Post-doc applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blindchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd start a thread for those of us who are currently in the process of applying for formal post-doc positions. No idea how many people this includes...:confused: If there's enough people interested, I'd be happy to get a list going of interview notifications and offers and such like people usually do for PsyD/PhD applicants and internship applicants. So far I only have one application in (no news from them yet but the deadline was Dec. 1 so it's extremely early) but many more applications are waiting in line :laugh: Not entirely sure how many I'll end up applying to. At first I was worried since there weren't that many post-docs in my area of interest listed on APPIC but now they are coming out of the woodwork all over the place!

Anyway...anyone else on here going through the application process? Or any veterans willing to share insight into the process? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying for post-docs as well. I applied for faculty positions, but I haven't heard anything back, so I am thinking that I am not quite competitive enough without a post-doc. Not all is lost, however, I do look forward to gaining a bit more experience and getting some more manuscripts out before the tenure clock starts ticking.

I think the number to apply to is difficult to know. I am applying to eight, which I think may be a bit on the high side, since I hear research post-docs are easier to get than clinical post-docs, and most of the post-docs on my list are research-oriented. Luckily a few of mine give offers before the uniform notification day, so hopefully I can figure out where I am going before then (since sites will often tell you your status if you have a competing offer).

Good luck, everyone!

I will be applying to a couple (literally 2, I think) VA post-docs but also (and preferably) clinical jobs/ positions. However, I am VERY excited about a potential opportunity that has come about recently (not a formal post-doc), so I will keep everyone updated. Its neat to see the career direction of all the long-term SDN folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea as to how long sites typically take between the deadline and the time they start notifying people of interviews? I'm sure it fluctuates and depends on site, but didn't know if there was some sort of general time span (ie: for internship, a lot notify within a month of their deadline, if not sooner). I hope to hear from the postdoc I already applied to before the holidays, but I don't believe they are required to say anything if they are not considering an applicant any further so I may never hear from them. Who knows :p The site says nothing about timeline. Doesn't even state how many positions they are offering.

I'll be applying to probably 10-ish sites here, mostly for clinically-oriented positions with the possibility for research collaboration. Very best of luck to everyone; as erg said, it's nice to see how things are progressing career-wise for everyone here.

From what i have heard it can vary.

I am trying to be on top of that (after my experience of not matching during the first phase of the match last year). I already applied for one postdoc that was a PERFECT fit for me. And I already got a phone interview (I think they do a screener on the phone before extending site interviews). A lot of sites seem to begin reviewing postdoc apps in January.

Any idea as to how long sites typically take between the deadline and the time they start notifying people of interviews? I'm sure it fluctuates and depends on site, but didn't know if there was some sort of general time span (ie: for internship, a lot notify within a month of their deadline, if not sooner). I hope to hear from the postdoc I already applied to before the holidays, but I don't believe they are required to say anything if they are not considering an applicant any further so I may never hear from them. Who knows :p The site says nothing about timeline. Doesn't even state how many positions they are offering.

It's nice to see a fellow Phase 2 survivor going through the post-doc process! :) If I remember correctly, I think we had several sites in common during Phase 2 so I'm curious as to where you applied for postdoc (slight paranoia that it's the same site I applied to and have heard crickets from!) Feel free to PM if you prefer.

I've heard that lots of postdocs typically do one round of cuts, offer phone interviews, do another round of cuts, offer in-person interviews, etc and that most interviews occur during February. Anyway...congrats on the phone interview and best of luck with the site!!! :luck:

From what i have heard it can vary.

I am trying to be on top of that (after my experience of not matching during the first phase of the match last year). I already applied for one postdoc that was a PERFECT fit for me. And I already got a phone interview (I think they do a screener on the phone before extending site interviews). A lot of sites seem to begin reviewing postdoc apps in January.

It's nice to see a fellow Phase 2 survivor going through the post-doc process! :) If I remember correctly, I think we had several sites in common during Phase 2 so I'm curious as to where you applied for postdoc (slight paranoia that it's the same site I applied to and have heard crickets from!) Feel free to PM if you prefer.

