Post bacc prerequisite plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcunnin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started prereqs this semester as a post bacc student and wanted to get opinions on my plan to complete them. I haven't had a science course in almost 10 years. Is 3 sciences plus labs in one semester too much? I run a home based business that allows a lot of flexibility with time so working isn't really an issue. Anyone have experience doing it like this? I was wondering if I should spread it out more and maybe just apply in 2017, but I really hate to wait an extra year. Or I could take some classes after I apply which wouldn't be such a bad idea I guess. My main concern is Physics, but I really hate to wait to take Physics in a later semester when I have upper level Chem and Bio courses. Please help!

Fall 2014
Bio 1
Bio lab
Chem 1
Chem lab
Physics 1
Physics lab

Spring 2015
Bio 2
Bio lab
Chem 2
Chem lab
Physics 2
Physics lab

Summer 2015
Cell and Molecular Bio
Org Chem 1
Org Chem lab

Fall 2015
Microbiology
Org Chem 2
Org Chem lab

Spring 2016
Biochemistry

Take DAT and apply in 2016

Members don't see this ad.

Totally doable for 2016. I wouldn't hold off another year unless work or whatever is going to hinder performance. You want to so well. How are current GPAs? It would be dreamy to handle what you have, squeeze out a summer DAT (I'm talking possibly little to know OCHM yet; doing it on your own) and slipping in a semi-late app next summer. It's a long shot, but not far-fetched. You would have to watch pre-reqs, though, so they're all done for all schools (e.g., no time for A&P if your school of choice wants it).

Best bet, apply 2016. You can gauge how things go after this semester. 3 science + labs are decent and very doable.

Totally doable for 2016. I wouldn't hold off another year unless work or whatever is going to hinder performance. You want to so well. How are current GPAs? It would be dreamy to handle what you have, squeeze out a summer DAT (I'm talking possibly little to know OCHM yet; doing it on your own) and slipping in a semi-late app next summer. It's a long shot, but not far-fetched. You would have to watch pre-reqs, though, so they're all done for all schools (e.g., no time for A&P if your school of choice wants it).

Best bet, apply 2016. You can gauge how things go after this semester. 3 science + labs are decent and very doable.

Thanks for the quick response. My undergrad GPA is 3.4. Graduate GPA from when I got my MBA is 3.7. I calculated some numbers last night, and my science GPAs are a little low because I don't have very many science classes, and didnt do THAT great on the ones I did. My BCP GPA is 3.09 with 5 classes and sGPA (BCPM) is 3.24 with 9 classes. If I were to get all A's this semester (thinking positive), my BCP GPA would be 3.56 and sGPA (BCPM) would be 3.52.

I've only been in school about a week and a half, and I already know it's not going to be easy. It's already hard as hell haha. So I was considering dropping Physics and waiting maybe to take it AFTER I apply, but I kinda hate to do that in case something comes up or whatever. Also, my Physics teacher is really tough (bad reviews on ratemyprofesor). But I might end up with him in the long run again anyway..so I don't know.

With the info about my GPAs, would you still say go with my original plan?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick response. My undergrad GPA is 3.4. Graduate GPA from when I got my MBA is 3.7. I calculated some numbers last night, and my science GPAs are a little low because I don't have very many science classes, and didnt do THAT great on the ones I did. My BCP GPA is 3.09 with 5 classes and sGPA (BCPM) is 3.24 with 9 classes. If I were to get all A's this semester (thinking positive), my BCP GPA would be 3.56 and sGPA (BCPM) would be 3.52.

I've only been in school about a week and a half, and I already know it's not going to be easy. It's already hard as hell haha. So I was considering dropping Physics and waiting maybe to take it AFTER I apply, but I kinda hate to do that in case something comes up or whatever. Also, my Physics teacher is really tough (bad reviews on ratemyprofesor). But I might end up with him in the long run again anyway..so I don't know.

