Post-bacc options!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is best post bacc option?

• SMP

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • MPH

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Undergrad post-bacc program

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just take undergrad classes at any college, without a set program

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

mandrakes94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so confused, I've been getting so much advice about what to do after I graduate to improve my application, I need some help sorting through it all...

I'm graduating with a 3.32 cGPA, a 3.10 sGPA and 520 MCAT score. I majored in Econ/minor in Math with my pre health classes in undergrad. My options are:
- Take undergrad post-bacc program to improve my sGPA
- Just take undergrad classes at any school without a program to up my sGPA
- Do a SMP
- Do a one year MPH

If anyone could tell me the pros and cons of these different things. What do you guys think is the best option/what was your experience with these different programs?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

simply not true... directly from AAMC: https://apps.aamc.org/postbac/#/index

look under "Special Program Focus": academic record enhancers fits OP situation
Most formal undergrad post baccs are for career changers and don't accept people how have completed the pre reqs

With that said, how many credits count toward your 3.10 sGPA? If you can reasonably bring that sGPA to 3.5 before your MCAT score expires, you can avoid going through SMP.
MPH (and graduate GPA in general) would not help your GPA.

I'd consider SMP, but its gonna cost $$$

DO does grade replacement

a 520 is very good from what I understand, so YOU have options

Members don't see this ad :)
simply not true... directly from AAMC: https://apps.aamc.org/postbac/#/index

look under "Special Program Focus": academic record enhancers fits OP situation

With that said, how many credits count toward your 3.10 sGPA? If you can reasonably bring that sGPA to 3.5 before your MCAT score expires, you can avoid going through SMP.
MPH (and graduate GPA in general) would not help your GPA.
I've completed all my pre-reqs plus I have several extra math classes from my math minor so quite a few.

I'm confused why a graduate GPA won't be helpful, especially if it's a MS like in Forensic Science or Nutrition - those are science heavy course loads, wouldn't they show my ability to handle upper level science courses?

I've completed all my pre-reqs plus I have several extra math classes from my math minor so quite a few.

I'm confused why a graduate GPA won't be helpful, especially if it's a MS like in Forensic Science or Nutrition - those are science heavy course loads, wouldn't they show my ability to handle upper level science courses?

What state are you in

according to previous responses from adcom members, MD schools generally consider graduate GPA as fluff.
while they might be "upper level", the primary focus is generally on research and not really academically rigorous, at least in my own experience. I believe they are also reported and calculated separately on the AMCAS application.

if you are considering DO, then you get grade replacement like @Optimus-Prime has mentioned, and they do give more weight to graduate GPA.

By the way thanks for all the answers guys! I'm just trying to sort through all these options and find the best option that helps me get into med school that doesn't break the bank and that is useful in case I don't get in - I guess that's too much to ask for :)