Post bacc list help (URM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ddude122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I really need some help with my post bacc list if you think I should add any please enlighten me thanks.

CA resident
My stats: cgpa:3.06
Sgpa:3.2
DO cgpa: 3.3
DO sgpa 3.5
URM Hispanic immigrant
Last semester was 3.6, this semester was about 3.8 Of all upper div bio and biochem
really the only bad part of my grades were the first GEs in college until i "figured it out"
No mcat yet (plan on taking next april)
Fluent spanish ( ive seen around these forums it may be relevant)

Ecs
Worked construction all 5 years of college to help sustain myself and help family (40-50hr wks) Leadership position since year one
200 Hrs of hospital volunteer 150 in cardiology
20hrs Clinical shadowing experience at my school where i got to shadow physicians and even take vitals of patients.
currently volunteering in Animal shelter
Currently volunteering in MEND an organization for homeless people
7 Months of undergrad research of embryonic cancer development (research leader)
Member for 1 year for Chicanos community medicine
Played Semiprofessional and club soccer my freshman year of college
Served as a judge in an elementary science fair.
Shadowed Cardio Vascular Surgeon MD

Planning to apply:
MD Post baccs:
Uc Consortium
UCSD post bacc
Sfsu post bacc
Johns Hopkins
TCMC

DO:
Vcom
Tauro California
Tauro Nevada

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken the pre-med prerequisites? In other words, you are applying to academic enhancer post bacs, and not career changer post bacs? Don't do a DO postbac - your DO gpa is plenty competitive. I would also hold off on applying to the MD post bacs until you have an MCAT score. Basically, if you don't get an MD MCAT score, then doing an MD post bac will be a complete waste of money.

My two cents about JHU—don't risk it. You gain nothing by throwing yourself into the pre-med fire that is Hopkins. If you do a post-bac to pursue MD, go to a place where you have the best opportunity to improve or maintain your GPA. The only advantage to JH would be its linkages to med schools, but I don't think your 3.06/3.2 will be high enough to qualify for those. Honestly, if you're in the position to do so, I would just keep taking higher level science classes at your university, even past graduation. Keep getting As, keep improving. Post-bacs are a huge amount of money when you could just take the classes you want.

(Caveat—I can't tell if you're applying to enhancer or career changer post-bacs, like the above poster mentioned, but I agree with their advice above).

Have you taken the pre-med prerequisites? In other words, you are applying to academic enhancer post bacs, and not career changer post bacs? Don't do a DO postbac - your DO gpa is plenty competitive. I would also hold off on applying to the MD post bacs until you have an MCAT score. Basically, if you don't get an MD MCAT score, then doing an MD post bac will be a complete waste of money.

My two cents about JHU—don't risk it. You gain nothing by throwing yourself into the pre-med fire that is Hopkins. If you do a post-bac to pursue MD, go to a place where you have the best opportunity to improve or maintain your GPA. The only advantage to JH would be its linkages to med schools, but I don't think your 3.06/3.2 will be high enough to qualify for those. Honestly, if you're in the position to do so, I would just keep taking higher level science classes at your university, even past graduation. Keep getting As, keep improving. Post-bacs are a huge amount of money when you could just take the classes you want.

(Caveat—I can't tell if you're applying to enhancer or career changer post-bacs, like the above poster mentioned, but I agree with their advice above).

I have taken all pre reqs, at this point MD doesnt matter to much Id be fine with DO thanks so much for your help guys!