Post-Match/Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhioSurgery

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a 3rd year student who is going to be trying to match into GS. I was told by my advisor to apply to community hospital programs because of my scores, and that I will get a spot somewhere, but then she transferred to another hospital and I have lost touch with her.

Where did some of you interview that applied to community programs? Thoughts on specific programs?

Did any of you have a step 1 of 210 or lower?

Any advice you have for someone like me to increase my chances of getting in somewhere where I will not hate my life?

Members don't see this ad.

I matched with slightly below 210 for Step 1. I went up 30 points for Step 2, after taking it in July. I got 28 interviews, half community, went on 21, only 5 community. I matched at #10, which was my first-ranked community program. I was below several programs' posted minimum scores (usually 210 posted). We'll see whether I hate my life or not in a few months. Right now you should be focusing on your rotations (do as well as possible), then getting amazing LORs (I had one that about half of my interviewers commented on), then rocking Step 2 (you'll still be filtered out of many, if not most programs, but it helps for those that don't - that was also commented on by about 1/4 of my interviewers). Anyway, I had enough else going for me that the Step 1 looked like a fluke, and one of my home program interviewers said "Yeah, you can't do that sort of thing again."

So yeah. It's possible if you're a pleasant human being who can show improvement. Apply broadly, smartly, get ready to spend a lot of money.

I matched with slightly below 210 for Step 1. I went up 30 points for Step 2, after taking it in July. I got 28 interviews, half community, went on 21, only 5 community. I matched at #10, which was my first-ranked community program. I was below several programs' posted minimum scores (usually 210 posted). We'll see whether I hate my life or not in a few months. Right now you should be focusing on your rotations (do as well as possible), then getting amazing LORs (I had one that about half of my interviewers commented on), then rocking Step 2 (you'll still be filtered out of many, if not most programs, but it helps for those that don't - that was also commented on by about 1/4 of my interviewers). Anyway, I had enough else going for me that the Step 1 looked like a fluke, and one of my home program interviewers said "Yeah, you can't do that sort of thing again."

So yeah. It's possible if you're a pleasant human being who can show improvement. Apply broadly, smartly, get ready to spend a lot of money.

Relatively similar. Slightly below 210 on step 1, improved 26 points for step 2. Applied very broadly (42 programs), invited for 14, interviewed and ranked 12 (14 if you count two prelim rankings at the bottom), and matched about halfway through my list (and it would have been higher b/c it seemed like a good fit, but my husband didn't like the city). I was in the 3rd quartile of my class, so step 1 fit with that. I'm not very basic science-y.

Agree with above poster's last statement - interview well, improve on step 2 (take it early!), and apply and interview everywhere you can. The match is tough, but I think most people could match initially if they applied a bit broader in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Main point of my advice is to apply broad. I did 63 applications and got 28 invites plus 3 prelims. Went on 15 interviews and ranked all except 1. Got my top pick. The interview is key. Be yourself and u will end up where u should be.

if you match into a community program and want to go to academics, there's always the possibility of a transfer. lots of academic programs in general surgery have a some attrition during the lab years (residents transferring to anesthesia, radiology, ER, etc., or quitting all together and having babies). i know of two who transferred into our program and ended up being awesome chiefs who went on to do high power academic fellowships. you usually have to be a pgy3 prelim for a year while they check you out, but it almost always worked out...except for that one guy who was terrible. :)

if you match into a community program and want to go to academics, there's always the possibility of a transfer. lots of academic programs in general surgery have a some attrition during the lab years (residents transferring to anesthesia, radiology, ER, etc., or quitting all together and having babies). i know of two who transferred into our program and ended up being awesome chiefs who went on to do high power academic fellowships. you usually have to be a pgy3 prelim for a year while they check you out, but it almost always worked out...except for that one guy who was terrible. :)

I'd be careful. The advice I've always heard was it's better not to transfer unless you have a compelling personal reason. Leaving one program for a "better" one raises red flags when you're applying for fellowship. It could mean that you didn't get along with members from your old program or that you have no integrity/sense of loyalty. Maybe it has worked for some, but it's not necessarily going to be helpful.

I'd be careful. The advice I've always heard was it's better not to transfer unless you have a compelling personal reason. Leaving one program for a "better" one raises red flags when you're applying for fellowship. It could mean that you didn't get along with members from your old program or that you have no integrity/sense of loyalty. Maybe it has worked for some, but it's not necessarily going to be helpful.

that sounds like some paranoid program director trying to scare residents into not transferring. besides, you don't have to say that you're transferring because it's a "better" program. there are lots of personal reasons like location, family, research opportunities, etc. and what fellowship program director is going to raise an eyebrow if you do well at the program you transferred into and have a lot of support from the faculty at the new program?

all i'm saying is that if you match into a community program and you're not happy there because you want something more academic, there's nothing wrong with wanting something that is a better match for your personality and career goals. it has nothing to do with loyalty and, to be honest, you don't owe them anything. the relationship should be mutually beneficial (service for education). besides, since when is there loyalty in academic medicine? it's the most petty, cut throat work environment i've witnessed...and i've had lots of jobs in lots of different industries.

that sounds like some paranoid program director trying to scare residents into not transferring. besides, you don't have to say that you're transferring because it's a "better" program. there are lots of personal reasons like location, family, research opportunities, etc. and what fellowship program director is going to raise an eyebrow if you do well at the program you transferred into and have a lot of support from the faculty at the new program?

all i'm saying is that if you match into a community program and you're not happy there because you want something more academic, there's nothing wrong with wanting something that is a better match for your personality and career goals. it has nothing to do with loyalty and, to be honest, you don't owe them anything. the relationship should be mutually beneficial (service for education). besides, since when is there loyalty in academic medicine? it's the most petty, cut throat work environment i've witnessed...and i've had lots of jobs in lots of different industries.

Kirurg is right, though. Transferring is generally a bad idea. You very rarely "trade up," but simply trade one set of problems for another. I would only transfer if you're miserable or won't receive adequate training.

The program you are leaving will probably not be very happy, either, so if they're connected at all, that can burn bridges for you.

Most places that have PGY-3 spots available have them open for a reason....

It's tough to transfer without burning bridges. A good reason would be family-related - your spouse is transferring jobs, or a family member is seriously ill. Otherwise, lots of feelings are going to be hurt (especially if you were seriously thinking about transferring from day one).