Post your "Chance Me" threads here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DC206R

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I feel like this was necessary because those types of threads pop up everyday. In an attempt to de-clutter, I figured this would be beneficial for current and future applicants.

I'll start it off with my own and you can use this type of outline if you like it. oGPA/sGPA, DAT, Shadowing, EC's (Volunteering, work experience, research, clubs, awards), and schools you plan on applying to.

Any suggestions to school list, please be blunt about it. I like my hard earned money and wouldn't want to waste it on a school that I have a very slim chance at.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
cGPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.77

DAT: 19 AA/18 TS/21 PAT/ 22 RC/ none under 17

TONS of work experience as well as a lot of volunteer work in underserved communities.

60 cc credits but transferred to 4-year and did well.

100+ shadowing hours.

School list;

Indiana
AT Still Missou
AT Still AZ
Midwestern AZ
Midwestern IL
UNLV
Case western
NOVA
Lecom
Roseman
Western
Creighton
UNE

Members don't see this ad :)
You and I are kinda in the same boat:

oGPA: ~3.4 (3.385), sGPA: 3.23 (Strong trend last three years of 3.6+).
DAT: 19 AA, 20 TS, 20 RC, 20 PAT, nothing under 17, But QR is 17 which I guess hurt my AA.
Shadowing: An obscure 83 hours.
Volunteering: ~900, (100 from hospital with major patient contact, 100 from food pantry, ~700 from mentoring freshman for three years with my spare time).
Research: ~900 hours, no publication because PI left. In new lab, plan to at least present.
Work: College tutor (O Chem 1 and 2) from Junior to Senior year. Also was a TA for Bio 1, and a special non-science course my school offers.
Residency: TX

Schools:

Each TX school (App already in, so eff it)
Roseman(Local gpa is on par with their standards)
Meharry(URM)
Howard(URM)
MWU-IL
Western
Tufts
Lecom
UNLV
WVU
Pitt
Temple
Louisville
Kentucky
UNE
Both AT Stills

(A lot of schools, quite expensive)

I think with your 21 AA, you'll be good with those schools, but you may wanna add in a couple more from your possible list to have security.
Just my two cents......you should drop UK from your list. They are not OOS friendly at all. May want to consider replacing it with Creighton.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
You and I are kinda in the same boat:

oGPA: ~3.4 (3.385), sGPA: 3.23 (Strong trend last three years of 3.6+).
DAT: 19 AA, 20 TS, 20 RC, 20 PAT, nothing under 17, But QR is 17 which I guess hurt my AA.
Shadowing: An obscure 83 hours.
Volunteering: ~900, (100 from hospital with major patient contact, 100 from food pantry, ~700 from mentoring freshman for three years with my spare time).
Research: ~900 hours, no publication because PI left. In new lab, plan to at least present.
Work: College tutor (O Chem 1 and 2) from Junior to Senior year. Also was a TA for Bio 1, and a special non-science course my school offers.
Residency: TX

Schools:

Each TX school (App already in, so eff it)
Roseman(Local gpa is on par with their standards)
Meharry(URM)
Howard(URM)
MWU-IL
Western
Tufts
Lecom
UNLV
WVU
Pitt
Temple
Louisville
Kentucky
UNE
Both AT Stills

(A lot of schools, quite expensive)

I think with your 21 AA, you'll be good with those schools, but you may wanna add in a couple more from your possible list to have security.

If you're doing MWU-IL, might as well do MWU-AZ. But that's just me. Plus you're URM, so that'll help.

Let's not get into that, but I still believe it plays a small role.

Is it weird that my sGPA is 3.85, while my oGPA is 3.5 and BCP is 3.25?

Last edited:
So I feel like this was necessary because those types of threads pop up everyday. In an attempt to de-clutter, I figured this would be beneficial for current and future applicants.

I'll start it off with my own and you can use this type of outline if you like it. oGPA/sGPA, DAT, Shadowing, EC's (Volunteering, work experience, research, clubs, awards), and schools you plan on applying to.