I've heard that lots of postdocs typically do one round of cuts, offer phone interviews, do another round of cuts, offer in-person interviews, etc and that most interviews occur during February. Anyway...congrats on the phone interview and best of luck with the site!!! :luck:

Is this the only time during the year that post-doc positions are opened? Or do other openings become available early next year? I'm preparing my materials to apply, but I doubt that I'll make it this Fall.

The neuropsych match process is essentially in full swing right now, with deadlines generally starting in mid-December and going through early January, so that might be why a few of us are posting about this now. I know that positions for other specialties tend to come out on a somewhat rolling basis, and many of the spots I've seen popping up on listserves have deadlines in mid- to late-February. I'd imagine some will begin to trickle in even later as new funding sources become available.

The neuropsych match process is essentially in full swing right now, with deadlines generally starting in mid-December and going through early January, so that might be why a few of us are posting about this now. I know that positions for other specialties tend to come out on a somewhat rolling basis, and many of the spots I've seen popping up on listserves have deadlines in mid- to late-February. I'd imagine some will begin to trickle in even later as new funding sources become available.

I seriously cant imagine doing another freakin match. Npsych really thinks they're something special dont they...:laugh:

Thanks! I'll be applying for Developmental Psychopathology post docs. I saw some openings for training programs, but my advisor suggested that I apply next year. I asked so that I know if I 'push' now for my letters of recommendation or wait until January.

Also, wen places say that they starts reviewing applications on x date until positions are filled -- is it the case that positions actually happen to stay open or do they usually fill out? There is an opening and the application review begins mid December, so that's too soon, but I could potentially send my packet in early January. What do you know about this?

I seriously cant imagine doing another freakin match. Npsych really thinks they're something special dont they...:laugh:

:thumbup: So glad I'm not part of that match! Once (well...twice if you include Phase II) is more than enough for me!

Do you guys think it is possible to submit a postdoc app TOO early? A site I definitely want to apply to reviews stuff on a rolling basis (no deadline) and says they will review until the position is filled. The initial application requirements are very very minimal - I could send them out today no problem, via e-mail (as requested). It seems like after they review those materials, they may do a phone interview and request additional materials later if they are interested enough. Should I just go ahead and send it out today to get my foot in the door? Or should I wait since I know for sure they are in the midst of sorting through internship applications and most postdoc deadlines for this type of work are in January/Feb?

Being December already, I don't think "too early" applies. Admittedly some post-docs won't start looking until the Spring, though I think most would rather have a (good) applicant's information early. There can be a scramble around Feb/March and then whenever the Uniform notification date is for APPIC post-docs. The post-doc process is much more fluid, so there is little reason to not want to get your apps in, as waiting may cost you the shot at a site because someone else applied early and got the spot.

Members don't see this ad :)

Haha indeed, although I'm actually not stressing out too badly about this match (not nearly as much as was the case with internship). Given how fluid/uncentralized the post-doc application process as a whole is, I actually appreciate the modicum of structure afforded by the match. And this time around, there's not that same dire feeling of absolutely NEEDING to match; there may still be non-match sites available afterward, or I could always just look into securing an informal post-doc/supervision back near my grad program.

Having to pay another match registration fee isn't going to be much fun, though.

Having to pay another match registration fee isn't going to be much fun, though.

If you match, you'll forget about the fee. :D

One of the good things about the match is that you either match or you don't. Having to decide between Offer A or Offer B is actually more stressful. When i went through the process I felt like I was on, "Let's Make A Deal!!" because I had Offer A, Offer B, or roll the dice with the Match. I was lucky that my choices were all great options, so I just went with my gut.

ps. I can definitely see why some sites (UCLA, Hopkins, etc) have dropped out of the match in the last couple of years, as they can poach people before they submit their final rankings. Poaching definitely can pay off for those involved.

Last edited:
Haha I'll concede you that, to be sure--if I match, I'm sure the registration fee will be about the last thing on my mind.

If you don't mind my asking, did you end up going through the match, or did you take one of the non-match offers? And was this before APPIC/APPCN allowed you to ask for a "matching offer" from match site(s) if you had one in hand from a non-match fellowship?

