Post Bacc vs. Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jules0328

DOSchoolWannaBe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: I already have three science pre-reqs under my belt, Bio I, Chem I and Physics I. However, I took these three at a community college nearby. I have applied to a Post Bacc for this coming fall so that I may complete the rest of my pre-reqs at a 4 year university. Will adcom's look down on this fact? I am hoping to get into this Post Bacc program soon, otherwise, I may have to keep going to community college and work full time. What do you guys think?

I took these sciences at a community college to make sure that I was able to do the work (even if it was to be on a community college). Any suggestions? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You still have the second sequences to take, as well as orgo and maybe biochem. Adcoms will be convinced that you can handle the work if you do well at the 4-year institution.

Don't sweat it. Just do well.
:)

chicagomel said:
You still have the second sequences to take, as well as orgo and maybe biochem. Adcoms will be convinced that you can handle the work if you do well at the 4-year institution.

Don't sweat it. Just do well.
:)

Yeah, I kind of thought that. But, wanted to get the forum's opinion. Hopefully, Hofstra will admit me for the fall. Thanks :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
jules0328 said:
:confused: I already have three science pre-reqs under my belt, Bio I, Chem I and Physics I. However, I took these three at a community college nearby. I have applied to a Post Bacc for this coming fall so that I may complete the rest of my pre-reqs at a 4 year university. Will adcom's look down on this fact? I am hoping to get into this Post Bacc program soon, otherwise, I may have to keep going to community college and work full time. What do you guys think?

I took these sciences at a community college to make sure that I was able to do the work (even if it was to be on a community college). Any suggestions? :confused:

Hi jules0328,
I think I have read 75% of the posts that are listed in this "post-bacc" forum <geeze I have too much spare time> and from what I have gathered is that the preferred way to go is with a 4-year university. AGAIN where there is nothing wrong with a community college the preference leans more towards 4-year Univerisities. Post-bacc's too are a well structured and for those who curriculum is designed to meet the needs of college graduates who have decided to pursue a medical education but who have taken none or only some of the basic science courses required for admission to medical school. To me it is very promising although it does come at a price. If you could afford this without consequences then by all means.... :)

so you say that there is nothing wrong with comm college but 4 year is better? so adcoms would be ok with the fact that you got a low gpa from a 4-year school but then raised your gpa through comm college classes? I have a low gpa from a tough 4 year school and would like to go comm college to raise my gpa but I'm worried that it won't be taken seriously. anyone out there ever talked to an adcom about this kind of thing or know more about it?

thanks!

aggiecrew said:
so you say that there is nothing wrong with comm college but 4 year is better? so adcoms would be ok with the fact that you got a low gpa from a 4-year school but then raised your gpa through comm college classes? I have a low gpa from a tough 4 year school and would like to go comm college to raise my gpa but I'm worried that it won't be taken seriously. anyone out there ever talked to an adcom about this kind of thing or know more about it?

thanks!

I dont think it'll be very impressive to get better grades from an easier school. It doesn't show any improvement.

stinkycheese said:
I dont think it'll be very impressive to get better grades from an easier school. It doesn't show any improvement.

While I understand why everyone is so hung up on the comparison in GPA's between a CC and a 4 year institution, I still think that a science is a science. Quantum mechanics still has to be taught and is not going to change from one end of the world to the other. Some of you who have gone to ivy league schools may disagree. I for one, have completed three science pre-reqs and, personally, do not feel that I have been taught any less than had I attended a 4 year institution.

Bottom line is, in truth, adcom's is in this game for two reasons: 1) they like to weed out people and make it hard 2) Within the educational realm of it all, it comes down to money. In other words, they want you to spend the money, being in debt is the American way, it sucks, but its true. I will probably get bashed for saying this on this forum by you guys, but I think its the truth.

Having gone to CC and taken three science pre-reqs, I can tell you, unless I am an idiot, which I dont think I am. Having gone to two pretty decent schools for undergrad and grad work. I think that most CC make sciences difficult because they dont want students thinking it's 13th grade and since its community college they can just slide by and get a good grade. I know that I have had to work my butt of at Community College to attain the grades that I have gotten. This is, of course, my experience, here in New York, at Nassau Community College.

