Post Op Visits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lefty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any residents out there doing post op follow up visits regularly? If so, what things are you typically looking for? Do you leave a note in the chart, and if so what kinds of recommendations do you make in your assessment/plan portion (if you use a SOAP format)?

I'd appreciate input from other residents, but also any attending anesthesiologists that are in private practice as well.

Thanks,

Lefty

Members don't see this ad.

As a practicing physician for the past 4 years, I can't tell you the last time I did a post-op visit. Not that I'm advocating that or anything:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any residents out there doing post op follow up visits regularly?

Yes. Anyone who's in house >24 hours.

If so, what things are you typically looking for?

Staying out of my PD's gun sights.

Do you leave a note in the chart, and if so what kinds of recommendations do you make in your assessment/plan portion (if you use a SOAP format)?

Hahaha, hell no. The whole postop visit is for the ACGME's benefit, and my indirect benefit (avoiding flak from the program), not anything actually related to patient care.

I'd appreciate input from other residents, but also any attending anesthesiologists that are in private practice as well.

Well, my postops go kinda like "Hi, howya doin', any problems, pain, nausea?" If the patient lacks the capacity to speak, I go to the nurse with "Hi, howsee doin', any problems?"

If they say no, it's "Glad to hear it, have a nice day."

If they say yes, it's "Sorry to hear that, tell the nurse or the surgeon, have a nice day."

And then I scribble my name in the margin of the preop paperwork in the chart to prove that I was there, and then I go do more important things.

We have to post-op everyone that stays >24 hrs, and in the military they have people whose only job is to make sure that one thing gets done. I ask: How have you been, what do you remember about surgery, is your pain under control, did you barf, anything else I can do for you? My note is 2 lines: 24 yo s/p GETA for ex-lap. Denies recall, did have significant PONV now resolved, pain adequately controlled w/ PCA.