Feel free to PM if you'd be more comfortable with that. Not trying to be nosy, just looking to get my bearings.

If a site requests "professional references" when listing application stuff that they would like to have e-mail to them, do they mean contact info for references or letters from references? I'll probably e-mail them to clarify, but thought I would ask. I've had sites ask for LORs and "reference contacts", both of which seem quite clear to me, but it seems like "professional references" could go either way, especially since they requested that materials be e-mailed (do they really want to try and organize my e-mail and three other e-mails from references for my application and do the same thing for all the other applicants? It's not like I have references for myself saved on my computer... in my experience, references submit/e-mail in their own letters unless everything needs to be snail mailed in one packet, in which case the letter is in a sealed envelope with a signature across the flap). Thoughts?

I can't speak to the specific phrasing you've mentioned, but I will say that a few different sites to which I'm applying actually will be organizing all those separate mats themselves; they require (or prefer) that recommenders directly send letters as signed email attachments, and that I email/mail my other mats in on my own.

I'd definitely email each site to clarify, since there seems to be a decent amount of variability.

I haven't seen any mention of the March 14 Uniform Notification Date on this thread yet. I should note that I am only looking at child-clinical post-doc positions, so I can't speak in anyway for generalists or adult positions with regards to what I am speaking of. However, I have noticed that many child-clinical sites have applications due between January and February. I have also noticed that many APPIC post-doc positions are pledging to follow these Uniform Notification Date procedures. I have also noticed that some non-APPIC programs have stated they are following this approach. Here is the policy (which are only recommendations, not requirements):

------------------------------------

Uniform Notification Date with Option for Reciprocal Offer (UNDr)
March 14, 2012

UNDr Procedure

All APPIC non-neuropsychology postdoctoral programs (those that do not offer the specialty of clinical neuropsychology) will make offers to applicants only on the APPIC selected date for offers. Programs may make an exception if an applicant is made another earlier bone fide offer, which must follow the guidelines below. On March 14, 2012, at Noon EST, the program will call their top candidate. Once an offer is made to an applicant, the applicant may proceed with one of the following actions: accept the offer, decline the offer, or hold the offer for four hours. If the position is held, it is considered to be frozen and cannot be offered to any other candidate during that time period. (At the four hour mark, the candidate must either accept or decline, otherwise the offer is no longer valid). Candidates may not hold more than one offer at a time. Once a candidate accepts an offer they should call the remaining programs that are lower on their preference list and inform them that they no longer wish to be considered at those facilities. Postdoctoral Training Directors (or their designee) will contact all applicants by phone or e-mail on the day of the UND to inform them of the status of the position. After a site and an applicant come to an agreement, a formal offer letter will be mailed to the applicant who will then formally accept the offer in writing.

Reciprocal Offers Process
Candidates who have been made an offer from a non-APPIC site (whether clinical or research postdoc or job offer) requiring a decision prior to UND date may contact an APPIC site request a reciprocal offer. The candidate would indicate the name of the program making the competing offer and how long they have been allowed to hold their offer. Before making a reciprocal offer to the candidate, the APPIC site should call the candidate's Internship Training Director and verify the offer or ask the applicant for written verification of the competing offer (e.g., a faxed or scanned letter or a forwarded e-mail).

When an APPIC program makes a reciprocal offer, the candidate is expected to accept immediately. The acceptance is binding. If a program declines to make a reciprocal offer, only then is the candidate permitted to contact another site indicating it is (now) their #1 choice.

Application Deadlines
Application deadlines are permitted at any point prior to UND as determined by each program.

Notification of Applicants Who are No Longer Being Considered
APPIC programs should notify applicants at the point that they are out of consideration for the position for which they have applied.

UNDr Posting by APPIC Postdoctoral Members
By September 24, 2011, APPIC postdoctoral programs are expected to update their brochures, website, and directory information to explain their use of the UNDr process.

Programs who Wish to Make Offers after UND
Programs are permitted to make offers after UND if they are uncertain of funding at time of UND.

