Post-bacc or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

level1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reading over this forum and would love some current advice. My cGPA is 3.4 and sGPA 2.9/3.0. I've taken the GRE was V 151 Q 151 A 3.5. My weaker science courses were all of my elective molecular & cell biology courses during UG. Do you think an SMP can give me more options after completion? I'm thinking if I got a masters and didn't get in I could teach and reapply. The post-bacc could help me with that sGPA, but for the cost it wouldn't help me more than my B.S. Any and all advice appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I've been reading over this forum and would love some current advice. My cGPA is 3.4 and sGPA 2.9/3.0. I've taken the GRE was V 151 Q 151 A 3.5. My weaker science courses were all of my elective molecular & cell biology courses during UG. Do you think an SMP can give me more options after completion? I'm thinking if I got a masters and didn't get in I could teach and reapply. The post-bacc could help me with that sGPA, but for the cost it wouldn't help me more than my B.S. Any and all advice appreciated! :)
Smps are outrageously expensive as well. If you have at least a year of high grades then go ahead and apply. Otherwise, work on that first (and get your science GPA over a 3.0!)

Hey guys,

Postbac programs are great depending on how many classes you would need to really repair your gpa. I did a Postbac and had no luck getting in, I then did an SMP and got in. SMP's are expensive of course, but I think if you are fairly certain you can come in and knock it out, then it is a good option. Many people fail in SMPs, so be very cautious. Also only go for an SMP that has a good linkage like RFU, Toledo, UCinn, EVMS, etc. Thoroughly investigate each of these programs and see what is right for you. Also realize these programs change every year, for example, I know Toledo had some drama this year. Just keep an eye out and do your homework on the SMPs.