PhD/PsyD Post-Doc in State different from licensure exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phipps

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All:

So, I just moved to a new home and State and was thinking about applying to post-docs different than the state I live in. How much sense does it make to do a post-doc in a State I will not get licensed in?? TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I did a postdoc in a state that I had no intention of staying in once I finished. Several colleagues did the same. I think it's quite common. I got licensed in another state while I was a postdoc. I actually still have that same license and work in a totally different state than that license is (I work for the VA).

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure that's common. More than half the postdocs in my program sought licensure in the state the plan to work/live in, not the one they did their postdoc in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure that's common. More than half the postdocs in my program sought licensure in the state the plan to work/live in, not the one they did their postdoc in.

Yup, same here, myself included. I don't think it is an issue, at all.

Just adding another "ditto" to the pile. So long as your supervisors meeting the requirement of being a "supervisor" and are able (and willing) to sign off on your hours in the state in which you want to get licensed, it shouldn't be a problem.

I finish my postdoc in Georgia this August. I started the process of getting licensed in Georgia because I was unsure about where I was getting a job. I took the EPPP and passed and then found out I got a job in Kentucky (around March) that I accepted. So I didn't go through the orals and state licensure process for Georgia and switched to Kentucky. It was not a huge issue (other than Georgia would not refund me the application fees so I had to pay fees for Georgia and Kentucky).

I echo what other people are saying. Make sure you get the hours needed for what state(s) you would want to apply for licensure for during your postdoc. Good luck!

Thank you all! As always, helpful.