I think the difference between a community college education and a four-year education is immeasurable, and I think it has nothing to do with how much money you spend.

You know.. having attended both types of schools (University of Virginia, and several schools from Virginia's Community College System)... I sometimes think a community college is the better way to go for classes that really need individualized attention. For example, I signed up for Physics I at UVA...and the prof has this thick German accent. I can't understand a word he was saying! So I dropped that and took it at community college. Also, I think some professors at big schools make a class difficult just for the sake of making it difficult. I like a teacher whose class I retain a great deal of information from taking. Trying to set a world record pace in a course usually results in minimal genuine learning at least from my experience and observations.

stinkycheese said:
I think the difference between a community college education and a four-year education is immeasurable, and I think it has nothing to do with how much money you spend.

I highly disagree! I have learned more taking community college courses than I ever did at my 4 year college --Binghamton University.

Ok...what do you do when you can't afford to take pre-med in a post-bac or at a 4yr university. Even my state schools cost $300+ per credit hour which equals 2 science course at my local CC.

As it stands right now, I don't have a choice in the matter and I rather take classes at my local CC then not take anything and risk never getting into a medical school.

drstudent said:
Ok...what do you do when you can't afford to take pre-med in a post-bac or at a 4yr university. Even my state schools cost $300+ per credit hour which equals 2 science course at my local CC.

As it stands right now, I don't have a choice in the matter and I rather take classes at my local CC then not take anything and risk never getting into a medical school.

Good question, I would have to say that to do your best to at least get into a 4-year... this will have to be your starting point of your loans. Many banks don't discriminate towards educational loans (unless you have a serious credit problem). I have taken that step I am enrolled in a state school where I know the two classes that I am taking are equal to a full time student at a cc. I think of it as an investment to the future - the long road ahead.
If you still insist on going to a cc then ace it and be prepared for to score near perfect on those MCATs.

"Study hard, get GREAT grades, show you're determined."

To the OP - Call the medical school(s) you're interested in and have a chat with Admissions. More than what people think on this board to you what is more important is what the guy in admissions thinks.

Now down here in Texas CC and 4 year universities have a system where classes can easily be transferred due to a common course system. Essentially the class contents are similar (even the textbooks could be similar). However my situation is a little different in the sense that I'm about to wrap up graduate school and need to get the pre-reqs under my belt to take the mcat. CC fits better with my schedule since I work full time 50-55 hrs on call plus 168/wk on call every month, goto grad school, and also will start taking science classes.

So call the school, discuss your case, and do what's right for you not what others here think is right for you.

Good Luck,
-Y_Marker

well jus consider it this way, when schools are selecting students to admit, and they see a student who got As at CC compared to another student who got As in a 4year instituion (disregarding all the other qualifications and experience), i would imagine medschools would choose the student who got As in a 4 year institution over the cc student. Not to say theres anything wrong with doing well at CC, but i can imagine that doing well at a 4 year instituion would make you just that much more of a competative applicant for medschools.

Y_Marker said:
To the OP - Call the medical school(s) you're interested in and have a chat with Admissions. More than what people think on this board to you what is more important is what the guy in admissions thinks.

Now down here in Texas CC and 4 year universities have a system where classes can easily be transferred due to a common course system. Essentially the class contents are similar (even the textbooks could be similar). However my situation is a little different in the sense that I'm about to wrap up graduate school and need to get the pre-reqs under my belt to take the mcat. CC fits better with my schedule since I work full time 50-55 hrs on call plus 168/wk on call every month, goto grad school, and also will start taking science classes.

So call the school, discuss your case, and do what's right for you not what others here think is right for you.

Good Luck,
-Y_Marker

:thumbup: This is the best comment that I have seen on this subject being that I just can't follow the same footsteps that others have taken. I'm in a degree completion program for healthcare professionals. The program I'm in does not offer us the option of doing pre-meds along with mandatory courses we have to complete. Going to a CC is the only option for me and if this puts me at a disadvantage compared to other applicants, then I will just have to show strenght in other area's to over compensate for me going to a CC to do pre-med studies. I have to make the best decision based on my own situation.