Post-doc applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Argh. I feel like applicants are at such a disadvantage in this process :(

I will say, however, that I have heard of sites setting a deadline but then granting more time if needed.

Out of curiosity, when you contacted your #1 site yesterday, did they let you know exactly where you stood (i.e., you're ranked #_ on our list) or just approximately where you stood (i.e., you're pretty high up there)? I don't know what to expect from sites.

Best of luck to you in making these tough choices!

They gave me explicit rank information, not approximate info.

Now I am trying to contact #2, but can't reach anyone. :scared:

I hope you are right that I may get an extension of time with the early offer.

Members don't see this ad.

I already forsee mass chaos for Wednesday. I now see why the match process for internship exists. I wish the day before that sites would release what number rank you are among their applicants so that you could be planning things out. Good luck to everyone!!:luck:

Last edited:
Suggestions on the ettiquette of attempting to hold VA jobs offers (GS-11 entry-level staff). If HR get back to me with an offer, do you think if asking for more time to make the decision (while I wait on some other VA positions to get back to me) will look bad and/or make them want to move on?

In your place last year and it is hard decision when you have multiple offers as GS-11. Think about whether you will want relocation/rentition or any other incentives when dicussing the offer with HR. An HR response can take weeks! Also keep in mind that GS-11 positions are difficult to get. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
In your place last year and it is hard decision when you have multiple offers as GS-11. Think about whether you will want relocation/rentition or any other incentives when dicussing the offer with HR. An HR response can take weeks! Also keep in mind that GS-11 positions are difficult to get. Good luck.

My understanding is that HR informs up-front about hiring bonus and all that jazz, if offered. That is, its offered upfront or not at all, no? The position im waiting on has an LRP and a recruitment incentive, according its USAjobs profile/description anyway.

I have a couple other GS-11 interviews scheduled in the next 3 weeks, so I am indeed freakin about how to handle competing opps, should they arise. BUT, would you think it foolish to turn one down in hopes of getting another, since they are so competitive?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I haven't been on this site since internship matching days, so forgive me if this question is redundant. I am wondering if anyone can give me advice about the following: I applied to postdoc (clinical psych) positions that operated outside of the APPIC system, so there is no match day involved. I just got a call, which I have to return tomorrow, from a site I just interviewed at one week ago offering me the position via a voicemail message. But I still have one more site to interview at later this week (across the country), and I'm holding out for my dream position which hasnt even called me yet with an interview offer (but their app. deadline just passed). I have to call the site which has offered me a spot back tomorrow and am wondering what to say. Would it be impolite to ask them to wait one week? If I had one more week, I could have my second interview in a few days (and ask them to make up their minds fast! :)) and email the dream site asking them if they will even be asking me for an interview. I think I will have a lot more information in one week. Would this look really bad, or is it common practice to ask for more time? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!:confused:

Argh. I feel like applicants are at such a disadvantage in this process :(

I will say, however, that I have heard of sites setting a deadline but then granting more time if needed.

Out of curiosity, when you contacted your #1 site yesterday, did they let you know exactly where you stood (i.e., you're ranked #_ on our list) or just approximately where you stood (i.e., you're pretty high up there)? I don't know what to expect from sites.

Best of luck to you in making these tough choices!

#2 said I was ranked 2 for the only spot. :confused: Encouraged me to wait 'till Wed to see how things shake down.

More time granted for decision on early offer :banana: They were kind enough to agree to wait 'till Wed afternoon if necessary.

So the chaos and waiting continues... trying to keep my powder dry, as my TD recommended.

#2 said I was ranked 2 for the only spot. :confused: Encouraged me to wait 'till Wed to see how things shake down.

More time granted for decision on early offer :banana: They were kind enough to agree to wait 'till Wed afternoon if necessary.

So the chaos and waiting continues... trying to keep my powder dry, as my TD recommended.

I'm glad you got more time and that you're ranked so highly at your #2 choice!