GPA: ~3.3 oGPA, ~3.2 sGPA
DAT: 21AA, 21TS, 23RC, 22PAT, nothing under 17
Shadowing: 175 hrs
Volunteering: 200 hrs, 40 coming from dental office volunteering
Research: None
Work: College tutor (A&P, microbio, math), Sterilization assistant + some dental lab duties
Residency: WA

School list:

UW
MWU-AZ
Western
UOP
MWU-IL
UNE
UNLV
Case Western
Roseman

Possibly adding these:
NOVA ( Don't have liberal arts LOR though)
Missouri
Michigan
Pitts (a reach?)
OHSU ( reaching again?)

Any suggestions to school list, please be blunt about it. I like my hard earned money and wouldn't want to waste it on a school that I have a very slim chance at.

Wow, UW, you have a huge advantage as a WA resident, although your stats are bit low :)

GPA: ~3.23 oGPA, ~3.0 sGPA
DAT: 23AA, 22TS, 21RC, 23PAT, nothing under 20
Shadowing: 80+hrs (Ortho, Oral & Maxio, General)
Volunteering: ~80 hrs, ~ 40 from dental clinics, possibly another 100 hours if one thing does count
Work: Research Assistant & Front-Desk job (held jobs during school since sophomore year)
Residency: NC
LORs: Dentist, Chem, Biol, History

School list:

UNC
ECU
OSU
NYU
USC
VCU
Tennessee
Louisville
UK

Maybe adding:
Michigan
Creighton
UNLV
Indiana
LECOM

I just would like some feedback on what schools to include or remove please, also willing to take suggestions that are not on my list. Thanks ahead of time!

A research assistant..... But no research?

Members don't see this ad :)
cleardot.gif

Wow, UW, you have a huge advantage as a WA resident, although your stats are bit low :)

I know, I wish my GPA was higher, but school tuition doesn't pay itself so I had to make the best of my situation. I just hope I have a decent shot.

Haha i know right, I've just assisted with some post-docs doing their research, food prep, maintaining stocks, and assist with experiments when they need help, I personally don't really think it qualifies as doing "research" but that's what the position listing was when I applied for it.

Perhaps call yourself a lab tech instead? You are not really assisting researchers per say

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Should I add Temple to my list?

GPA: 3. 96 oGPA, 3.84 sGPA
DAT: 20AA, 19TS, 22RC, 21PAT (Canadian DAT)
Shadowing: 150 hrs
Volunteering: 515 Hours
Research: 200 Hours, not published yet
Work: Lab Assistant, IT Services
Residency: Canada

School list:
Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC,
Minnesota,
Columbia,
NYU,
Case Western,
Temple,
Penn,
Boston
Harvard,

Might Add:
Roseman,
Meharry

Last edited:

School list:
USC,
Minnesota,
Columbia,
NYU,
Case Western,
Temple,
Penn,
Harvard,

Might Add:
Roseman,
Meharry
An international student? Good you chose big schools like NYU

Haha i know right, I've just assisted with some post-docs doing their research, food prep, maintaining stocks, and assist with experiments when they need help, I personally don't really think it qualifies as doing "research" but that's what the position listing was when I applied for it.

The interviewers might ask questions, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to change it to a lab tech like the poster above said.

School list:
USC,
Minnesota,
Columbia,
NYU,
Case Western,
Temple,
Penn,
Boston
Harvard,

Might Add:
Roseman,
Meharry

Why are you applying to USC? They don't accept the Canadian DAT.

General advice: Don't apply to any schools that you wouldn't attend if it was your only acceptance. For example, if you don't want to pay $500k+ for dental school, don't apply to a school like USC. It looks much better to reapply with 0 acceptances than to to reapply having turned down an acceptance. Don't let desperation cloud your judgement and look into tuition prices, location, and reputation before you apply :)

Reactions: 8 users
GPA: 4.0 oGPA, 4.1 sGPA
DAT: 20AA, 19TS, 23RC, 17 PAT (Canadian DAT)
Shadowing: 400 hrs
Volunteering: 300 Hours
Research: 120 Hours, No publications
Work: TA, Support Staff for Data Entry
ECs: Coach, Campus Tour Guide, Hospital Volunteer (including pediatrics), Club Exec (2 years), Community Helper (7 years), Dance and Choreography, play the piano

School List:
Case Western
Temple
UPitt
UPenn
Harvard
BU

You don't need to be chanced, with that GPA and a 20AA, you can apply to most schools and get interviews. I do know Harvard has a higher avg DAT score though.

You don't need to be chanced, with that GPA and a 20AA, you can apply to most schools and get interviews. I do know Harvard has a higher avg DAT score though.

Many people post chance me threads to stroke their ego. Let them have their fun lol.

Reactions: 11 users
not to start a ****show like that thread became but there's a pretty glaring flaw with the way the data was presented. nowhere does it show the relative GPAs/DATs for each group. afaik, no such data exists for DS, but you can see how having that information could change everything.
I believe some school said they had a 89% admittance for students with 3.5+ sgpa and a 21+ DAT. Forgot which school.

I believe some school said they had a 89% admittance for students with 3.5+ sgpa and a 21+ DAT. Forgot which school.
I know that OHSU have an average acceptance GPA of 3.7 and a 21 DAT

And that is why I'm not applying there.

oGPA 3.42

sGPA 3.35ish (didn't recalc after last semester)

DAT : N/A, working hard at it though

Shadowing: 120 hours (Ortho/Gen/Oral Surg.)

Extracurricular/ Volunteering: 300 hours. A ton of this is related to work with my faith groups. (I'm a Sikh!)

Research: 200 hours

Work : Over 2000 hours, mostly from a printing company. Only other low-level job was i guess a gym employee. Also was a supplemental instructor, spoke at a Johns Hopkins medical conference, CPR coach, summer camp med. assistant.

LORs: Chem/Bio/ Maryland Dental Professor +ortho / NYU Alum (if I need it) / famous retired public health official

Certified EMT-B. Took Dental Assisting course, member of ASDA and another dental association.

Does it matter that my semester GPAs used to be around 3.28 because I had to pay for a portion of my education? Once that financial burden was lifted (past 2 semesters), my semester GPAs have been 3.68 and 3.675.

Live in Maryland

School list:
UCSF
NYU
VCU
Maryland
UConn.
Tufts
Western
Loma
Kentucky
U. Nevada
Howard
you should take out Howard

yeah i think howard and kentucky will probably be out.. anything else?
I'm premed, not pre-dental, and I don't even know what a good DAT score is sorry lol. I just know that the mission statement of Howard doesn't seem to fit with your profile

Third time's the charm? I hope so these application fees are no fun.

NJ resident
GPA: Gets a bit tricky here but 2.42 is my official overall GPA, had >1.5 on ~100 credits in another field. Dropped out, worked for a few years, changed major, re enrolled to a CC, and went up to state university to finish off bio degree. GPA at state school 3.85, only one non-science taken. Going for SMP in the fall.
DAT: 22AA, 21TS, 25RC, 20PAT, no section below 20
Shadowing: 200 hours (2 practices)
Volunteering: 500+ from church, another 100 from community service (food pantry, habitat from humanity)
Research: Lab assistant, no publications 300~ hours
Work: Managed a store, owned a market, and worked for a marketing company. The previous 3 were before I went back to school. Tutored while at CC.

Need help in shrinking my list down, and possibly adding a school I may have overlooked. Any help would be appreciated!

