Post May 15th hold rules if you get accepted post May 15th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cirrus83

Too old for this
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I know you're only supposed to hold one acceptance post may 15th, but what about when you get an acceptance after may 15th?

In that case does it vary by school or what? Like say, you get one acceptance before May 15th and you send your deposit to hold your spot. But then in June you finally get an acceptance elsewhere. How long would you have to decide between the two schools? What if you're still on a waitlist on a third, would you be able to hold the first 2 schools or only hold one of them or what?

Members don't see this ad.

Now I know you're only supposed to hold one acceptance post may 15th, but what about when you get an acceptance after may 15th?

In that case does it vary by school or what? Like say, you get one acceptance before May 15th and you send your deposit to hold your spot. But then in June you finally get an acceptance elsewhere. How long would you have to decide between the two schools? What if you're still on a waitlist on a third, would you be able to hold the first 2 schools or only hold one of them or what?

2 weeks i heard you have to decide

Others on here have said that while you lose your deposit after may 15th, the deadline to drop all but 1 acceptance is JUNE 15th...no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Others on here have said that while you lose your deposit after may 15th, the deadline to drop all but 1 acceptance is JUNE 15th...no?

If it was June 15th why would all the waitlist movement occur after may 15th.. cause that's when people are giving up spots..

According to the AMCAS website: http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/applicants.htm

"By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application, by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods, from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received."

You have a little time from when you receive an offer until when you need to send in a deposit and signed acceptance of their offer. If you get such an offer post-May 15th, simply make your decision before sending in your acceptance or non-acceptance of the new offer. If you choose the new offer, then send in your deposit letter to them, and simulataneously notify the old school that you are withdrawing. Except in some unusual circumstances, there are generally no good reasons for dragging it out. You should already be thinking in advance about which school you would go to, should you get additional offers. Typically this would be off of waitlists after May 15th, so it's not like it will be an out of the blue surprise.

Plan ahead, decide what you will do if offers come from particular schools within particular time frames. Adjust your plan as time passes and your situation evolves. But have a plan nonetheless.

If it was June 15th why would all the waitlist movement occur after may 15th.. cause that's when people are giving up spots..

According to the AMCAS website: http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/applicants.htm

"By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application, by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods, from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received."

All the waitlist movement is after may 15 because most people want to save a few hundred bucks they paid in deposits. The link you provided DOES say exactly what you quoted, but you failed to quote the paragraph at the very top of the list on that page:

"The following recommendations are promulgated by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) to ensure that applicants are afforded timely notification of the outcome of their medical school applications and timely access to available first-year positions and that schools are protected from having unfilled positions in their entering classes. These recommendations are being distributed for the information of prospective medical students, their advisors, and personnel at the medical schools to which they have applied. The AAMC recommends that:"

All the waitlist movement is after may 15 because most people want to save a few hundred bucks they paid in deposits. The link you provided DOES say exactly what you quoted, but you failed to quote the paragraph at the very top of the list on that page:

"The following recommendations are promulgated by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) to ensure that applicants are afforded timely notification of the outcome of their medical school applications and timely access to available first-year positions and that schools are protected from having unfilled positions in their entering classes. These recommendations are being distributed for the information of prospective medical students, their advisors, and personnel at the medical schools to which they have applied. The AAMC recommends that:"

<----------Just learned a new word. :clap:

Glad they didn't ask me that at my interview.

FALSE. Any applicant (especially those holding multiple acceptances - ah, step back Kfire) must disregard Fkire's post above. I don't know if he's trying to clear space for himself or what, but that is blatant misinformation.

Most of my acceptances came with a notice of AMCAS rules which state one can only hold one acceptance after May 15. Students are allowed to hold their spots on multiple waitlists after May 15 and then have a short amount of time to decide which acceptance they would like to keep if there is movement off of a waitlist (and it seems thy might lost the deposit at the first school). Schools can and have rescinded acceptances from students holding more than one acceptance after May 15.

The only debate on the date is a notification somwhat had received over on the Baylor thread from an unspecified school which stated that if a school's curriculum begins before August 1st, the student must notify that school before August 15th. Baylor, however, starts in July, and all literature received stated a May 15 deadline due date for deposits, etc.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=389348&highlight=june

FALSE. Any applicant (especially those holding multiple acceptances - ah, step back Kfire) must disregard Fkire's post above. I don't know if he's trying to clear space for himself or what, but that is blatant misinformation.

Most of my acceptances came with a notice of AMCAS rules which state one can only hold one acceptance after May 15. Students are allowed to hold their spots on multiple waitlists after May 15 and then have a short amount of time to decide which acceptance they would like to keep if there is movement off of a waitlist (and it seems thy might lost the deposit at the first school). Schools can and have rescinded acceptances from students holding more than one acceptance after May 15.

The only debate on the date is a notification somwhat had received over on the Baylor thread from an unspecified school which stated that if a school's curriculum begins before August 1st, the student must notify that school before August 15th. Baylor, however, starts in July, and all literature received stated a May 15 deadline due date for deposits, etc.

