Post Bacc Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro2596

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure I'm going to sound ridiculous, but I'm going to ask anyways. I'm an upcoming junior at a state school, and my GPA currently sits at a 3.43. I know I'm taking a gap year already, so I have a full two years to raise my GPA, and I'm hopeful to get well over a 3.5. However, would a post-bacc be necessary to raise my GPA more? Or is that just unnecessary? I also retook Orgo I and got a C- will that still look terrible?

Also, I have 300+ hours of volunteering with direct patient contact (was doing transports and now am a cuddler in the NICU), have 50+ shadowing hours, 3 full years of research so far (with multiple posters and a paper being started). I also write for a music journal at my school. Will my EC's at all overlook my mediocre GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I had this same experience when I was a junior, with the same GPA, and I decided not to take a postbac. I felt I managed to bring up my grades decently well in my junior and senior years and didn't want to spend the time and money. I'm currently in the process of applying, graduated undergrad in June.

Like deforestasian said, stay the course, improve your grades during your last two years, kill the MCAT, retake Orgo, and apply on time. Don't waste your time and money on a post-bac when your GPA isn't that bad.

Edit: Also, your ECs should help your GPA either way =)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user