Hi all,

I haven't been on this site since internship matching days, so forgive me if this question is redundant. I am wondering if anyone can give me advice about the following: I applied to postdoc (clinical psych) positions that operated outside of the APPIC system, so there is no match day involved. I just got a call, which I have to return tomorrow, from a site I just interviewed at one week ago offering me the position via a voicemail message. But I still have one more site to interview at later this week (across the country), and I'm holding out for my dream position which hasnt even called me yet with an interview offer (but their app. deadline just passed). I have to call the site which has offered me a spot back tomorrow and am wondering what to say. Would it be impolite to ask them to wait one week? If I had one more week, I could have my second interview in a few days (and ask them to make up their minds fast! :)) and email the dream site asking them if they will even be asking me for an interview. I think I will have a lot more information in one week. Would this look really bad, or is it common practice to ask for more time? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!:confused:

I am no expert, but from what people in this forum have been saying, I think it is reasonable enough to ask for a little more time. They should understand that it is a huge decision for you to make, especially without all the info in front of you. Congratulations on impressing them so thoroughly, though :)!

I am no expert, but from what people in this forum have been saying, I think it is reasonable enough to ask for a little more time. They should understand that it is a huge decision for you to make, especially without all the info in front of you. Congratulations on impressing them so thoroughly, though :)!

Thank you for this! I asked for a week and the director was more than happy to give me the time :) Good luck to everyone today!

I know some folks going through the post-doc match right now so thought I'd drop in and wish everyone the best today.

Good luck! :luck:

T-40 minutes before it all starts. Good luck everyone-- I hope the UND process goes super smoothly for everyone!!!

(I'm a nervous wreck.)

Didn't sleep much last night! I'll be happy when it's done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't sleep much last night! I'll be happy when it's done.

:laugh: I have a friend who ended our conversation last night with the comment that she needed to go to bed. She didn't want to stress herself out being awake all night fretting over today. She was relatively calm, thinking optimistically "even if" the worse happened. She's now "freaking out." Apparently she didn't get much sleep after all. :p

Again, sending happy thoughts to everyone! :xf:

20 min + and nothing. This is tough. I would much rather have it be like the match and have the band-aid ripped off at once than sitting here wondering and having my hopes drop by the second. Ughhhhhh.

20 min + and nothing. This is tough. I would much rather have it be like the match and have the band-aid ripped off at once than sitting here wondering and having my hopes drop by the second. Ughhhhhh.

I agree, and I never thought I would say this, but I miss the match.

No luck. Looks like I will be taking a job offer in private practice, which I really liked. Will be a struggle to build clientelle at first, but I think it will be a good fit for me.

Ended up getting my first choice! Relieved beyond belief. I can actually live in the same city as my fiance again!

I am at home, holding an offer from my 2nd choice, waiting to hear from #1... would still be thrilled to accept the position I am holding. drinking a beer while i wait :) what a day!!

Don't give up! I know for a fact that people are holding offers- someone is holding my #1, and I am holding someone else's #1... There are still spots to fill!!

Congratulations RGirl!!! It is nice to hear that some things turn out right for people in this career path!

I'm surprised it has been this quiet thus far... regardless, congrats to everyone with offers/plans!!!

I accepted an offer from my #1! Now I can be a health psychologist and see my husband on the weekends!!! YAY!!!

POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS IN HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
The Consultation-Liaison Division of Behavioral Health at Henry Ford Hospital offers Postdoctoral Fellowships in Health Psychology, which prepare psychologists to practice independently in the assessment and treatment of medical patients with behavioral manifestations or etiology.

Fellows develop expertise in differential diagnosis, behavioral problems associated with common medical conditions, consultation with referring physicians, and working with multidisciplinary groups, in one or more specialty areas. They develop supervisory skills, providing supervision and mentorship of junior trainees, interns, medical students and practicum students.

Fellows perform inpatient and outpatient consultations. They develop liaison relationships with one or more medical/surgical divisions and participate in the programs of that specialty area, including collaborative rounding, multidisciplinary team meetings, and journal clubs, representing the Department of Behavioral Health.

Fellows may be involved in research projects. Fellows can take advantage of a wide variety of medical education opportunities. The fellow is responsible for literature reviews, and presentations for journal club, case conferences, and behavioral health grand rounds.

Our fellows are prepared for jobs in health psychology and have gone on to work in a variety of clinical, academic and research settings.