Clearinghouse
No clearinghouse will be set up during this initial year. Programs that do not fill positions on UND may fill their empty positions on any future date.

I can't speak to the specific phrasing you've mentioned, but I will say that a few different sites to which I'm applying actually will be organizing all those separate mats themselves; they require (or prefer) that recommenders directly send letters as signed email attachments, and that I email/mail my other mats in on my own.

I'd definitely email each site to clarify, since there seems to be a decent amount of variability.

Just submitted app #2! :D Let the obsessive e-mail checking begin.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here come flashbacks from the internship application process last year :rolleyes::laugh:

Just submitted app #2! :D Let the obsessive e-mail checking begin.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here come flashbacks from the internship application process last year :rolleyes::laugh:

I'm a bit jealous; still waiting on a receiving a couple rec letters over here. Once those roll in, I'll hopefully be able to get a few applications out to at least my top sites. Good luck to ya!

I am in the process of applying to academic medical center / VA clinical post docs. Sent out my first application by email today. Finished another cover letter and waiting on LOR to include in the snail mail package. I want to be done with this before I head home for the holidays! Maybe 8 more cover letters to write?

WHEN writing a letter of interest for a position, how much detail should I include? I feel like I have the experience needed for the position and I wrote 2 pages single space and i am still not done. There are no instructions as to how long it should be.

I'm a bit jealous; still waiting on a receiving a couple rec letters over here. Once those roll in, I'll hopefully be able to get a few applications out to at least my top sites. Good luck to ya!

If it helps, the two I have submitted didn't need LORs. One just wanted "reference contacts" and then the site will contact them if they are interested enough in my app and the one I just submitted says they may ask for LORs later. The one I submitted today only wanted a cover letter and a CV initially so I figured I'd just get that one out ASAP!

WHEN writing a letter of interest for a position, how much detail should I include? I feel like I have the experience needed for the position and I wrote 2 pages single space and i am still not done. There are no instructions as to how long it should be.

The rule I've often heard is two pages, single-spaced (one site actually spelled this out as a requirement). It's tough, but just try to include "only the highlights," with the understanding that if they're interested in you as an applicant, that'll leave them with more to ask you about when they schedule your interview.

And blind chaos--haha thanks, that does help a bit. I've had one letter writer quasi-pull out due to other obligations springing up, so the LOR situation as a whole is a minor sore spot at the moment.

You don't want to try and close in the letter, you want to get them interested enough to want to interview you and find out more. 2 page max, though even that can be much for this early on in your career. I think my letters were 1.25 to 1.5 pages singled-spaced, though I probably lean to the "very concise" side of writing.

Cover letters should be concise and draw them into looking at the rest of your credentials. Overly long letters (more than 2 pages) are definitely a turn-off and an excellent letter could be just a page. Also: potential referents may be deep in pre-doc selection right now, so if you need a letter do everything possible to make your request with lots of advance time and lots of supportive materials to make the letter writing simple (eg: addressing details to cut and paste, highlights of the site and your fit with it). There is a post-doc "frenzy" that develops in January/February, but interesting post-docs do pop up throughout the year as projects get funded, so don't panic and ruin your internship experience by obsessing about post-doc--ESPECIALLY if your dissertation is not already completed and signed off. I see students avoid dissertation anxiety by substituting post-doc anxiety and then not be good post-doc candidates because they are not complete

I'm applying to 3 sites, it was four, but just found out my top choice pulled out due to medicare cuts :(
2 academic hospitals and one private practice with a relatively big name in forensic neuropsych. As a fall back I have my current psych assistant position.

re LOI, I agree with others 1 to 2 pages and focus on the highlights. I just took my internship letter and updated it.

all my sites are e-mail submission, so I don't have to wait on my letter writers, put together a package, and deal with the post office at christmastime. easy.

re: the appcn match, I kinda wish there were more sites that interested me there so that I could take part. I agree with t4c, I don't how I would handle the situation where I get an offer from site A when I really want to wait and hear from site B. Then when site B doesn't happen you have to crawl back to A and now they know they weren't your first choice. aww-kward. Any thoughts on how to handle this? Of course, I should be so lucky to be fielding multiple offers.

and good luck to everyone.

re: the appcn match, I kinda wish there were more sites that interested me there so that I could take part. I agree with t4c, I don't how I would handle the situation where I get an offer from site A when I really want to wait and hear from site B. Then when site B doesn't happen you have to crawl back to A and now they know they weren't your first choice. aww-kward. Any thoughts on how to handle this? Of course, I should be so lucky to be fielding multiple offers.

