Post-baccalaureate Certificate Program at Cal State U. Los Angeles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tingteenfone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am recently accepted to a Post-baccalaureate Certificate Program for Pre-Health Professionals at Cal State LA, it's a one year programs. Anyways, what I found weird is that this program requires only a minimum of 24 units of in order to receive the certificate, so that's more like just 6 classes in a year, if I only take 6, do you guys think that's too little to show my gpa improvements? I say so because its only 6 classes, and even if I get most A's in all my classes, its still only 6 classes, won't look too spectacular. I am also working part-time, so I am at most taking 1 or 2 classes each quarter, my undergraduate GPA was cum 3.30 and 3.38 science from UCSD, that bad at all, and I am starting the post-bacc program next month, you guys think its okay to just take 6 classes? Please help me out thanks.

UCSD alum 06
3.30/3.38
22/23/18

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that undergrad credit hours are EXTREMELY different from grad credit hours. Most grad schools consider 9-10 hrs per semester the minimum for a full time student (in undergrad its usually 12-14). 24 hrs of grad school is plenty (and I always took ~20 hrs per semester in undergrad). Besides, if youre in a post-bac, your grades will most likely not be "boosting" your old GPA. They'll get factored into a new GPA. Ask you advisor. Their entire job is to deal with pre-health questions like this. I'm taking about 28 hrs over a one year post bac but I don't think 24 is too few if you get all As. If you bet Bs though....then 24 may be too few. Remember that getting a C in graduate school is basically the same as failing the class and will seriously hurt your chances of getting into professional school. So don't overload yourself if you don't need to and risk low grades.

Thanks Pyriot, that really helped alot. I will take just one class this coming quarter since I might have interviews coming, besides I want to see how the classes are in a post-bacc program. There are really so few classes to choose from, and only 4 classes are offered for post-bacc students the incoming quarter, they are: Fundamentals of Toxicology, Endocrinology, Neurobiology of Development, and Gene Manipulation. I plan to take one of the 4, can anybody please help me in deciding what class to take, which class do you guys think will help me in dental school in the future? To me, those 4 classes seemed kinda "useless" I don't know if we will be taking any of those in dental schools, I rather be taking histology or anatomy, but my post-bacc program doesnt offer those, so I must choose from the above 4 classes, guys, please help me and advise which is the best to take, thank you guys sooo much.