Post-Naplex: What % of your questions were you confident answering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlbusChutney

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Naplex Saturday. I'm hoping that my results will somehow go up on Tuesday, but I'm fully expecting Wednesday or Thursday realistically.

Man, that test was HARD! I thought I was prepared, but it felt like the entire test was a curve ball to be honest. Lots of ID/HIV/Oncology/Immunizations on mine. Very few questions from the bigger chapters, and a ton of questions on natural medications. Many questions I tried to look up afterwards in the RXPrep book, and couldn't even find. I still think that RXPrep is definitely the best resource to study, nonetheless.

I honestly feel like I only can say that I confidently answered around 45% correctly with 35% being somewhat educated guesses, and 20% being completely clueless on. How did you all feel after your exam? Super nervous that I screwed up big time ):

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I took mine on Saturday. I was confident with like 30%, had educated guesses on 50%, and was completely clueless on 20%. I had a ton of HIV/Onc/Psych. I felt terrible walking out of that... I think I failed :(

That's pretty much exactly how I feel too. I do know that I did get a lot of the math correct, but also thought it was harder than I expected, especially with having to use the calculator on the screen. It sounds like we had really similar tests. It was brutal, and the repeat questions on concepts that I didn't know were rough.

I took mine Monday and I felt like 50% of questions were above minimum competency! For example-asking me to diagnose things?? I know I good amount of those questions were questions your everyday pharmacist couldn't answer. I left feeling only confident about maybe 30-50 questions, the easy questions came in "spirts"-perhaps because its adaptive. I had a lot of math and it's hard to be confident went you'really entering in the answers. I only had one BP question that didn't make sense and made me question if it was an old question not up to date with JNC 8..

Members don't see this ad :)
I took mine on last Thursday and found out I passed on Monday around noon. It was an absolute MISERY to wait for the score to come out. Especially on the weekends! I walked out of the testing room feeling like I completely bombed it. My legs were shaking thinking that I failed and have to wait for another 90 days to take that ridiculous test. I honestly felt like I knew 30 % of the questions for sure and this adaptive feature kept messing with my head. Every time I see easy MOA or indication questions, I felt devastated thinking I'm missing every single questions. (Which wasn't true, obviously...) Oh, and I had HIV/ONC/HEP and it seems to be a trend of NAPLEX these days, adding in specialty meds.

After seeing my score, I learned that post-naplex anxiety and feeling-like-i-failed are normal feelings for all the test takers.
I am pretty sure you guys all passed! :)

Sharing my experience here remembering about how miserable I was this past weekend!
Good luck everyone!

Sending my luck out there!

I also have 29 days left on my RXprep quiz bank subscription. PM me if you are interested!

I took the Naplex Saturday. I'm hoping that my results will somehow go up on Tuesday, but I'm fully expecting Wednesday or Thursday realistically.

Man, that test was HARD! I thought I was prepared, but it felt like the entire test was a curve ball to be honest. Lots of ID/HIV/Oncology/Immunizations on mine. Very few questions from the bigger chapters, and a ton of questions on natural medications. Many questions I tried to look up afterwards in the RXPrep book, and couldn't even find. I still think that RXPrep is definitely the best resource to study, nonetheless.

I honestly feel like I only can say that I confidently answered around 45% correctly with 35% being somewhat educated guesses, and 20% being completely clueless on. How did you all feel after your exam? Super nervous that I screwed up big time ):

I think you did just fine. If you were clueless on 20% of the questions, that's 37 questions. Don't forget that only 150 questions count. The other 35 are pre-test/experimental and do not count. Assuming that you were awake through pharmacy school and put your best foot forward through 4th year rotations, those 37 questions you were clueless on were higher level questions that were likely pre-test/experimental. Let's say ALL 20% were experimental. Then, that leaves you with 45% answered correctly which equals to 83 questions and let's say, of the 35%; i.e., ~65 questions, you answered half of them correctly. That's ~32 questions. So really, you are looking at 83 + 32 = 115 questions correct. 115/150 = 76.7% approximately. That's way more than enough to pass the NAPLEX. You probably got a score in the 120s. That's my best guess.