My challenge was Site A (Offer) was great, but Site B and Site C both asked to be notified if I received an offer, so they could (I assume) make their best offer/counter-offer. I was able to ask Site A for a week to sort out my decision, which allowed me to try and compare Apples to Oranges to Pears...because each site offered something the others did not. I'm sure I would have done fine at any of the three places, but I accepted the offer from the place where I felt like I'd fit best with the staff.

sydb, I'd recommend asking Site A for a week (which is pretty standard), as you probably want to look at relocation issues, schools (if you have kids), and other logistical stuff. In that time you can notify Site B and let them know you have an offer, but you are really interested in hearing their offer because you believe they'd be a great fit, etc.

I don't how I would handle the situation where I get an offer from site A when I really want to wait and hear from site B. Then when site B doesn't happen you have to crawl back to A and now they know they weren't your first choice. aww-kward. Any thoughts on how to handle this? Of course, I should be so lucky to be fielding multiple offers.

and good luck to everyone.

I have rather suddenly found myself in a position similar to this. I just got an offer for a postdoc (non-APPIC). I've only applied to two other places thus far, and one of those just offered me an interview (haven't heard from the other). There are several other places I planned on applying to that are strong fits for me, but most of them don't notify people for offers til mid-March. The site I have an offer from is a good site - not the *best* fit for me, but I'd be quite happy there. I feel like I have to wait a little bit as I have an interview for another site (they responded very quickly when I submitted my app so it's not like I can say I know I just applied but I'm no longer interested :cool:) but I don't know how long I could/should wait.

I just don't really know what to do. I think the place I have an offer from would be willing to wait, but I don't want to make them wait toooo long (nor do I know the best way to ask them to wait as sydb noted, they'll know they are not my top choice). Help! :confused::confused::confused: It's certainly a wonderful problem to have (especially for a Phase II survivor! This is the total opposite of my experience last year), but I have no idea what to do...

I could be really mean, apply to all the places I planned on applying to and then immediately request a counteroffer (for those that participate in that plan) since I have a non-APPIC offer already :smuggrin: Of course I wouldn't actually do that and would probably end up in a bunch of rejections anyway (You just applied ten minutes ago and you want an offer??) but it's funny to think about :laugh:

I just don't really know what to do. I think the place I have an offer from would be willing to wait, but I don't want to make them wait toooo long (nor do I know the best way to ask them to wait as sydb noted, they'll know they are not my top choice). Help! :confused::confused::confused: It's certainly a wonderful problem to have (especially for a Phase II survivor! This is the total opposite of my experience last year), but I have no idea what to do...

You can certainly phrase it in a way that doesn't convey the fact that they're not your top choice. Perhaps something along the lines of wanting to meet staff/faculty at other sites before deciding on what would be the best fit for personality, training goals, and interests?

Personally, I find it quite difficult to make any sort of ranking decision until after meeting the staff/faculty. During the interview portion of the internship match, what I had initially thought to be my "top choice" at any given point in time often turned out not to be the case after the interview :laugh:

thanks guys, that sounds like good advice. Seems like sites will be understanding of the situation and how it differs from the match process. I like what nononora said about phrasing it as wanting to meet faculty/staff at other sites first, to get a sense of best fit. nice reframe.

here's hoping to be in such a pickle.

You can certainly phrase it in a way that doesn't convey the fact that they're not your top choice. Perhaps something along the lines of wanting to meet staff/faculty at other sites before deciding on what would be the best fit for personality, training goals, and interests?

I don't mind asking them to wait a little bit, but the majority of the sites I'm interested have deadlines in mid/late February and won't notify til mid-March and I feel like it would be unreasonable to ask the site to wait that long even if I explain it nicely. I'm sure I won't get interviews at all of the sites, but it could still be March before I find out from some of them if I'm getting an interview or not.

