Post bacc classes question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICUrunning

On the Iron Path
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already finished my undergraduate degrees but I want to go back and take some prereqs like physiology and maybe some other classes to boost my gpa before I apply this summer. Do adcoms care about taking lower level courses? My school has physiology at the 200 level although my friend goes to a school that has it at the 400 level.

Must I always take upper level courses now that I'm done?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've already finished my undergraduate degrees but I want to go back and take some prereqs like physiology and maybe some other classes to boost my gpa before I apply this summer. Do adcoms about taking lower level courses? My school has physiology at the 200 level although my friend goes to a school that has it at the 400 level.

I think that is a good idea. I had a gap year and a half after undergrad and I took A&P one semester and biochemistry the other at my community college (yes, I took two community college courses). I mainly took them for the sake of taking classes because I didn't want to go a year and a half without being in school. Plus, those two courses can be favorably looked upon because not everyone has had them before starting D school (IMO). I doubt that they will look down upon you taking a couple of lower level classes. Maybe someone else will have other opinions...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that is a good idea. I had a gap year and a half after undergrad and I took A&P one semester and biochemistry the other at my community college (yes, I took two community college courses). I mainly took them for the sake of taking classes because I didn't want to go a year and a half without being in school. Plus, those two courses can be favorably looked upon because not everyone has had them before starting D school (IMO). I doubt that they will look down upon you taking a couple of lower level classes. Maybe someone else will have other opinions...
Take as many upper level courses as you can

Since some schools require physiology and I'm taking it in the summer while I'm applying, I would have to mention that I am currently taking the course or going to take the course, correct? Physiology is offered the second summer session while I'm planning to send my application, hopefully, first batch. Thanks.

Since some schools require physiology and I'm taking it in the summer while I'm applying, I would have to mention that I am currently taking the course or going to take the course, correct? Physiology is offered the second summer session while I'm planning to send my application, hopefully, first batch. Thanks.
Yes there is a place to list currently enrolled courses.

I've already finished my undergraduate degrees but I want to go back and take some prereqs like physiology and maybe some other classes to boost my gpa before I apply this summer. Do adcoms care about taking lower level courses? My school has physiology at the 200 level although my friend goes to a school that has it at the 400 level.

I wouldn't worry about it too much... schools do their course "leveling" individually, and you don't really have any say over it. So long as you have good grades in the pre-reqs, I doubt they thoroughly comb through your transcript just looking for the course levels in other science electives you took. If you're taking above a 100 level, I think it's fine. Sure, the higher the better, I guess, but I don't even know how much they really notice that. I'd take classes that you think will help you the most.

Reactions: 1 users