Post bacc question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkrules09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm graduating this semester from a school known for grade deflation. I'm also looking to apply to Texas schools in 2015. Right now I have a 2.75 cum and 2.6 science gpa. I'm also an URM. My gpa for Amcas schools is a little bit lower. I will be applying to both MD and DO schools but would like to get into a MD school in Texas or even TCOM (doesn't do grade replacement) because of the cheaper tuition. I know I have to do a post bacc to raise my gpa. Does it matter where you take your post bacc classes? For example, there are two universities in my city. One that is the flagship campus (which is better, but also more expensive) and the other is located downtown (half the price).

Also, I started off as an engineer and wonder if I can retake regular calc 1 to replace calc 1 for engineers.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys

I'm graduating this semester from a school known for grade deflation. I'm also looking to apply to Texas schools in 2015. Right now I have a 2.75 cum and 2.6 science gpa. I'm also an URM. My gpa for Amcas schools is a little bit lower. I will be applying to both MD and DO schools but would like to get into a MD school in Texas or even TCOM (doesn't do grade replacement) because of the cheaper tuition. I know I have to do a post bacc to raise my gpa. Does it matter where you take your post bacc classes? For example, there are two universities in my city. One that is the flagship campus (which is better, but also more expensive) and the other is located downtown (half the price).

Also, I started off as an engineer and wonder if I can retake regular calc 1 to replace calc 1 for engineers.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Are you graduating from the same school you are going to do your postbac at?

No. I plan to move back to texas and take classes in my home city.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to an out of state private school and don't want to spend another year there which would cost me ~$60000 since I don't get financial aid for a 5th year.

Yes, some post-bacc programs are older and well known to medical schools for their tough curriculum and ability to produce successful medical students (the main three being Loyola, Boston University and Georgetown). Younger programs are not as likely to boost your probability of matriculation. I graduated from the BU MAMS program last year... definitely helped.

By post bacc I meant enrolling as a post bacc student at a university in my city and taking extra undergraduate classes to raise my gpa.