Post Baccalaureate Programs help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katie215

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, So i am currently an RN, I have been working as an RN for a year but before I switched my major to Nursing, I was Psych/Premed, however I thought getting my BSN would be faster and better for me as I finished college within 4 years after High school. Well now I decided that I still want to pursue a career in medicine since I am not satisfied with being a nurse or getting a higher degree in nursing because everything in nursing is broad, and for me I like to understand concepts from a micro to macro level . Anyways so I took gen chem I/II with lab, Microbiology, and Anatomy and physiology I/II which in which i received an A in all but gen chem II. I graduated with a BSN, 3.89 GPA, summa cum laude from Thomas Jefferson University school of nursing and I am looking into post baccalaureate programs in order to finish the premed prerequisites however most ask for SAT scores. I never cared much in HS and scored pretty low out of 2400, i got 1360/2400 which was pretty terrible. I am wondering how the SAT scores are weighed among everything else. Does anyone have experience with this? I am currently looking at Temple's post bac program and Bryn Mawr's

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, So i am currently an RN, I have been working as an RN for a year but before I switched my major to Nursing, I was Psych/Premed, however I thought getting my BSN would be faster and better for me as I finished college within 4 years after High school. Well now I decided that I still want to pursue a career in medicine since I am not satisfied with being a nurse or getting a higher degree in nursing because everything in nursing is broad, and for me I like to understand concepts from a micro to macro level . Anyways so I took gen chem I/II with lab, Microbiology, and Anatomy and physiology I/II which in which i received an A in all but gen chem II. I graduated with a BSN, 3.89 GPA, summa cum laude from Thomas Jefferson University school of nursing and I am looking into post baccalaureate programs in order to finish the premed prerequisites however most ask for SAT scores. I never cared much in HS and scored pretty low out of 2400, i got 1360/2400 which was pretty terrible. I am wondering how the SAT scores are weighed among everything else. Does anyone have experience with this? I am currently looking at Temple's post bac program and Bryn Mawr's

Hey! I applied to Bryn Mawr on Monday (9/26) to submit within the EA deadline (10/6). I was actually just looking at Temple's BCMS Post-Bac yesterday and will likely apply (although I don't think the application goes live until 10/15).

Tell me if I read this correctly, but under Temple's "Requirements" tab on the Admission's page for the program, they state: "The required cumulative SAT score is 1400 out of 1600 points (combined Critical Reading and Math sections), with no section less than 650." I think that applies to both the ACMS and the BCMS programs? However, it can't never hurt to contact them and discuss.

I don't think Bryn Mawr has minimum SAT score, but I know the program is competitive. Fortunately you have a very strong undergrad GPA. For Bryn Mawr, I would maybe send a note that explains your SAT score and be sure to highlight your very strong performance since then? Just a thought. Good luck!

Another thought to keep in mind: Bryn Mawr requires that students have taken fewer than half of the required courses before matriculation, or that you took the classes more than 5 years ago. Not sure when you finished your BSN.

Have you looked at going back to Jeff? I know their "P4" program is young, but I chatted with an admissions rep and it seemed encouraging. They have linkages with Jeff and PCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)

Temple has a minimum SAT score requirement of 1400 for math + verbal

Thomas Jefferson also has a postbac program too! just wanted to mention it since its close location wise to the other two you mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
Thomas Jefferson also has a postbac program too! just wanted to mention it since its close location wise to the other two you mentioned.
That's a good point. I spoke to a very friendly admissions counselor there. The TJU program is relatively young which gives you some flexibility. They offer 1-year and 2-year programs, although 2-years seems like a pretty long amount of time/money to spend on premed req's. They also have linkages with TJU and PCOM (MCAT required for both). May be worth looking in to.