Post bacc needs advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcfarlane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will try to make this as brief as possible.

Finished undergrad with cGPA- 2.9 and sci GPA 2.4- was a bio major so I did all pre reqs- did 152 credits. Reason for bad gpa- was spending more time on other commitments.

Did 2 masters unrelated to science GPAs were 3.5, and 3.7. Was a high school teacher for 5 years and an assistant principal for one.

Currently doing a post bacc grades so far are

Fall 2011
Calc I- A-
Gen Chem- A (retake from C- in undergrad)
Grad level Bio class- A-
Spring 2012
Bioengineering- A-
Gen Chem II- A (retake from C in undergrad)
Calc based Physics I- B+
Summer I
Org Chem I- B+ (retake from D in undergrad)

Current GPA 3.7

I had my pre med committee interview at the end of May and they basically told me I have no chance due to my undergrad and that I should take another 32 credits of classes to raise my undergrad GPA (wonder if they really just want me to give the school more $$). After working it out if I take those 32 credits my undergrad GPA still won't be above 3.0 because I had so many credits so my new grades won't be significant enough. I also don't have the money- it would cost me more than $32,000 to do it. I only have enough to do 16.

Fall classes will be:
Grad level Bio class
Genetics (will be a retake of D from undergrad)
Organic II (will be a retake of C- from undergrad)

Spring 2013 classes will be:
Biochem
Calc Based Physics II (will be a retake from C from undergrad)

My MCAT is a 30. I should be AMCAS verified by this Friday. I should have been verified earlier since I finished AMCAS since the first day but one of my schools didn't send a transcript until 7/16 even though I sent the request in the beginning of June! (all for 3 college credits from high school!).

I have great LORs from professors, employers, 70+hrs of shadowing, 300+ of volunteering, had a small business for 3 yrs, did research for a year in undergrad, also have been the primary caretaker for an ill parent.

Any advice? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my opinion, your undergraduate grades represent the "old" you. Some adcoms might view it this way as well and see your current course work as representative of the student you are now. Unfortunately, you might be auto screened out of most if not all MD programs.

My advice is just retake a couple more science courses and apply DO. With your MCAT, you will for SURE get in somewhere.

i don't see how you're going to get past the auto-screen for gpa...look into SMP? DO is your best chance

Members don't see this ad :)
If finances are an issue to take on 32k more for 32 credits, there's no way she would be able to afford most SMP programs (quite understandably). So I would advise against the SMP route for that reason.

With grade replacement, you would have an increased shot at a DO since you're doing so well right now. If you also want to try MD, apply broadly and keep forging ahead. You never know who will relate to your experiences and want to gear more about them in an interview. Best of luck!!!

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Looking good so far. You'll need to rock the MCAT to be really competetive.

Finished undergrad with cGPA- 2.9 and sci GPA 2.4- was a bio major so I did all pre reqs- did 152 credits. Reason for bad gpa- was spending more time on other commitments.

Did 2 masters unrelated to science GPAs were 3.5, and 3.7. Was a high school teacher for 5 years and an assistant principal for one.

Fall 2011
Calc I- A-
Grad level Bio class- A-
Spring 2012
Bioengineering- A-
Calc based Physics I- B+
Summer I

Current GPA 3.7

I had my pre med committee interview at the end of May and they basically told me I have no chance due to my undergrad and that I should take another 32 credits of classes to raise my undergrad GPA (wonder if they really just want me to give the school more $$). After working it out if I take those 32 credits my undergrad GPA still won't be above 3.0 because I had so many credits so my new grades won't be significant enough. I also don't have the money- it would cost me more than $32,000 to do it. I only have enough to do 16.

Fall classes will be:
Grad level Bio class

Biochem

My MCAT is a 30. I should be AMCAS verified by this Friday. I should have been verified earlier since I finished AMCAS since the first day but one of my schools didn't send a transcript until 7/16 even though I sent the request in the beginning of June! (all for 3 college credits from high school!).

I have great LORs from professors, employers, 70+hrs of shadowing, 300+ of volunteering, had a small business for 3 yrs, did research for a year in undergrad, also have been the primary caretaker for an ill parent.

Do courses taken in a postbac factor into AMCAS's calculation of cGPA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fall 2011
Calc I- A-
Grad level Bio class- A-
Spring 2012
Bioengineering- A-
Calc based Physics I- B+
Summer I

Current GPA 3.7

Fall classes will be:
Grad level Bio class

Biochem

To dramatically improve your odds of success, I strongly recommend that you apply to DO med schools, too, since the retaken coursework will essentially erase your early poorer grades when your application GPA is calculated.

AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy: Each class that one retakes must have the same credit hours as the original course, or greater. The retake need not be at the same school. The course name needn't be identical, so long as the course content is demonstrably similar per the course catalogs.

When one retakes, only the most recent grade (not the best one) is included in the calculation of your application GPA by AACOMAS. This is the fastest way to redeem a low GPA.

DO GPA calculation spreadsheet:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

AMCAS BCPM GPA varies from AACOMAS sGPA, which includes no math (scroll to bottom half): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026