Let us know! lol

I took mine on Saturday. I was confident with like 30%, had educated guesses on 50%, and was completely clueless on 20%. I had a ton of HIV/Onc/Psych. I felt terrible walking out of that... I think I failed :(

I just got my results - I passed!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I just took mine today; Overall, a mix; I'd say I was confident in maybe 30-40% of the answers, partially confident in ~30%, and guessing on the rest. It always sucks when you find out which ones you got wrong afterwards.

Just left my exam and I'm already thinking of when I'm going to have to retake it. I left the exam feeling like I only confidently knew 20% of the questions. It was a miserable experience. This exam is unbelievable and there's no way I passed.

Just left my exam and I'm already thinking of when I'm going to have to retake it. I left the exam feeling like I only confidently knew 20% of the questions. It was a miserable experience. This exam is unbelievable and there's no way I passed.

Most people pass. You'll see. If you were getting hard questions and did not have an excess of math questions, you did just fine. If you had ~20 math questions, you'll break 100.

Most people pass. You'll see. If you were getting hard questions and did not have an excess of math questions, you did just fine. If you had ~20 math questions, you'll break 100.

This is good news.... The math for me mostly came 1 at a time, interrupted by other questions (save for a few bio stats questions towards the end, which I realized afterwards that I had answered incorrectly); on the other hand, i'm not sure if this is supposed to be this way, but for the questions involving patient cases, I would get a bunch of questions on the same patient case, though not necessarily concerning the same subject matter.

This is good news.... The math for me mostly came 1 at a time, interrupted by other questions (save for a few bio stats questions towards the end, which I realized afterwards that I had answered incorrectly); on the other hand, i'm not sure if this is supposed to be this way, but for the questions involving patient cases, I would get a bunch of questions on the same patient case, though not necessarily concerning the same subject matter.

@hye345

I would say you passed and that is of course, under the assumption that you were confident in all your math answers. That would explain why you got them all at once. It's not hard to figure out when you've answered a question incorrectly on the NAPLEX. It always comes back a few questions later.

The format you described is pretty much the format most people experience. You get patient profile that is complex enough to lend itself to questions that cover several topics. It is not a bad sign when that happens. Imagine having to read 185 profiles. That would be very draining.

A good friend of mine had well over 30 math questions and got a 98. Scores do not matter. My point here is that she was freaking out but at the end of the day, she did just fine. You will, too. Statistically, the majority of people do.

Really?? I hardly got math questions which bumbed me out. I only got about 20 and like 5 that were biostat calcs

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Same for me. Math questions were very scattered and I got about 25. I counted them as I went along. Hoping to find out whether I passed or not in a few days.

@hye345

I would say you passed and that is of course, under the assumption that you were confident in all your math answers. That would explain why you got them all at once. It's not hard to figure out when you've answered a question incorrectly on the NAPLEX. It always comes back a few questions later.

The format you described is pretty much the format most people experience. You get patient profile that is complex enough to lend itself to questions that cover several topics. It is not a bad sign when that happens. Imagine having to read 185 profiles. That would be very draining.

A good friend of mine had well over 30 math questions and got a 98. Scores do not matter. My point here is that she was freaking out but at the end of the day, she did just fine. You will, too. Statistically, the majority of people do.

I was confident in the math ones, though most of them either asked just for CrCl, Corrected Calcium, or calculating drip rates/dosages based on drip rates. I did realize at the halfway point that the calculator I was using had a setting for changing the number of decimal places calculated vs. just rounding, and that freaked me out a bit, since I had taken it for a different key, and had pressed it once or twice. I don't think it affected things too much, since I remember getting decimal answers earlier, but still.

