Post-doc applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been wondering the same thing too. Does anyone know if the VA has a policy about notifying applicants that they are no longer under consideration?

I got my first two invites today. Whew - I was really sweating bullets! I was actually working on a thought record earlier today looking at the evidence for and against the prediction "I'm not going to get postdoc interviews." :D
I would assume most sites would notify you out of courtesy. I have heard Pittsburgh, NOLA, and Tuscon VA's have notified people of rejections (luckily not firsthand!).

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Michigan, Cleveland, Hines, IL, or Milwaukee VA's?

Milwaukee sent an e-mail saying they'd notify by the 31st, so I'm guessing Monday or Tuesday. Two members of my cohort are waiting on news from Cleveland. Anyone heard from North Florida/S Georgia VA?

Members don't see this ad :)
My first interview is coming up in a little over a week in the US, and I'm thinking about preparation. I'm a Canadian currently in a Canadian internship site (but with US practicum experience), and we don't really do clinical post-doc fellowships here. As such, I don't actually know anyone who has already gone through this process before. Does anyone have any general words of wisdom for how post-doc interviews are different from internship interviews or any helpful resources? Thank you so much!!!

I am waiting on responses from:
Ann Arbor VA
West Haven VA
Minneapolis VA
WVU Primary Care
Miami VA
Memphis VA

Has anyone heard anything from these sites yet?

Thanks Acronym!

I know the sites are busy, with both internship and post-doc applicants... but it seems to be taking such a long time to hear back! I don't want to send out more applications, but then I get nervous when I don't hear back and start looking for more places to apply!

Thanks Acronym!

I know the sites are busy, with both internship and post-doc applicants... but it seems to be taking such a long time to hear back! I don't want to send out more applications, but then I get nervous when I don't hear back and start looking for more places to apply!

There really is a lot of variability, that's to be sure. There were a couple places that notified me within a few days (or even the same day) of receiving my materials, and there are a some that've taken a few weeks. I don't blame them, though, as I'm sure this whole process is basically a responsibility tacked on top of the faculty's normal schedule.

In my case, with so many of the sites I'm waiting on hearing back from interviewing at INS, my guess is they assume we'll be at the conference, so there isn't quite as much of a time crunch to provide notification for travel and requesting time off.

At least this will all be over and done with in a month's time, give or take, for many of us.

Hi Everyone,

Anyone else applying to pediatric postdocs? Neuropsych or otherwise?

I have noticed a great deal of variability with notification as well. I have a friend who went through this last year and she had heard by all the places she'd be interviewing for by the end of the first week of February. I'm not sure whether that's a relief or more stressful, but I know I'm looking forward to relaxing on how much I check my email :)!

I was fortunate to hear from all places I applied at in a fairly timely manner, but I did not apply to a lot of places. But it included VAs and AMCs. I heard before Feb 1 about interviews for all of them, but now I would not be surprised if a lot of sites are waiting a little longer as match dates get pushed back (I was neuro).

Well, I've applied entirely to child sites (no neuro). Heard back with interview invites/interviews from 4 sites so far. Haven't heard anything (even acknowledgement of my materials) from any of the others. Many of the sites I applied to did not have due dates until late January or into February, so hopefully I will hear from some more soon :)

Hi Everyone,

Anyone else applying to pediatric postdocs? Neuropsych or otherwise?

I have noticed a great deal of variability with notification as well. I have a friend who went through this last year and she had heard by all the places she'd be interviewing for by the end of the first week of February. I'm not sure whether that's a relief or more stressful, but I know I'm looking forward to relaxing on how much I check my email :)!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the 31st. So far, I've only heard from Hines VA. Still waiting for responses from Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Ann Arbor VAs.

I'm still waiting on VA's at Cleveland, Milwaukee, Memphis, Portland, and Gainesville. If anyone has heard from any of these, please let me know.

It's good to hear that I'm not alone in waiting to hear from sites. Hopefully, some of these sites are aiming to get offers out by the end (or the first) of the month. :xf:

Yes. I hope so. The waiting game has been my biggest challenge in the doctoral process.

Yes. I hope so. The waiting game has been my biggest challenge in the doctoral process.

Agreed.

I've heard back from a few more sites, so now there are only 4 (of 14) left. For the past three weeks, I've been telling myself, "this week is going to be THE week I hear back," but that hasn't exactly panned out at all, so now I'm just going along for the ride and trying to focus on finishing up as much non-postdoc work as possible.

Agreed.

I've heard back from a few more sites, so now there are only 4 (of 14) left. For the past three weeks, I've been telling myself, "this week is going to be THE week I hear back," but that hasn't exactly panned out at all, so now I'm just going along for the ride and trying to focus on finishing up as much non-postdoc work as possible.

I'm guessing mostly VAs huh. That is annoying.

I'm guessing mostly VAs huh. That is annoying.

Actually, for whatever reason, it's been the opposite for me--I applied to roughly a 50/50 split of VAs and academic med centers, and I've heard back from all but one of the former; still waiting on three of the latter.

I'm just waiting on 2 now. Hopefully they'll all notify by the end of the week.