If it helps, the two I have submitted didn't need LORs. One just wanted "reference contacts" and then the site will contact them if they are interested enough in my app and the one I just submitted says they may ask for LORs later. The one I submitted today only wanted a cover letter and a CV initially so I figured I'd just get that one out ASAP!

oh my where is that?

oh my where is that?

Sent you a PM :)

PS - if anyone else wants to chime in on the offer + interview elsewhere + applications-in-waiting issue....I'm all ears! I'm comfy with asking them to wait a little, but I'm hesitant to apply to other places as that extends the timeline greatly as most have Feb deadlines. Seems like too long to make a site wait.

Last edited:
If the offer you got is a top site for you and its in the area you want to settle down, I would seriously consider how long to put off making an official decision. They probably made the early offer to you, in part, because they wanted to make sure they would get a quality and dedicated post doc. Pushing things off for 2 months isn't something that i personally, if i were making a hiring decision, would find acceptable. thats only my thought though.....you gotta make the best decision for you :)

Sent you a PM :)

PS - if anyone else wants to chime in on the offer + interview elsewhere + applications-in-waiting issue....I'm all ears! I'm comfy with asking them to wait a little, but I'm hesitant to apply to other places as that extends the timeline greatly as most have Feb deadlines. Seems like too long to make a site wait.

If the offer you got is a top site for you and its in the area you want to settle down, I would seriously consider how long to put off making an official decision. They probably made the early offer to you, in part, because they wanted to make sure they would get a quality and dedicated post doc. Pushing things off for 2 months isn't something that i personally, if i were making a hiring decision, would find acceptable. thats only my thought though.....you gotta make the best decision for you :)

See, that's the rub. The site is a good spot, but would not be my favorite out of all the ones I was going to apply to (I would say it's maybe middle of the pack). It's more general than I would like. Location is generally a wash among all of them as I'm pretty open and can move easily. Pay is okay (for a postdoc) and in an area with a very low cost of living compared to where I am now (and on an intern budget, so overall it's a plus). I completely agree that a 2 month wait is too long. With that said, that basically eliminates all the postdocs I haven't applied to yet b/c I wouldn't have offers within two months from them.

For now, I'm going to inquire about the amount of flexibility in the position (as they mentioned there may be some and I'd like to see if there would be potential to work more in depth with my population of interest) and maybe ask to wait a little bit as I do have an interview with another place. That site is also non-APPIC and has been moving VERY quickly thus far so I could potentially know the outcome (offer/rejection) before the holidays.

Just to clarify for people...being APPIC/APA v. Non-APPIC/APA for post-docs doesn't matter in terms of licensure, though the "uniform notification date" does come into play. Some Post-docs have pursued APA-acred, but the vast majority of sites have not been acred. by the APA.

Joining in!

I probably won't be participating actively in the thread until I get some applications submitted though - right now, reading replies makes me feel behind! Hopefully :)xf:), my first application will be in by this time next week and I'll be feeling better about the whole process.

Now that I've finally gotten my letter of interest "template" to where I actually like it, I've started sending a couple applications out. I'm hoping to have the majority finished by next week, although the ones requesting mailed materials may have to wait a bit for my recommenders to get me additional letters.

Hope everyone's process is going smoothly thus far.

I have a list of 10 sites I'm applying to. Mostly UCC's (some with administrative opportunities), a VA with administrative/program development opportunities, and the VA National Center for Organization Development.

I haven't sent out any applications yet (still working on cover letters, and waiting on a couple letters of rec). It feels weird heading into this with much less structure than the internship process, yet still having most sites with due dates in January and offers in March (many of which are abiding by the uniform notification date). Kind of a weird in-between of structure and lack of structure. :scared:

At least it will be fun being on the other side of the interview process for pre-doctoral internships this year. :)

Best of luck to everyone!!

