Post Graduate Studies - Anatomy MS/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taqwa Rabab'ah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I would like to thank everyone on SDN for such resourceful information and advice. I have been using this website throughout medical school but never signed up. As for now, I would like seek advice from you in regards of choosing an academic career in medicine.

I recently finished medical school and was not interested in applying to any residency. Since my last year in medical school, I have been going back and forth on whether to choose a residency/ Clinical career or pursue my interest in Academics.

Currently, I am offered a spot on a graduate program in my country, Jordan, to finish my Masters Degree in Anatomy and Histology, and then pursue a PhD degree abroad in the US or European Countries. This full MS/ PhD program is fully funded and I get paid a monthly salary so I will be free of any financial debt or obligation. The career I have in mind is to hold a teaching position in a well-renounced university or medical school and be involved in research. I also want to have a balanced lifestyle with the ability to enjoy my married life and raise my future children successfully and be there for them every step of the way. Some may be able to pull that off even with the busiest residencies, but for me I am assuming it will be very difficult and exhausting.

Now I have a few questions. First, did anyone pursue a career in academics and find it personally fulfilling? And secondly, would you suggest an alternative graduate program and why?

Looking forward to your advice and feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for replying :)
What really matters is an institute that pushes me to constantly improve myself and personally grow. But as a start, I would like to establish my career in my home country, Jordan, and then see what opportunities come along.