post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n0chi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a way to setup a post bacc at the same university i currently attend? i would graduate in may 2007, but my gpa leaves something to be desired. (3.0) i was wondering how i would go about setting up an additional year here and perhaps redoing phy, chem, bio reqs as it mentions in the faq, if i dont get into a DO school this application cycle?
is there a "post bacc" committee or something?
cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

you should proabbly check in with your school's registrar. many schools have post-bacs in their curriculum, its a matter of setting it up. But check with the registrar, as many schools have different policies, deadlines, requirements, etc. since you applied to DO school, it sounds to me that you have your prereqs done (namely physics, bio, etc etc)

Why dont you apply to an SMP instead, or georgetowns CAM program to tailor to your DO application.

right i have already completed all the courses and will be graduating with a BSc in neuroscience.
i was under the impression that in a post-bacc one needs to redo the prereqs in order to get good scores on those classes a second time around? would an smp be something like that? i thought smp would be a masters degree, and it wouldnt count towards undergrad gpa?
thanks for the help!

there's 2 types of postbaccs: one for people who've had little to no science in undergrad, and those that want to enhance their current credentials (you'd be in the second category). this forum has people from both categories so it can get confusing at times.
this website helped me TONS if you do decide to do a formal postbacc program:

http://hpap.syr.edu/LISTPB.HTM

i think that if you do a postbacc it still counts as your graduate gpa and is separate from undergrad.
ok good luck!