Post-grads with different application dates - HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coquette22

Shinigami
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I still have some time to think about it, I'm only going into third year, but it is something that's suddenly occurred to me. I'll be applying to lab animal programs. First choice is the DVSc at U of Guelph because I'd like to stay in Canada if I can. But I was talking to some people at the Merial conference about Colorado, University of Michigan, etc and I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Problem: Guelph's application is in the spring, the others are in the fall. So I can't apply to my first choice until applications for other schools are closed. Do I throw everything at Guelph for the first go around and then apply to the other ones after graduation if Guelph says no? :confused: Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

(How is it that I'm thinking about post-grad training already? Didn't I just enroll yesterday??)

Members don't see this ad.

Starting with this upcoming application cycle, lab animal residency programs are participating in the match (VIRMP). So applicants have to rank their programs in January, and the match results will be posted on February 3rd. You are basically required to go to the program you matched with. Which means that if Guelph apps aren't even due until the Spring, you would have to forego applying to US programs if you want a shot a Guelph. :-/

On another note, I applied to 14 (!!) US lab animal residency programs, interviewed at four, and received three offers, so if you wanna talk about US programs, shoot me a message.

Which means that if Guelph apps aren't even due until the Spring, you would have to forego applying to US programs if you want a shot a Guelph. :-/

Thanks, that's sort of what I thought. I wish Canada and the USA would line up with their application stuff! I suppose the only upside to that is it means less competition for Guelph since it would essentially only be Canadians applying. Assuming the worst, and I don't get into Guelph, do you think I'd still be competitive for the next cycle? Or do they really only want vets who have just graduated?

On another note, I applied to 14 (!!) US lab animal residency programs, interviewed at four, and received three offers, so if you wanna talk about US programs, shoot me a message.

Appreciated! There's a few American programs I'm looking at, though I need to contact several of them because they state "US citizens or permanent residents only" or "Must be licenced to practice in at least one US state", so I'd need to see if there'd be any flexibility for a Canadian with a permit. If not, that definitely narrows down the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, that's sort of what I thought. I wish Canada and the USA would line up with their application stuff! I suppose the only upside to that is it means less competition for Guelph since it would essentially only be Canadians applying. Assuming the worst, and I don't get into Guelph, do you think I'd still be competitive for the next cycle? Or do they really only want vets who have just graduated?

You'd definitely still be competitive, actually more so for some programs. Assuming, of course, that you do something with your DVM in the year in between.

Some programs actually prefer people who have a year of post grad clinical experience (Stanford comes immediately to mind). Others don't necessarily prefer it, but look upon it favorably (a lot of programs, including UPenn - where I am). Out of the six current resident at Penn, 3 are straight from vet school, two completed small animal internships first, and one completed her PhD first.

I honestly don't know of a single program that only wants applicants fresh out of vet school. :)

I honestly don't know of a single program that only wants applicants fresh out of vet school. :)

I wouldn't say "only", but the people I spoke with over at JHU said they actually prefer the newly graduated because their education is still fresh and (reading between the lines) they aren't entrenched in their ways and are thus easier to work with.

Stupid question, but will Guelph not participate in the match then? I'd email them and ask, Coquette - it'd be awesome if they'd consider that.

Last edited:
Good idea, redhead. I just emailed OVC to see if they'll be switching to the match program this year.

It is good to know that a lot of programs prefer vets that have been out for a year. I don't think our market is as flooded as it is in the USA, there's always places advertising for locum vets to cover leaves so I shouldn't have too much trouble finding work for a year. :)

I wouldn't say "only", but the people I spoke with over at JHU said they actually prefer the newly graduated because their education is still fresh and (reading between the lines) they aren't entrenched in their ways and are thus easier to work with.

Fair enough. My point was just that I don't think anyone's chances are drastically decreased, if at all, by working for a year first.