Transplant Surgery
Henry Ford Transplant Institute is a Center of Excellence in multi-organ transplantation. The fellow provides comprehensive psychiatric and substance abuse evaluations for heart, lung, liver, kidney, pancreas, multivisceral, and bone marrow/stem cell transplant, and left ventricular assist devices for end stage heart failure. This includes rapid assessment and brief treatment of hospitalized medical patients, outpatient and inpatient pre-transplant evaluations, family meetings to mobilize support and provide continuity of care, and psychiatric follow up as needed. The fellow attends selection committee meetings, transplant support groups, and transplant educational opportunities as they arise.

Transplant research
Part-time research project to improve compliance in kidney transplant recipients

Anesthesia Pain Clinic
The fellow provides clinical assessments and brief treatment for patients with chronic pain who present to the Department of anesthesia, considering interventional procedures such as spinal cord stimulators and intrathecal pumps. The fellow works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team of anesthesiologists, nurses, and physical and occupational therapists. Some individual therapy and a Pain Management group are included to help patients live well despite chronic pain.

Biomedical Ethics Committee
The fellow supports the work of the Institutional Biomedical Ethics Committee which is a forum for education, case and policy review, analysis and recommendations for ethical issues that may arise in the hospital. The fellow coordinates a clinical and research initiative with the goal of developing more awareness and education around advanced directives, to empower families and patients with end of life decisions.
Fellows may contract for one year or two. Salary is $37,500 per year, plus $1000 professional development allowance. Henry Ford Health System has excellent medical insurance benefits. A PhD or PsyD and strong interest in health psychology are required. Fellows need to meet requirements for a limited license to practice psychology in Michigan and be licensed by the start date in July.
Supervision is primarily by Board Certified Health Psychologists, but multidisciplinary supervision is also provided by psychiatrists and other physicians and surgeons.

To apply, send a vita, statement of professional goals, and 3 letters of recommendation to:
Anne Eshelman, PhD, ABPP Senior Staff Health Psychologist Henry Ford Health Sciences Center
Consultation Liaison Psychiatry (Pallister Place) 2799 W Grand Blvd, Detroit, Mi 48202
313 916-2523 or [email protected]
Henry Ford Hospital is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educator. Visit henryford.com

I accepted an offer from my #1! Now I can be a health psychologist and see my husband on the weekends!!! YAY!!!

Congratulations, from one health psych person to another! I'm glad to hear so many people got their first place choice!

I haven't matched anywhere thus far. 10 applications, 2 interviews (neither panned out). I'm primarily looking in university counseling center settings, but also open to any organizational/consulting (interviewed with the VA NCOD but did not match), private practice (yet to apply to any), or VA (yet to apply to any, aside from the NCOD) positions.

:(

How was NCOD? I thought about that, but too much travel for a new father. Heard its super intense, no?

I haven't matched anywhere thus far. 10 applications, 2 interviews (neither panned out). I'm primarily looking in university counseling center settings, but also open to any organizational/consulting (interviewed with the VA NCOD but did not match), private practice (yet to apply to any), or VA (yet to apply to any, aside from the NCOD) positions.

:(

I'm sorry. That really sucks. I noticed that there have still been a number of sites popping up on the listserv and elsewhere, so hopefully something that fits will come your way.

Whew! That was really rough yesterday.

I never thought I'd say this, but I really missed the Match. The UND was a mess (IMO). Based on my experience (and that of a lot of my classmates and intern-mates), many sites didn't give out specific information to waiting applications, saying things like, "hang in there" rather than "right now, you're # so-and-so on our list and our top ranked applicant has until #:00 to get back to us." Not knowing where I stood made the process more painful than necessary, IMO.

I also felt like the advice that I was given from psychologists didn't adequately prepare me for how much more competitive this process has become in recent years, even compared to just a couple of years ago.

How was NCOD? I thought about that, but too much travel for a new father. Heard its super intense, no?

Yeah, definitely would have been a super intense fellowship (and for 2 years). But also would have been a great opportunity. Ah well.

VA White River Junction went unfilled. I wonder how many applicants looked at their ridiculous application and said, eh not worth all that hassle. I know I did.

VA White River Junction went unfilled. I wonder how many applicants looked at their ridiculous application and said, eh not worth all that hassle. I know I did.

Lol. What was their application?

Edit: Just looked it up. What a bunch of crap. I mean, for reals, I have Ph.D. and you wanna see my undergrad transcripts still? And all that other stuff looks like the APPI. I would just put a big X on there and send a copy of my APPI and my internship hours log.