It feels weird heading into this with much less structure than the internship process, yet still having most sites with due dates in January and offers in March (many of which are abiding by the uniform notification date). Kind of a weird in-between of structure and lack of structure. :scared:

At least it will be fun being on the other side of the interview process for pre-doctoral internships this year. :)

The structure/no structure is definitely weird... I'm leaving for my first interview tomorrow (interview is on Monday morning). I got about 72 hours heads up of the day/time of the interview! :eek: They said it could be moved to January if need be but with an offer already in hand I wanted to get this interview scheduled ASAP. I'd definitely say get apps in early - the one I'm interviewing for on Monday says they give preference to apps submitted before Feb. 1. I should say so! I will have applied and interviewed at the site all in under 2 weeks total.

Also - definitely loving this side of the table for internship interviews! Just got the list of names along with times and dates of our interviews and I can't wait to meet everyone! :)

Yeah, it took me probably a couple weeks to fully digest and adjust to the odd mix of structure and no structure in the post-doc process. Between match/APPCN, non-match, and APPIC notification styles and dates, the lack of a central application to help ground everything, and everything I had going on internship- and dissertation-wise at the time, I felt a bit overwhelmed for a little while there.

Luckily, after looking at probably a dozen or so sites, it finally sank in that most are asking for essentially the same mix of materials (with perhaps an autobiographical statement or individualized questionnaire thrown in for good measure here and there). The hardest part after that was figuring out how each site wanted everything delivered, and then having to relay that information to all of my rec letter writers.

Good times, good times.

What is most people's experience with letters of recommendation?? I have to draft my own and the advisor and recommenders will take it from there. It is a job it's been taking me days and I'm only done with the cover letters for 3 programs I know for sure I'm applying to.

What is most people's experience with letters of recommendation?? I have to draft my own and the advisor and recommenders will take it from there. It is a job it's been taking me days and I'm only done with the cover letters for 3 programs I know for sure I'm applying to.

I, too, have had the experience of writing a letter for a recommender. Can the recommender send you a template (e.g., a de-identified letter that he/she wrote for someone else)? I found that a template provided a basic level of structure. As a result, the letter was so much easier to write. Of course, you would adapt it for yourself.

If you can't get a template from the recommender, look at other recommendations, even if you have to google random ones. The important thing is that you get something on paper so that you can get that letter done. You don't want to get lost/stuck in the details of the process. And don't be afraid to sell yourself and your strengths in the letter. Having to sing my own praises made it harder for me to write it, given that I have a tendency toward humility. My recommender defintely fixed that in the letter and made it a lot more exalting than I would have imagined. You don't want to go overboard, but don't undersell yourself.

Last edited:
I, too, have had the experience of writing a letter for a recommender. Can the recommender send you a template (e.g., a de-identified letter that he/she wrote for someone else)? I found that a template provided a basic level of structure. As a result, the letter was so much easier to write. Of course, you would adapt it for yourself.

If you can't get a template from the recommender, look at other recommendations, even if you have to google random ones. The important thing is that you get something on paper so that you can get that letter done. You don't want to get lost/stuck in the details of the process. And don't be afraid to sell yourself and your strengths in the letter. Having to sing my own praises made it harder for me to write it, given that I have a tendency toward humility. My recommender defintely fixed that in the letter and made it a lot more exalting than I would have imagined. You don't want to go overboard, but don't undersell yourself.

Thanks for your reply!! My advisor did give me letters from past students, except that I have done my statements/letters of interest and then ...avoided writing to write these recommendation letters. The depressing things in having to write these letters is that I realize now how much time I wasted on stuff that 'don't count' at the expense of writing papers..I simply did not know from the get go how important papers are. I now have to write the letters and I can see from past students who ended up being successful and who didn't. I am stuck with framing every piece of my experience in a positive light (instead of making it sound like an excuse) for why I wasn't productive.

Make oxid.ro your friend :) It comes in handy.

Our didactic last week was on post-docs, jobs, and licensing, etc. However, both of the main presenters came directly into staff postions after internship, rather than doing any formal training post-doc. Both agreed that they did this because they had little desire to be bossed around by potential axis II psychologists for another year...lol

We have 4 interns here and think only one is applying to post-doc training programs...

Last edited: