Post-Interview Communication Thread 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

classof2011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Keeping up with the trend of recent classes, I'm starting a thread to share our experiences about "who speaks after" for future generations. I hope this can be helpful. I'll post mine in alphabetical order to start.
Duke-no response to "thank you" email I sent, no communication at all, Dr. Thrall was very responsive before interview, however
Emory-"forced response" from love letter I sent, it seemed as if they didn't want to respond, hmph!But residents contacted me by phone and email a couple days before submission of ROL...responded to email but didnt by phone
Jefferson-didn't send them anything but continued to get obnoxious emails about coming to the one time only resident dinner and how I haven't rsvp'ed yet..
Mt Sinai- no emailed response to my emailed love letter but got phone call->voice mail from PD saying "I was very high on the list". Sinai in particular has been known to show the cold shoulder in the past so this is a change.
UMD/Shepp-PD responded to thank you email
UNC- semi-personal letter from PD and a big one!-> Very personal email from the Chair telling me to keep in touch with him
UTSW-No response from PD, Chief Resident, however, responded

Either I stopped interviewing at other programs or I didnt send them anything indicating I'd be interested in coming there (after interview)

All I have for you guys....join the party

Members don't see this ad.

UNC- a couple emails back and forth with PD post interview day, somewhat personalized
said some very nice and positive things but no commitments or inclinations of where they planned to rank me
WPIC- again a couple emails back and forth with PD (vaugely positive/let me know if you have any questions); didn't seem as enthusiastic about me as many other places
MUSC- initial response to email thank you, didnt hear back again until I contacted him a couple months later with a specific question
UNM- hand written thank you elicited no response, did not hear from them at all post onterview, even though they strongly suggested during the interview day that I would be ranked to match
UC Denver- generic email from t he PD(whom I didn't meet on the interview day) the Monday after interview stating it went very well, very generic
Duke- multiple emails from PD post interview day (positive things regarding inteview day and wanting to know if I had further questions)
HSS- a couple emails from PD saying they believed I was a good fit and they would be very pleased if I matched there
Lsu- no correspondence post interview
UVA- no correspondence post interview, except from program coordinator wanting feedback on the interview day
Palmetto- a call and multiple emails from the PD saying they would be very pleased if i were to match there
USF- an obnoxious number of calls post interview day (at least halfa dozen) by a couple different faculty members
Harbor UCLA- no correspondence post interview day
Wake Forrest- an email from the PD saying genericly positive things and reaffirming that he was there should I have any further questions

Note- no programs specifically told me I was ranked to match.

baylor- email from the PD
iowa- several people emailed me and were positive. call from the chair
mayo- several very positive emails. the most direct emails i got from anywhere
UTSW- call from the PD, very positive
vanderbilt- multiple people emailed me and asked if i had questions
wash u- letter in the mail. traded emails with the PD
WPIC- traded emails after the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll bite:

UVA: not a peep.
USC-Palmetto: I was rotating there during my interview time, so I got some feedback after my interview while I was still around for rotation. Seemed positive. Got a nice cookbook with PD's recipes in email too, lol.
MUSC: Nada, until I emailed, and they replied to that nicely, but not too nicely :/
Indiana: Multiple emails with a resident I hit it off with while there. Positive feedback.
UK: Nothing, but I interviewed very late (their last day).
VCU: Email from chair saying they'd love to have me, then another later.
Iowa: Email from PD saying they'd be a great fit. Very personalized letter. Nice.
MCW: nothing, but late interview.
Vandy: Very nice email from PD, again very personalized, saying they'd love to have me.
Wake: Another, "we'd love to have you" email, but seemed less personal and more of a form letter. Probably the same thing psychphan got. We should compare notes, lol.
WVU: Nothing, but a very late interview.
ECU: A couple of emails via ERAS from PD hinting at a pre-match opportunity. Declined respectfully, but was still interested enough to rank. Nice people.
Carilion (Roanoke, Va): Nothing from PD. I declined their pre-match too...but they know the situation. Have spoken with the assistant PD (who was my attending on a rotation there) who has been very helpful in numerous ways. I actually think this is a highly underrated program in many ways, but my wife doesn't like Roanoke very much, lol.

So that's it. Numerous residents have told me that they didn't hear anything either, so not to be surprised if you don't. I think we put too much stock in this post-interview feedback stuff. We'll see in 9 days!!!

Good luck everyone!!!

a little sick to my stomach...