I was confident in the math ones, though most of them either asked just for CrCl, Corrected Calcium, or calculating drip rates/dosages based on drip rates. I did realize at the halfway point that the calculator I was using had a setting for changing the number of decimal places calculated vs. just rounding, and that freaked me out a bit, since I had taken it for a different key, and had pressed it once or twice. I don't think it affected things too much, since I remember getting decimal answers earlier, but still.
Same here. I know I got majority of my math correct. Maybe 2 wrong at most.

Same here. I know I got majority of my math correct. Maybe 2 wrong at most.
I took my exam today and had a similar experience as those stated above, except I ended up with a long string of pharmaceutics questions near the end, and I know of 2 types of math problems I got wrong twice (they weren't hard, I just blanked and didn't know how much time I could spend on them). Truly feeling unsure of the majority of my answers. I passed my mpje a few wks ago and felt the same way as I left that exam. Hoping for another miracle! Good luck everyone, and thank you for sharing your experiences.

I got roughly 20-25 math questions which about 7 of them were biostats. I felt that more of my more of the math questions came toward the second half.

Did anyone get a slurry of multiple-choice math questions towards the end, or was this just me?

I took my exam today and had a similar experience as those stated above, except I ended up with a long string of pharmaceutics questions near the end, and I know of 2 types of math problems I got wrong twice (they weren't hard, I just blanked and didn't know how much time I could spend on them). Truly feeling unsure of the majority of my answers. I passed my mpje a few wks ago and felt the same way as I left that exam. Hoping for another miracle! Good luck everyone, and thank you for sharing your experiences.
thanks for sharing your experience and all the best for your results!!! I will be taking the exam next month. I am so nervous. may i ask you what type of questions did you get in pharmaceutics? and in biostats was it NNT ARR type or interpretation of data?
I am now revising HIV/ID/CHEMO on regular basis. any other suggestions. I will definitely appreciate any guidance.
thanks!

Just an update-Finally found out I passed with a 119!! I was seriously worried I failed.

thanks for sharing your experience and all the best for your results!!! I will be taking the exam next month. I am so nervous. may i ask you what type of questions did you get in pharmaceutics? and in biostats was it NNT ARR type or interpretation of data?
I am now revising HIV/ID/CHEMO on regular basis. any other suggestions. I will definitely appreciate any guidance.
thanks!

I can't say specifics about pharmaceutics - if you have the APHA book, read the pceutics chapter. For biostats: yes- nnt, arr and interpreting data. The 120 calculation questions on Sdn were far more difficult than any math I had on the exam. (I'm just worried b/c I blanked on a few easy ones. The reappearing math is irritating! It doesn't show what I CAN do). With a month to go and what you're prepping you'll be fine. Just remember to read each question carefully.

thanks!
Best advice I can give someone is to know your immunizations. Know them really well. Besides math of course. Also, for biostats there are questions that ask you to interpret the study.

Reactions: 2 users
Took my NAPLEX on 7/11 and just found out several minutes ago that I pass. While I'm still trying to calm down from the jubilation, my exam pretty much had the same amount of content and progression as most of you that took the exam already stated. After the exam, I thought I'd failed for sure cause I have a serious case of test anxiety where my mind goes blank and makes easy test questions seem as if i'm trying to solve quantum mechanics problems with elementary physics knowledge. For everyone that are still waiting for their result don't worry too much am sure you pass. Now back to my regularly schedule program of studying for MPJE.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't say specifics about pharmaceutics - if you have the APHA book, read the pceutics chapter. For biostats: yes- nnt, arr and interpreting data. The 120 calculation questions on Sdn were far more difficult than any math I had on the exam. (I'm just worried b/c I blanked on a few easy ones. The reappearing math is irritating! It doesn't show what I CAN do). With a month to go and what you're prepping you'll be fine. Just remember to read each question carefully.
thank you !! yes i have APHA book... i will revise the chapter.

