Post bacc vs masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joemario

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say post-bacc, because those grades will count in your undergrad GPA and help boost that up, unless you're getting a masters from like Midwestern or something, which are known to be feeders into dental schools. I like post-bacc though, and am doing an informal one myself, where I'm just taking additional "recommended" courses through a nearby university. So I won't be getting a certificate or anything, but will get grades from a top-notch school on my transcript.

Good luck, and let me know if I can answer any questions!

I recommend post-bacc as long as there are still upper level sciences to take.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mentioned Midwestern as a feeder. Never heard that before. Know any ther schools like that or a forum thread I could check out?

If any gpa is below 3.0 I would recommend a masters in science...got me many interviews, a few acceptances and a full time job in between!

The Midwesterns feed into themselves and are "well-known". I think Nova has a program too, actually, a lot of schools do. I've seen a link on it a couple of years ago, just try messing around with the search words? Or maybe periopocket and others like him can chime in on what masters programs are good or not. I haven't done it nor really researched it much, myself, so I don't know. Sorry :-/

The biggest question every dental school will ask is "can you cut our coursework?" I think you would be a good candidate for a 1 year MS degree. It would give you a chance to prove yourself academically at a graduate level. Look at the curriculum when choosing. You'll want to be sure there is a solid base in the sciences including anatomy (preferably cadaver based). Some programs also have externships, which can boost your in the field experience if you need that too. But if you go the MS route, you need to be pretty focused. They tend to be very intensive as you are packing a lot into a short program. The AAMC website has a nice search engine; many of the programs listed there are open to dental students as well. https://services.aamc.org/postbac/

Good luck!

I finished a 2 yr program In a couple semesters with a 4.0 and graduated undergrad with a 3.2x

Definitely get an MS...it gives you an extra edge!

If any gpa is below 3.0 I would recommend a masters in science...got me many interviews, a few acceptances and a full time job in between!

What was your school list? I just finished my SMP at Rutgers last semester with a 4.0 and am applying. I cant find many schools that will look at my grad gpa. I know other considered but what schools did you apply to/ recommend applying to.