Last edited:
Erg-

Yes, it is such an outlier compared to all other applications that I simply refused to to it. The subtext of that application is: "I will micromanage your every breath for the entire year you work for me."

I say, no thanks!!

Hey all,

Let's revive an old thread, shall we? :)

So my husband is moving to Texas for a 1 year residency beginning this summer, and I'm going to go with him for the year. I finish internship this August, and what I'd like to do is accrue my postdoc hours in Texas. However, we are coming back to CA immediately following his residency/me getting postdoc hours, and I want to be licensed in California. I've done all my training in CA and never even lived out of the state. I don't know the first thing about how this all works in Texas and the BOP site is not super helpful. I wish I could have applied for formal postdocs, but my husband's match day was a week after the postdoc UND so I decided to wait and see where he'd be... and now I need to find something for myself.

Does anyone know anything about how one can go about accruing supervised postdoc hours in Texas? I know in CA you can be a Registered Psychologist, work in an exempt setting, be a psych assistant, or do a formal postdoc, but in Texas, how does one get employed before licensure? I'd love to know literally ANY information anyone has. At this point I'm looking at jobs that I could almost qualify for (counselor, therapist, etc) but they almost all want you to have an LCSW or a LPC... help?

Thanks in advance!! :D

There were actually a few different sites I didn't apply to owing in no small part to their requiring undergraduate transcripts. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Not related to post-doc, but related to the undergrad transcript requirement and felt like sharing.

We are required to submit any/all undergraduate grades when applying for a graduate fellowship through NIH. I actually got SLAMMED on mine by one reviewer (gave me as an applicant a very mediocre score when I got great scores by the other two). The reason? I had nine Pass/Fail courses my freshman year of undergraduate (all passes mind you) that "might have inflated my undergraduate GPA" despite the fact that all my upper level coursework was A's, I graduated with ~170 credits, and I have a 4.0 in graduate school. The delightful part is this was actually coursework I completed in high school that transferred in - the fact that I was apparently taking ~50 credits my first semester of college apparently did not justify some of them being P/F:laugh:

Lol. What was their application?

Edit: Just looked it up. What a bunch of crap. I mean, for reals, I have Ph.D. and you wanna see my undergrad transcripts still? And all that other stuff looks like the APPI. I would just put a big X on there and send a copy of my APPI and my internship hours log.

I have yet to figure out why some of the VA jobs I'm seeing posted lately seem to require undergraduate transcripts.

I have yet to figure out why some of the VA jobs I'm seeing posted lately seem to require undergraduate transcripts.

I'm seeing more than VA sites requiring them. I'm sorely tempted to mark those that ask for undergrad transcripts off my list. I attended 3 universities for undergrad, and then I will need to submit transcripts for my master's to boot (different institution from my doc program). At this point, why do you care about my undergrad crap?! I think I've "proven" myself by now... Too many frakkin' transcripts!!! :p

I'm seeing more than VA sites requiring them. I'm sorely tempted to mark those that ask for undergrad transcripts off my list. I attended 3 universities for undergrad, and then I will need to submit transcripts for my master's to boot (different institution from my doc program). At this point, why do you care about my undergrad crap?! I think I've "proven" myself by now... Too many frakkin' transcripts!!! :p

I did the same, and that's one of the reasons, as mentioned above, that I scratched internship and postdoc sites off my list if they required undergrad transcripts.

Not sure if I'd do the same for jobs, but we'll cross that bridge when the time comes. I'd really, really hope that if undergrad transcripts are required at that point, the employer would be ok with just receiving paperwork from the last institution attended, assuming it includes coursework from the previous institutions as well. If all three of my undergrad transcripts are needed, I'll likely start looking elsewhere unless it's a place where I'm dying to work.

Is anyone else feeling the need to jump on the recent influx of new VA positions, even through you already have a post-doc lined up? I'm concerned that by the time I am done next year with my post-doc, there won't be many spots left in the VISN (region) I want to be in. (Plus, I wouldn't mind the pay increase from post-doc to full-time permanent employee, even if it means coming in at a GS-11.) However, I also feel that my post-doc experience would be helpful and provide good training. I don't think I am seriously considering ditching my post-doc, but I am wondering if others are in the same boat. SO annoying how this announcement had to happen following the Uniform Offer Date, and the jobs came up so quickly - I thought it would at least take a while!