With the info about my GPAs, would you still say go with my original plan?
Do not take physics yet. It will only hurt your application. Hold off and take it in the gap year after you apply. Good luck. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not take physics yet. It will only hurt your application. Hold off and take it in the gap year after you apply. Good luck. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your opinion! The dental advisor I spoke with suggested that it is a little better to have all prerequisites complete before application. Of course it's not required though. Any other thoughts on this? I really appreciate the advice.

Lots of people save physics for last. If it's going to kill your GPA, then scrap it. You can pull Bs and Cs after acceptance (assuming your schools allow that). I just got physics out of the way since the chemistries were in sequence and I wanted a full schedule. Luckily, it wasn't too bad for me and I pulled As. I did about the same as you, though. We are starting at different points in the process, but this is what I did just for fun. If your GPAs are okay and you can get a bulk of pre-reqs done (prove you can handle some science and it appears you will finish before matriculation), then you don't need to have them all done before applying. The advice is okay, but don't worry about it.

Spring
Bio 1 + lab
Phy 1 + lab
Chm 1 + lab

Summer
Chm 2 + lab

Fall
Bio 2 + lab
Phy 2 + lab
Ochm 1 + lab

DAT over winter break

Spring
Ochm 2 + lab
A&P 1 + lab
Latin + greek roots (3 credits, BIO194 so it went towards sGPA, easy and useful)
Dental Field Placement (P/F class on how to apply to schools and assigned public clinic to volunteer 40 hours for semester)

Applied in summer

Fall - lighter load for interview travel
Biochem
A& 2 + lab
Microbio lecture
Intro to parenting (just to stay full time; online and easy)

Spring
Microbio lab (should have tried to get this waived; total waste, but required for matriculation)

The schedules do look really similar haha. I think I'm leaning towards dropping physics. I'll lose out on some tuition money that was already paid, but it may be worth it. I just have that gut feeling that it's going to be too much for my first semester of science in such a long time. It's going to drop me below full time status, but the advisor told me that as a post bacc student, a part time class load to complete prerequisites is acceptable because older students are more likely to be working, raising kids, etc etc. If you don't mind me asking, how long had it been since you took a science class before starting the prereqs?

The schedules do look really similar haha. I think I'm leaning towards dropping physics. I'll lose out on some tuition money that was already paid, but it may be worth it. I just have that gut feeling that it's going to be too much for my first semester of science in such a long time. It's going to drop me below full time status, but the advisor told me that as a post bacc student, a part time class load to complete prerequisites is acceptable because older students are more likely to be working, raising kids, etc etc. If you don't mind me asking, how long had it been since you took a science class before starting the prereqs?

Physics 101 in 1996. So 14 years. That was freshman year. I was a marketing major.

I do believe you have a little more slack on workload if you're a non-trad. There's no official metric for this, but that's been my observation.

Physics 101 in 1996. So 14 years. That was freshman year. I was a marketing major.

I do believe you have a little more slack on workload if you're a non-trad. There's no official metric for this, but that's been my observation.

Ouch you're making me feel bad for wanting to drop now since you haven't had a science in a long time either lol. I'm really thinking it's this teacher that has me doubting my ability. I'm just not understanding the info at all. I probably could teach it to myself..at least enough to pass the class, but I just don't know if I'll have the time to do that with the workload from the other classes.

So how far into the prereqs are you? Or did you already get accepted into dental school?

Ouch you're making me feel bad for wanting to drop now since you haven't had a science in a long time either lol. I'm really thinking it's this teacher that has me doubting my ability. I'm just not understanding the info at all. I probably could teach it to myself..at least enough to pass the class, but I just don't know if I'll have the time to do that with the workload from the other classes.

So how far into the prereqs are you? Or did you already get accepted into dental school?

I'm in my 3rd year of dental school now. Do what you need to so you can maintain solid grades.

I'm in my 3rd year of dental school now. Do what you need to so you can maintain solid grades.

Yeah I'll give it some more thought..I have a few more days until the drop date without having it recorded as a W. Thanks again for the advice, and best of luck to you in the final years of dental school.