then UMass isn't going to even accept her application. Harvard and BU are going to be enormous reaches (as in not worth applying). Her best shot is DO (likely would garner an acceptance from UNECOM), but there are some MD schools that might be within range. As grapes said, an MCAT retake would definitely help (513 is a good score to shoot for, that's a 32 on the old scale, but the higher the better) for MD. Honestly, if she's cool with DO, she could probably just apply to a bunch of northeastern DO schools and get in somewhere, but if she wants MD, she's got limited options without an MCAT retake.

Awesome. I figured similarly but I'm still in the application process myself; figured I'd get others opinions. Thanks for the information! More is welcome from anyone :)