Hey all,

Let's revive an old thread, shall we? :)

So my husband is moving to Texas for a 1 year residency beginning this summer, and I'm going to go with him for the year. I finish internship this August, and what I'd like to do is accrue my postdoc hours in Texas. However, we are coming back to CA immediately following his residency/me getting postdoc hours, and I want to be licensed in California. I've done all my training in CA and never even lived out of the state. I don't know the first thing about how this all works in Texas and the BOP site is not super helpful. I wish I could have applied for formal postdocs, but my husband's match day was a week after the postdoc UND so I decided to wait and see where he'd be... and now I need to find something for myself.

Does anyone know anything about how one can go about accruing supervised postdoc hours in Texas? I know in CA you can be a Registered Psychologist, work in an exempt setting, be a psych assistant, or do a formal postdoc, but in Texas, how does one get employed before licensure? I'd love to know literally ANY information anyone has. At this point I'm looking at jobs that I could almost qualify for (counselor, therapist, etc) but they almost all want you to have an LCSW or a LPC... help?

Thanks in advance!! :D

At a minimum, read the Texas requirements AND the California requirements for accruing post-doc hours, so you know what type of supervision is required and length of time/number of hours are the minimum. Getting a copy of the California Supervision Agreement signed before you begin would be a good idea even if they do not require it for out of state hours (DO check on this as it can diqualify hours not to have the supervision agreement signed in advance of start) You may also want to consider using time there, if a post-doc doesn't materialize, to complete all the requirements to take, applying to take, and then taking the EPPP. Having that all done will speed licensure in CA, even if you haven't gathered all the hours while in Texas. You also could find employment and gather experience that wouldn't "count" toward pre-doc hours but still be an advantage in subsequent job searches. (eg: inpatient experience often does not have psychologist administrative supervision, but the experience and what you learn from folks with other licenses can be invaluable.)

Is anyone else feeling the need to jump on the recent influx of new VA positions, even through you already have a post-doc lined up? I'm concerned that by the time I am done next year with my post-doc, there won't be many spots left in the VISN (region) I want to be in. (Plus, I wouldn't mind the pay increase from post-doc to full-time permanent employee, even if it means coming in at a GS-11.) However, I also feel that my post-doc experience would be helpful and provide good training. I don't think I am seriously considering ditching my post-doc, but I am wondering if others are in the same boat. SO annoying how this announcement had to happen following the Uniform Offer Date, and the jobs came up so quickly - I thought it would at least take a while!

Yes! I don't think I would; however, if a position opened up at one of two VAs near my hometown, I would be really torn.

It is very nervewracking! On one hand, we risk alienating staff at our postdoc site and on the other hand we risk losing out on job opportunities. If I knew in March what I know now, I wouldn't have taken a postdoc.

The fact that two of my supervisors have suggested trying for jobs despite my postdoc agreement only adds to my anxiety.

I did the same, and that's one of the reasons, as mentioned above, that I scratched internship and postdoc sites off my list if they required undergrad transcripts.

Not sure if I'd do the same for jobs, but we'll cross that bridge when the time comes. I'd really, really hope that if undergrad transcripts are required at that point, the employer would be ok with just receiving paperwork from the last institution attended, assuming it includes coursework from the previous institutions as well. If all three of my undergrad transcripts are needed, I'll likely start looking elsewhere unless it's a place where I'm dying to work.

Why? It's so easy to get transcripts these days. My undergrad institutions provided them easily. I've even gotten electronic "official" ones.

Why? It's so easy to get transcripts these days. My undergrad institutions provided them easily. I've even gotten electronic "official" ones.

Mostly because, as I went to three different colleges, it would've been another expense (time and money-wise) that I simply didn't want to bother with. Although you're correct with the whole e-transcripts thing; it wasn't available the last time I had to gather transcripts (back when applying to grad school), so I was still judging based on that past experience.

If I had been exceedingly attached to any of the sites in question, I might've given it more consideration; but as my "to apply" list was already too long at the time, that was just one of the criteria I used to start cutting sites.

Last edited: