Post Finasteride Syndrome (and other weird phenomenon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whopper

Former jolly good fellow
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a patient with what I believe to be post-finasteride syndrome. This is something that might not exist.
In short several people who've taken finasteride in one form or another (in my patient's case it was for hair loss-Propecia) experienced brain fog and fatigue and stopped taking it. Well it's been months and his fatigue never improved.

So I did some looking into it and there happens to several people with the same. Yes maybe this doesn't really exist and it's all in his head but he's not the psychosomatic type. Never had problems like this before he's not neurotic and doesn't have underlying issues usually associated with psychosomatic patients.

Other weird phenomenon I've seen.
Patients with chronic fatigue syndrome I've noticed often times had some type of autoimmine problem with a medication or had infectious mononucleosis.

I've also noticed a few patients tell me they had a bad reaction after surgery from the anesthesia or an autoimmune issue that often times resolved and then afterwards could not tolerate meds at usual dosages. They'd have to take it at say about 10-20% the usual dosage before they couldn't take anymore.

Could all be coincidence but when you got a few of these patients that never met each other and say almost the same things happened to them I think there's something going on here.

Anyone have any patients with the above? Is there any identified phenomenon with this that's been published?

Members don't see this ad.