Post doc to job timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milk Milk Milk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on a 1-yr clinical postdoc... Just started last month. When should I start looking and applying for jobs? I am finished with postdoc in July of next year. And if I found and accepted a job that started before the end of the year, would that be frowned upon? My postdoc is APA approved.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently on a 1-yr clinical postdoc... Just started last month. When should I start looking and applying for jobs? I am finished with postdoc in July of next year. And if I found and accepted a job that started before the end of the year, would that be frowned upon? My postdoc is APA approved.

Thanks

I would finish it, esp. since it's only one year. You probably want to be able to meet the most stringent state licensing requirements so you'd be better off having 2,000 hours of supervised experience anyhow just in case you move. If you don't finish the postdoc program, I don't know if they are required to give you your hours? Plus, it's a small world.

I would finish it, esp. since it's only one year. You probably want to be able to meet the most stringent state licensing requirements so you'd be better off having 2,000 hours of supervised experience anyhow just in case you move. If you don't finish the postdoc program, I don't know if they are required to give you your hours? Plus, it's a small world.

I agree with PHD12 in that I'd finish if for no other reason than it'd be easier to alter "prove" you finished your hours and obtained the necessary amount of supervision.

As for when to start looking for jobs, heck, maybe even as early as October/November, with the understanding that many places may not be able to hold the spot for that long. Beyond that, I'd say January or February-ish as to when to think about seriously starting your hunt (in my mind, anyway).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok got it... Figured as much. Now onto the timeline piece... I was thinking Feb or March