Please remember that my original post presented the 'june 15th' issue as a question. I also said others have said this. I found the forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=389348&highlight=june

See post #5 by diosa428.

I assure you, I'm not trying to clear space for myself. I am holding only 1 acceptance and only 1 waitlist, and am no longer interested in the schools I haven't heard from. My 7 in verbal ain't gettin me that far... :)

Please remember that my original post presented the 'june 15th' issue as a question. I also said others have said this. I found the forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=389348&highlight=june

See post #5 by diosa428.

I assure you, I'm not trying to clear space for myself. I am holding only 1 acceptance and only 1 waitlist, and am no longer interested in the schools I haven't heard from. My 7 in verbal ain't gettin me that far... :)
Sorry for the previous curtness. Yeah, diosa is just wrong. All notifications I've received say May 15. And I wouldn't bank my medical school career on the words of one SDN poster, but will be trusting information I receive frm the AAMC and my schools.

Sorry for the previous curtness. Yeah, diosa is just wrong. All notifications I've received say May 15. And I wouldn't bank my medical school career on the words of one SDN poster, but will be trusting information I receive frm the AAMC and my schools.

My acceptance and my girlfriends acceptances didn't come with any notice of a deadline to withdraw from all other schools. The only thing I've read is that the deposit is not refundable after May 15. But yea, I'd err on the side of caution, if anything.

My acceptance and my girlfriends acceptances didn't come with any notice of a deadline to withdraw from all other schools. The only thing I've read is that the deposit is not refundable after May 15. But yea, I'd err on the side of caution, if anything.

Not all of mine did, but some did come with a copy of the AAMC rules (and from what I recall they weren't mere suggestions or guidelines).

You have a little time from when you receive an offer until when you need to send in a deposit and signed acceptance of their offer. If you get such an offer post-May 15th, simply make your decision before sending in your acceptance or non-acceptance of the new offer. If you choose the new offer, then send in your deposit letter to them, and simulataneously notify the old school that you are withdrawing. Except in some unusual circumstances, there are generally no good reasons for dragging it out. You should already be thinking in advance about which school you would go to, should you get additional offers. Typically this would be off of waitlists after May 15th, so it's not like it will be an out of the blue surprise.

Plan ahead, decide what you will do if offers come from particular schools within particular time frames. Adjust your plan as time passes and your situation evolves. But have a plan nonetheless.

Ah, so I do have to start seriously figuring out what I'd do if accepted at more than one school, since it sounds like I won't have much time to figure it out after getting acceptances. Just wanted to know since I didn't really want to count my chickens in the basket without having any chickens yet, but it seems like I'll have to rank the chickens even though they haven't hatched (this might have been a horrible analogy).

Ah, so I do have to start seriously figuring out what I'd do if accepted at more than one school, since it sounds like I won't have much time to figure it out after getting acceptances. Just wanted to know since I didn't really want to count my chickens in the basket without having any chickens yet, but it seems like I'll have to rank the chickens even though they haven't hatched (this might have been a horrible analogy).

You should have enough info to make a decision now. If you got accepted to all of those schools, where would you go? You don't need to wait for the acceptance to figure this out.

You should have enough info to make a decision now. If you got accepted to all of those schools, where would you go? You don't need to wait for the acceptance to figure this out.

Financial aid will make or break a waitlist decision for me. Unfortunately, that isn't available information until after you're accepted, and I doubt the turnaround time on saying yes to a waitlist acceptance is sufficient to see a financial aid award...ugh. So no, not all the info to make a decision is out there now.

I got off a waitlist last year and was given 9 days by that school to make up my mind to accept them & drop my other acceptance or not.

See post #5 by diosa428.

Hmmm...Finding another person misinformed person doesn't prove your point.

I have never heard of a June 15th deadline. May 15th is when AMCAS no longer protects you and schools can do whatever they want to force you to pick between your acceptances. They can require contracts, huge deposits, or can even threaten to rescind an offer of acceptance if you don't choose by x time.

May 15th is the deadline and anyone who wants to test that and wait until June 15th will have a lot of problems.

Well, I think the key phrase here "start seriously figuring out". You don't have to have your mind completely made up, or have a plan set in stone. But I think it would be a good idea to start playing out likely scenarios in your head (or even write them down to help you organize). We still have time, but the further we get past May 15, the more pressing the time constraints and more immediate the decision needs to be. you would be doing yourself a favor by working through preferences and thinking about potential factors that could influence your decision well in advance.

To give you an example: I currently have an acceptance, but am also on a waitist at another school. Because of the logistics involved with moving my family (i'm a non-trad) and my wife needing to find a job, my decision as to which school I would pick would be effected by just how late into the spring or summer I get off of the waitlist. Certainly at some point, we will already need to have made commitments about moving. And my psychological and emotional preparedness will become stronger in expectation for starting at one particular school as time goes on. So yeh, I have some dates in mind at which point my decision would be heavily weighted towards one or the other. There is a lot to consider after all. But even still, nothing is set in concrete.