Post-baccs/SMPs...which provide linkages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatwhy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont think I'll be able to get into medical school this cycle so I was wondering if there are any SMPs or post baccs you guys can recommend. There are just so many of them that I can't figure out which are worth it. Have any of you guys had success with them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The first question is why do you think your app cycle will be unsuccessful? What areas of your application were lacking? How would an SMP address those areas? An SMP is not always the best move after an unsuccessful app cycle.

I dont think I'll be able to get into medical school this cycle so I was wondering if there are any SMPs or post baccs you guys can recommend. There are just so many of them that I can't figure out which are worth it. Have any of you guys had success with them? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I can't help but notice you've asked/investigated this question several times before and have had it answered several times before... You should go back and re-read them. I'm not sure you're going to hear anything much different from what you've already been told.

It depends what you mean by "worth it" as some programs fulfill different purposes for each candidate. There is a brief list in one of the stickies in the postbac forum (even though it's not up to date, those programs still exist and are good SMPs) and you've also been shown the AAMC postbac search feature. You can filter it by your specific needs (e.g. academic record enhancers, career-changers, etc) and graduate vs undergraduate level. Then once you get your list, you can go through each program and view their admissions/FAQs to see if they provide any "linkages", etc. If you don't find those answers you're looking for on their FAQs, then contact them and ask directly.

I'm going to re-quote gonnif's reply to you from a year ago again here for questions you need to be asking when you contact the programs:

SMP's can be worth it or not; there are no standards for when application, what linkage means, how courses are organized, what advising is done, etc. For that matter, there is no standard definition of what an SMP and each program is run differently. Here are a few items that you need to find out about each program you are considering:

1) Is the SMP designed for career changers, GPA enhancers, etc?
2) What is their criteria for acceptance? Do they require MCAT?
3) Is the program under the auspices of a medical school? Is it run under a general University administration?
4) What is their success rate? How many students do they have?
5) Are classes just SMP students? Mixed with medical students? other postbaccs? Or just standard class offered to all campus students?
6) Is there dedicated advising?
7) What is the criteria for certificate/degree? Are you required to get minimum GPA for a committee letter? (read next item)
8) What is their success rate? How do they count that? Do they deny committee letter to those who dont make minimum GPA, thus reducing those who apply and increasing there success rate?
9) What schools do they have linkages mean? Guaranteed interview? Placement? What connections do they have?

I could go on, but you get the idea

In short, I'm not sure anyone has a magical list for you. You still have to research it yourself because only you know your situation and what you want/need.