Hi...anyone heard from the following:
Baltimore
Gainesville
Tampa
Bay Pines
Houston....
Thanks!! Going a bit nutty! :D

I heard from the West Haven VA today.

Ugh, same here. Portland was supposed to notify today... I know they still have some time left (according to Pacific Time), but I want to know, good OR bad! Has anyone heard from them?

I've only heard from 4 of 10 sites (2 interviews, 2 rejections). I applied to mostly counseling centers, but have yet to hear from Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial VA in MA. Has anyone heard from them?

I've only heard from 4 of 10 sites (2 interviews, 2 rejections). I applied to mostly counseling centers, but have yet to hear from Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial VA in MA. Has anyone heard from them?

I heard from them this week about the neuro track.

I heard from them this week about the neuro track.

Thanks! :)

I applied to the Center for Psychotherapeutic Change track. I'm hoping neuro responded earlier because the neuro postdocs in general tend to do so. Better with that frame of mind than assuming no response yet means no interview for me. :laugh:

Thanks! :)

I applied to the Center for Psychotherapeutic Change track. I'm hoping neuro responded earlier because the neuro postdocs in general tend to do so. Better with that frame of mind than assuming no response yet means no interview for me. :laugh:

I'd think that's a fairly safe assumption to make, given that the neuro match deadlines are something like a month ahead of the non-neuro/APPIC/uniform match notification date.

I still have two neuro sites (both academic medical centers) that I've yet to hear from; I did receive a slew (and by "slew," I mean something like four) notifications last week, though.

Of my two remaining sites, I know one interviews at INS, so I'm expecting to hear from them early this coming week. The other--no idea, but an on-site visit is essentially ruled out on my end at this point.

Hi everyone,

I am applying to a postdoc site that requests a copy of my internship aapi. Unfortunately, I did not save a copy of my aapi, and I am unable to log in to my account from last year. Does anyone know if it is possible to access an old aapi through appic?

Hi everyone,

I am applying to a postdoc site that requests a copy of my internship aapi. Unfortunately, I did not save a copy of my aapi, and I am unable to log in to my account from last year. Does anyone know if it is possible to access an old aapi through appic?

Your internship doesn't keep files of that stuff?

Your internship doesn't keep files of that stuff?

Agreed--they should hopefully (perhaps as a requirement?) still have it on file. I don't think it's possible to get it from APPIC anymore, as I'm almost certain I remember receiving an email after the match saying that once the site goes down between match seasons, your information is essentially gone.

I had a similar situation while applying a couple months ago, contacted my internship's secretary, and she was actually able to scan and email the information to me.

Hi everyone,

Is that even allowed by appic? I know they disallowed non-appic internship sites from using it.

Is that even allowed by appic? I know they disallowed non-appic internship sites from using it.

I'm not sure about this, but I would suggest calling them and asking them if they have a copy.

Since it's a prior year's application, and it's not being used to make an internship decision, my knee-jerk reaction would be that it's ok, but that's just a guess.

I've heard multiple people say that postdoc sites have asked for this kind of information, though, so I'd imagine APPIC is fine with it.

They offered some interviews last week (maybe on Thursday or Friday?). Doesn't mean they won't do a round 2 though!

I've not heard from Houston VA either (re: SMI). Please post if you've heard anything =)

Ugh, same here. Portland was supposed to notify today... I know they still have some time left (according to Pacific Time), but I want to know, good OR bad! Has anyone heard from them?
I am also still waiting on the Portland VA.

I have heard either about interviews or received rejections from the following that others have not listed yet:
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center
Denver VA MIRECC
Waco VA Center of Excellence
San Diego VA PSR
Palo Alto VA PSR
DC VA PTSD

Waiting on:
Waco VA PSR
Seattle VA Primary Care
University of Pennsylvania Aaron Beck Fellowship
West Los Angeles VA MIRECC
New Mexico VA PTSD (notification date is 2/17)
San Diego MIRECC

It seems like many notifications have still not gone out. Good luck to everyone!

I heard from the Miami VA Health Psych track today.

Today, I got a rejection letter (that I already knew was coming, given that they're interviewing today :rolleyes:) and an invite from one of my top choices. Thank God!

I'm finding it impossible to predict where I'm being offered interviews (even more so than with internship interviews), and the unexpected rejections (and overall uncertainty) have really been giving my confidence a beating.

Last edited:
Today, I got a rejection letter (that I already knew was coming, given that they're interviewing today :rolleyes:) and an invite from one of my top choices. Thank God!

I'm finding it impossible to predict where I'm being offered interviews (even more so than with internship interviews), and the unexpected rejections (and overally uncertainty) have really been giving my confidence a beating.

Congrats! Where was the invite from?

Anyone heard from any California postdoc sites??

Anyone heard from any California postdoc sites??

SF VA has sent out invites to some tracks yay! (pm me for track). I have heard Palo Alto VA has sent out rejections for ptsd and that most of the kaisers have sent out their invites and rejections.

I'm still waiting on Cleveland and Ann Arbor VAs...