Took my NAPLEX on 7/11 and just found out several minutes ago that I pass. While I'm still trying to calm down from the jubilation, my exam pretty much had the same amount of content and progression as most of you that took the exam already stated. After the exam, I thought I'd failed for sure cause I have a serious case of test anxiety where my mind goes blank and makes easy test questions seem as if i'm trying to solve quantum mechanics problems with elementary physics knowledge. For everyone that are still waiting for their result don't worry too much am sure you pass. Now back to my regularly schedule program of studying for MPJE.
How did you find out you passed exactly.

It sounds like the general emotional roller coaster for this exam is the same. Anxiety prior to exam, which quickly morphs into complete gut flipping horror post exam and lastly relief having passed.
I share these same feelings, but still waiting on my scores.

I took the exam 7/15(yesterday). I felt like the questions were rediculously hard at points and then very simple at others. Like others I felt confident on some guessed on others.

To be a little more specific I had questions on disease states I only saw once on rotations and questions on condom counseling ( ? ). I had math that was straight forward for the most part & all crammed into the last 50 questions along with biostats. Lots of product dispensing questions and max infusion rate. I had some Crcl questions but they were not straight forward. At least I don't remember discussing lovenox dosing for post MI. I had 4 or 5 PK theory and 5 or so non sterile compounding excipient Questions.

I missed silly tee ball questions ( probably 15 .. smh) and suprised myself on my guessing skills on others.

Overall rxprep probably helped but I felt the exam was way different than our pharmacy school exams, which focused on clinical guidelines mostly.

Hope I can make it to the final stage of jubilee. Until then pass the pepto bismol.

Sorry to answer the forum question

Confident on maybe 40% guessed on 40% and the rest is just a blurry haze

I wish NABP was transparent about the "adaptive technology" grading algorithm. For example, I know I got some really "easy" ones wrong (because I didn't remember a dose or a patch placement) but I got challenging ones correct, so did I lose more or less points on those easy ones? Or does it just set up for an exam worth less points therefore decreasing the chance of passing?
Getting the pharmaceutics questions is creating a ton of anxiety for me because no one I know had these. Thank you stoichiometrist for posting you got these too! Word of advice- take your exam on a Monday or Tuesday so you don't have to wait through the weekend.

Just wondering... did any of you use the rxprep quiz bank or did their 185 question mock exam? or prenaplex? How did you guys think comparing difficulties of the prep sources to the actual naplex?

Just wondering... did any of you use the rxprep quiz bank or did their 185 question mock exam? or prenaplex? How did you guys think comparing difficulties of the prep sources to the actual naplex?

I used Rxprep exclusively with the quizzes and I took their practice exam 185 questions. I guess rxprep helped with calculations and a few basic type questions. However they don't give you full profile questions on rxprep so be sure to transition to profiles for the real exam. I thought my exam had a bunch of just random hard questions.

Honestly I feel confident on only 40% but I can't remember a large number of questions either. Im usually a good test taker but this test makes me question that ability.. I also had a good number of pk theory questions at the end so have others I have talked too

Not sure about the adaptive grading process, but 90% or more of students pass each year so let's just hope we are in that 90% :)

I wish NABP was transparent about the "adaptive technology" grading algorithm.]

I agree. I have racked my mind around this algorithm a few times.

I took my exam on a Friday. Worst decision ever. .. Waiting. .. worrying. Waiting ... horrible cycle

Sorry to be off topic again... For those of you that have just taken it, did you think the math problems were harder than the rxprep book ones? or easier?

Sorry to be off topic again... For those of you that have just taken it, did you think the math problems were harder than the rxprep book ones? or easier?

Mine were easier; mostly calculating CrCl, corrected calcium, and a few drip rates.

i felt like my questions were about the same difficulty as rx prep.

I had 2 BSA, 1 insulin conversions, 3 crcl, drip rates. aboht 3 or tpn questions asked various ways nothing like TEE or BEE or nitrogen balabce like rx prep. just calculating calories or mls needed. 2 mEq total , drip rates, infusion times,

i think they seems really hard to me bc i was just under this strange anxiety cloud and could not calm down.

still waiting for score. : /

I took the test friday, what's the turn around time to post to NABP online?