Just to add some balance to the cloying PD worshiping going on, I had the opposite experience at many of the programs mentioned above. Peeps from APDs at places where APDs communicated above, but APDs contacting me from places listed as peeps above. Don't use this as a measuring stick. I even had PDs tell me they would be happy were I to match at their program, and not hear from them thereafter. Let's just see what happens next Friday. It's so hard to tell.

UCLA-Semel: Sent me flowers at school. Repeated phone calls. Finally, PD started showing up at my house, holding a boombox playing "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel.

UCSF: Letter stating that I could come in as chair of the department instead of going through the residency.

UW: Phone call with chair. Promised that I would be the only applicant they would rank. "Those other people are s**t", direct quote from chair.

UCSD: Letter from chair offering one "free murder" a year, no questions asked. Also, ten pounds of the lunch meat of my choice.

Emory: Told me that if I ranked them, they would bring back Freaknik.

Duke: Showed a strange prediliction for telegraphs (both singing and regular), culminating in a visit from a rather tired man and horse from something called the "Pony Express"

UPMC: Offered to construct giant retractable dome over the city of Pittsburgh to block out the snow. Should dome construction prove unfeasible from an engineering standpoint due to our current knowledge of carbon nanotubules, will instead relocate program to Papeete, Tahiti.

Penn: Minimal post-interview correspondence, but did unveil a life size bronze statue of me in hospital lobby during my interview day, so I have to think my chances are at least ok.

Hopkins: Call from PD telling me that if I went there they would let me wear shorts during rounds. On Mondays, shorts must feature Hopkins logo.

Cornell: The PD and chair sent me warm, but impersonal, letters written on ultrafine sheets of 24K gold

NYU: No post-interview contact.

Columbia: Letter offering to rename hospital to New Ypsl Presbyterian Hospital, pending negotiations with the State of New York.

MGH: Given the high cost of rentals in Boston, offered to let me live rent-free in the Pavilion at McLean (http://www.mclean.harvard.edu/patient/adult/pav.php).

Last edited:
UCSD: Letter from chair offering one "free murder" a year, no questions asked. Also, ten pounds of the lunch meat of my choice.

I thought this one was particularly inspired.

UPMC: Offered to construct giant retractable dome over the city of Pittsburgh to block out the snow. Should dome construction provide unfeasible from an engineering standpoint due to our current knowledge of carbon microtubules, will instead relocate program to Papeete, Tahiti.

Grrrr..... I *knew* I should have applied at Pitt. +pissed+

UCLA-Semel: Sent me flowers at school. Repeated phone calls. Finally, PD started showing up at my house, holding a boombox playing "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel.

UCSF: Letter stating that I could come in as chair of the department instead of going through the residency.

UW: Phone call with chair. Promised that I would be the only applicant they would rank. "Those other people are s**t", direct quote from chair.

Duke: Showed a strange prediliction for telegraphs (both singing and regular), culminating in a visit from a rather tired man and horse from something called the "Pony Express"

UPMC: Offered to construct giant retractable dome over the city of Pittsburgh to block out the snow. Should dome construction provide unfeasible from an engineering standpoint due to our current knowledge of carbon microtubules, will instead relocate program to Papeete, Tahiti.

Penn: Minimal post-interview correspondence, but did unveil a life size bronze statue of me in hospital lobby during my interview day, so I have to think my chances are at least ok.

Hopkins: Call from PD telling me that if I went there they would let me wear shorts during rounds. On Mondays, shorts must feature Hopkins logo.

Cornell: The PD and chair sent me warm, but impersonal, letters written on ultrafine sheets of 24K gold

Columbia: Letter offering to rename hospital to New Ypsl Presbyterian Hospital, pending negotiations with the State of New York.

MGH: Given the high cost of rentals in Boston, offered to let me live rent-free in the Pavilion at McLean (http://www.mclean.harvard.edu/patient/adult/pav.php).

You have just made my day!!!

UPMC: Offered to construct giant retractable dome over the city of Pittsburgh to block out the snow. Should dome construction prove unfeasible from an engineering standpoint due to our current knowledge of carbon nanotubules, will instead relocate program to Papeete, Tahiti.

Probably best post in the history of the forum.

Turkey pastrami. Hands down.

(That's if we're talking what you can get at the local grocery store. If an actual delicatessen, then corned beef.)

Agreed! Love love love! Turkey pastrami when i can find it

OMG Belly Laugh!!! I hope you match wherever I match!

I hope I match where you match, too! Oh, and my lunch meat of choice is roast beef (turkey pastrami? Really???)