Post transferring GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueCircle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When transferring from a community college to a four-year institution, how much emphasis or attention to adcoms give to your GPA prior to and after transferring? Is cumulative GPA significantly more important then the post transfer trend?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that taking higher-end courses (Gen/Org/Bio Chemistry, A&P, and Biology) at Community Colleges are viewed as a little less prestigious than the University counterparts, as they tend to be a bit easier. That being said, credits transferred from Community Colleges should not significantly impact your application so long as you show you're more than capable within a University setting.

Reactions: 1 user
Continued excellence is always good.

A decline if you hit the post-transfer school is always bad.

A rising trend is always good.

When transferring from a community college to a four-year institution, how much emphasis or attention to adcoms give to your GPA prior to and after transferring? Is cumulative GPA significantly more important then the post transfer trend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Continued excellence is always good.

A decline if you hit the post-transfer school is always bad.

A rising trend is always good.

You may not be able to answer this question , but it wouldn't hurt to ask...
Are there any adcoms who may place a high value to CC's with a competitive reputation and/or well-known curriculum?
For example, is it possible that UCLA Medical School adcoms may distinguish an in-state applicant's enrollment at the #1 transfer CC in California -which also happens to be allied with UCLA- and factor that into their decision making ?

Or is it a general rule of thumb to all/most adcoms that CC credit is secondary (especially in upper div. courses) to any universitys' ?

Thanks.

I have no problem with CC coursework; there are some out there that can be as rigorous as any four year school. And Adcoms do not have a problem, in general, with CC coursework being done prior to finishing at a four year school. The majority of med schools in MSAR have no ban on pre-reqs at a CC (Baylor being the one exception I can think of off hand).

LizzyM has expounded on avoiding taking the pre-reqs at a CC while you're at a four year school...it gives the appearance of avoiding the weeding courses.

That said, I have a few Adcom colleagues who look down on CC coursework. I have to arm wrestle them at Adcom meeting time to salvage decent candidates they'd otherwise wait-list.

You may not be able to answer this question , but it wouldn't hurt to ask...
Are there any adcoms who may place a high value to CC's with a competitive reputation and/or well-known curriculum?
For example, is it possible that UCLA Medical School adcoms may distinguish an in-state applicant's enrollment at the #1 transfer CC in California -which also happens to be allied with UCLA- and factor that into their decision making ?

Or is it a general rule of thumb to all/most adcoms that CC credit is secondary (especially in upper div. courses) to any universitys' ?

Thanks.

I have no problem with CC coursework; there are some out there that can be as rigorous as any four year school. And Adcoms do not have a problem, in general, with CC coursework being done prior to finishing at a four year school. The majority of med schools in MSAR have no ban on pre-reqs at a CC (Baylor being the one exception I can think of off hand).

LizzyM has expounded on avoiding taking the pre-reqs at a CC while you're at a four year school...it gives the appearance of avoiding the weeding courses.

That said, I have a few Adcom colleagues who look down on CC coursework. I have to arm wrestle them at Adcom meeting time to salvage decent candidates they'd otherwise wait-list.
I started out at a community college because I did dual enrollment in high school. My GPA is like an upside down bell shaped curve. Started out strong, transferred to university, failed miserably first year, but I am climbing back up. I did 1 year of gen chem and 1 year of bio at the CC. Doing the rest of the pre-reqs at uni. How bad is this?

I can't sugar coat it: uneven performances are worrisome. We need consistent evidence that you can handle med school.

I started out at a community college because I did dual enrollment in high school. My GPA is like an upside down bell shaped curve. Started out strong, transferred to university, failed miserably first year, but I am climbing back up. I did 1 year of gen chem and 1 year of bio at the CC. Doing the rest of the pre-reqs at uni. How bad is this?

I can't sugar coat it: uneven performances are worrisome. We need consistent evidence that you can handle med school.
I understand. I prefer you don't sugar coat anything to be honest. I'm going to be a senior and I have to take 2 more pre-requisites and a couple of other sciences like genetics and microbio. Assuming I do well in all those classes and I have a 3.6+ overall/science would it still be considered worrisome or would it be a at least somewhat successful rising trend?