I passed with an 81. Not a great score, but I passed!!!Good luck everyone, and thank you for the support!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I took the exam today and like everyone else I only knew about ~30 percent of the test. I had a lot of HIV/oncology and some other very random topics. It was a very hard test, so nervous waiting for the result now.

I took the exam today and like everyone else I only knew about ~30 percent of the test. I had a lot of HIV/oncology and some other very random topics. It was a very hard test, so nervous waiting for the result now.

Trust me. If you thought the test was hard you probably passed. A few people who said the test was pretty straight forward did not... remember the questions are equal weight so you can miss alot and still pass even MATH..

Hang in there you too will pass. at least you dont have to wait the weekend.

Trust me. If you thought the test was hard you probably passed. A few people who said the test was pretty straight forward did not... remember the questions are equal weight so you can miss alot and still pass even MATH..

Hang in there you too will pass. at least you dont have to wait the weekend.

The questions do not have equal weight. It's not a raw score. It's a scaled score. Incorrect answers are assigned a level of competency. CountyBy5s likely passed, though.

Sorry off topic, but does anyone else took the test this week and don't mind sharing what major topics were on there? I'm taking the test early next week and is on freaking out mode already

I took the exam this today. Definitely agree that it was difficult. I am quite confident that I failed... miserably. I guessed on about 50%, knew about 20%, and the rest was a complete disaster. The on-screen calculator was inconvenient for me. The reason why I say I failed is because I did not finish the exam. For the last 10 minutes, I panicked and starting guessing the rest (and there were quite a few questions I had left). Needless to say, I'll definitely have to retake the exam - very distraught and demoralizing... :( Time to curl myself into a ball and cry.

For anyone following the thread, I ended up getting a 72,

If I have any recommendation to give, I would say to use the on-screen calculator. I really think that is where I screwed up so badly. I wasn't the best on time, but was still able to finish. I used the hand-held calculator, and didn't have time to check my answers.

I was so much more confident in the calculations section, but I received an email from my state board letting me know that I passed the therapy section of the test, and failed the calculations. I'm so confused because my entire gamble was on knowing the calculations and hoping to skim by the therapy section. The therapy section on the test seemed to be the harder part of the exam too! I believe I most likely had a lot of answers that were probably off by just decimal points based on the knowledge that I failed the calc section.

I'd study Biostatistics part in RXPREP. I was getting 80-90% on the calc quizzes, and am really going to try and get through this entire book again in the next 3 months. Good luck to everyone! If we can get through Pharm school, we can beat this test, even if it takes a couple tries.

The questions do not have equal weight. It's not a raw score. It's a scaled score. Incorrect answers are assigned a level of competency. CountyBy5s likely passed, though.

sorry I meant to put Not equal weight. hope i didnt confuse anybody. Thanks for taking care of this for me.

For anyone following the thread, I ended up getting a 72,

If I have any recommendation to give, I would say to use the on-screen calculator. I really think that is where I screwed up so badly. I wasn't the best on time, but was still able to finish. I used the hand-held calculator, and didn't have time to check my answers.

I was so much more confident in the calculations section, but I received an email from my state board letting me know that I passed the therapy section of the test, and failed the calculations. I'm so confused because my entire gamble was on knowing the calculations and hoping to skim by the therapy section. The therapy section on the test seemed to be the harder part of the exam too! I believe I most likely had a lot of answers that were probably off by just decimal points based on the knowledge that I failed the calc section.

I'd study Biostatistics part in RXPREP. I was getting 80-90% on the calc quizzes, and am really going to try and get through this entire book again in the next 3 months. Good luck to everyone! If we can get through Pharm school, we can beat this test, even if it takes a couple tries.

That sucks. Honestly, it blows. It does sound like you know exactly what went wrong, though. So you should be able to come back from this without a problem. Keep your head up high. All this says about you is that you did not pass the test and it say nothing about your ability to be a competent and knowledgeable pharmacist. Best of luck!