Post-Bacc questions from a non science college senior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

psu228

Hello everyone,

I'm a history and middle eastern studies major who will be graduating from college next year. I've also taken a good amount of my pre med pre reqs; both gen chems, more than the required bios, stat, and the labs that accompany each. I have yet to take the dreaded o chems or physics.

Because I do not need these science classes to graduate, I have always debated whether or not I should continue taking them, whether or not medicine is the right path for me. I strongly believe you need to be 100% committed to medicine to succeed, and I'm not sure I am that, although no other vision of my future has made me so excited. I'm currently interning at a well respected middle east think tank and have decided this work isnt for me. I had kind of put medicine on the back burner but now I am actively trying to decide upon a path to explore it once again.

So my question is. are there post bacc programs where you can just take the pre reqs you need, rather than the whole gamut? I don't feel as though I need to take bio and gen chem again because I did well in them. I also think I could manage taking both o chems this year and maybe one of the physics classes. Meanwhile, I plan on volunteering at my hospital again to see how it feels being in that environment.

Thanks for any answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes there are. You can do an informal post-bacc which just gives you the classes you need.

I was an Anthropology and Medieval Studies major and then skipped to advanced science in graduate school so I had to go back and take some of the undergrad requirements while having some of the others. I went to a community college to do the post-bacc and I just started medical school.

Yes there are. You can do an informal post-bacc which just gives you the classes you need.

I was an Anthropology and Medieval Studies major and then skipped to advanced science in graduate school so I had to go back and take some of the undergrad requirements while having some of the others. I went to a community college to do the post-bacc and I just started medical school.
Congratulations! Thanks for the insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Thanks for the insight.

Thanks.

I can already say that I have been in school one week and have taken two tests that nearly broke my brain. Send help! ;)

Reactions: 1 user

I thought nearly all medical schools required science courses to be from 4-year universities? How were you able to get away with community college classes?

I thought nearly all medical schools required science courses to be from 4-year universities? How were you able to get away with community college classes?

Many med schools accept community college classes. You can check to see which ones do from their websites. I think the AAMC's MSAR may also have that information.

They don't. I think that is just SDN lore. I had a formal post bacc program actually lie to me about that about the school they linked to. When I asked the school about it, the MD said she loved post-baccs from CCs as that is what she did.

They require you to have a 4 year degree and want evidence you can handle advanced sciences. I went directly to 400 and 500 level science credits and had almost none that met the actual pre-reqs prior to my post-bac at GPC. I had a ton of interviews with my community college credits. As I recall no one really commented on it.

They don't. I think that is just SDN lore. I had a formal post bacc program actually lie to me about that about the school they linked to. When I asked the school about it, the MD said she loved post-baccs from CCs as that is what she did.

They require you to have a 4 year degree and want evidence you can handle advanced sciences. I went directly to 400 and 500 level science credits and had almost none that met the actual pre-reqs prior to my post-bac at GPC. I had a ton of interviews with my community college credits. As I recall no one really commented on it.

Thanks! This changes a lot!