Post-Bacc Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiscyon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but does anybody have advice on what kind of courses you should take during some time off?

I did all my pre-reqs and a lot of upper level molecular biology courses.

I'm in the process of enrolling in some courses at a new university but I'm not sure is it better to sign up for undergrad or grad classes?

I think grad courses may be way over my head but I have no idea about them. I finished most of the biology courses they have to offer so is it a good idea to go to the next level class?

And I'm guessing if you just took the same class again that would be looked down upon right?

Members don't see this ad.

The first question I will ask is why are you even taking Post-Bac courses? Did you perform poorly in the required science courses? Remember quality is better than quantity. - Admissions Advice Online

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but does anybody have advice on what kind of courses you should take during some time off?

I did all my pre-reqs and a lot of upper level molecular biology courses.

I'm in the process of enrolling in some courses at a new university but I'm not sure is it better to sign up for undergrad or grad classes?

I think grad courses may be way over my head but I have no idea about them. I finished most of the biology courses they have to offer so is it a good idea to go to the next level class?

And I'm guessing if you just took the same class again that would be looked down upon right?
I'm assuming that this is for GPA repair. I was in a similar boat as you last year (still in the middle of my postbacc now), having taken all of the intro courses, as well as every microbio course offered at my school, and finding that I needed a postbacc.

-Take classes for undergraduate credit, as graduate credit will not help your GPA and are often considered with skepticism.
-If you are planning to apply DO, retake any courses which you got a C or lower in.
-If you are planning to apply MD only, I personally suggest new upper level courses. Ask the institution which you are taking courses at - many of the 'graduate level' courses are given for undergraduate credit, but are labelled as 'graduate' so that they can be included in a graduate degree plan with the approval of the graduate school. Non-degree seeking students are typically given undergraduate credit, as graduate credits are typically linked with a formal graduate program. I have taken multiple 'graduate level' courses as undergraduate courses during my postbacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm doing some GPA repair and I have already taken several upper level biology classes. For this program, I'm taking microbiology (it was only available for nursing majors at my undergrad), biochem, A&P (only for nursing at my old school) and I was also able to sign up for some undergraduate research after taking to my advisor, so that took up 2 credits. Then I'll take micro II and A&P II the next semester and because I've run out of classes to take, I'll redo a class that I got a C in. So I guess my advise is take new classes, see if you can take a research class and then at last resort retake classes you received a C or lower in.

Well I'm doing some GPA repair and I have already taken several upper level biology classes. For this program, I'm taking microbiology (it was only available for nursing majors at my undergrad), biochem, A&P (only for nursing at my old school) and I was also able to sign up for some undergraduate research after taking to my advisor, so that took up 2 credits. Then I'll take micro II and A&P II the next semester and because I've run out of classes to take, I'll redo a class that I got a C in. So I guess my advise is take new classes, see if you can take a research class and then at last resort retake classes you received a C or lower in.

Wow how were you able to get into undergraduate research? Usually they want students from their own uni right?

I'm assuming that this is for GPA repair. I was in a similar boat as you last year (still in the middle of my postbacc now), having taken all of the intro courses, as well as every microbio course offered at my school, and finding that I needed a postbacc.

-Take classes for undergraduate credit, as graduate credit will not help your GPA and are often considered with skepticism.
-If you are planning to apply DO, retake any courses which you got a C or lower in.
-If you are planning to apply MD only, I personally suggest new upper level courses. Ask the institution which you are taking courses at - many of the 'graduate level' courses are given for undergraduate credit, but are labelled as 'graduate' so that they can be included in a graduate degree plan with the approval of the graduate school. Non-degree seeking students are typically given undergraduate credit, as graduate credits are typically linked with a formal graduate program. I have taken multiple 'graduate level' courses as undergraduate courses during my postbacc.

Yeah what you said makes sense. I emailed them and they said that classes I take will be counted as graduate classes even though they are undergraduate classes. Well I don't want to doubt them but from everywhere I've heard if you take undergrad classes or even grad classes as a post-bacc it's generally considered as undergrad. In any case just to be safe I'll make sure they aren't those classes where it's only a few grad students taking it.