School List:
NYU
UDM
Tufts
Temple
USC
Loma Linda
Roseman
LECOM
Western
UNE
Minnesota
Pitt
Nevada
Maryland
Rutgers
Arizona
Buffalo

Not so sure:
Nova
WVA
Louisville
Michigan

I'm premed, not pre-dental, and I don't even know what a good DAT score is sorry lol. I just know that the mission statement of Howard doesn't seem to fit with your profile
I always knew ab3 was...different based on her posts in SPF but the fact that she's posting in chance me threads for a profession she isn't even pursuing really tells me all I needed to know.

GPA: 3.4 oGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 4.0 gGPA; overall large upward trend (2.75, 3.2, 3.7, 3.9)
DAT: 22AA, 20TS, 26RC, 21PAT - Canadian
Shadowing: 4000 (worked at an oral surgery practice for 6 years (summers of high school, all undergrad summers), research assistant for oral pathologist, and general dentistry)
Volunteering: ~800-1000 hrs (many mental and physical health organizations, habitat for humanity, oral pathology lab, etc.)
Research: 2 years of Master's of Science (1 publication, 2 in review, thesis)
Work: College tutor (general chemistry and biochemistry), sterilization + patient care + administrative coordinator for surgical clinic, teaching assistant, research assistant

School list: CASE, CRE, IND, MQT, MWU-IL, NYU, USN, RSDM, BUF, CONN, UDM, UL, MYD, MIN, NEB, UNE, UNC, OKL, PENN, PITT, USC, UOP, VCU, WVA, TEMP

I had very similar stats to you and I got 7 interview invites (out of 10). You will probably get asked a lot about your extracurriculars in interviews which will be a great way for you to showcase your interests and personality! Best of luck to you :)

cGPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.77

DAT: 19 AA/18 TS/21 PAT/ 22 RC/ none under 17

TONS of work experience as well as a lot of volunteer work in underserved communities.

60 cc credits but transferred to 4-year and did well.

100+ shadowing hours.

School list;

Indiana
AT Still Missou
AT Still AZ
Midwestern AZ
Midwestern IL
UNLV
Case western
NOVA
Lecom
Roseman
Western
Creighton
UNE

oGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.56

DAT: 20AA/22TS/19PAT/16RC

Many hrs of extracurricular/volunteer/ community service

100+ shadowing hrs

School list:
NOVA
BU
TUFTS
MARYLAND
RUTGERS
NYU
STONY BROOK
TOURO
BUF
TEMP

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
oGPA: 3.66

DAT: 20AA/22TS/19PAT/16RC/QR 16

100+ shadowing hrs

School list:
NOVA
BU
TUFTS
MARYLAND
RUTGERS
NYU
STONY BROOK
TOURO
BUF
TEMP

That 16RC is going to give you issues since 17 is a cutoff for many schools. I would check the sites for their RC cutoffs and possibly call them if you can't find that info.

oGPA: 3.66

DAT: 20AA/22TS/19PAT/16RC/QR 16

100+ shadowing hrs

School list:
NOVA
BU
TUFTS
MARYLAND
RUTGERS
NYU
STONY BROOK
TOURO
BUF
TEMP

Is your English as second language and born in foreign countries? If not, I highly recommend to retake DAT. It seems like you focus on Sciences when you studied DAT.

GPA: 3.4 oGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 4.0 gGPA; overall large upward trend (2.75, 3.2, 3.7, 3.9)
DAT: 22AA, 20TS, 26RC, 21PAT - Canadian
Shadowing: 4000 (worked at an oral surgery practice for 6 years (summers of high school, all undergrad summers), research assistant for oral pathologist, and general dentistry)
Volunteering: ~800-1000 hrs (many mental and physical health organizations, habitat for humanity, oral pathology lab, etc.)
Research: 2 years of Master's of Science (1 publication, 2 in review, thesis)
Work: College tutor (general chemistry and biochemistry), sterilization + patient care + administrative coordinator for surgical clinic, teaching assistant, research assistant

School list: CASE, CRE, IND, MQT, MWU-IL, NYU, USN, RSDM, BUF, CONN, UDM, UL, MYD, MIN, NEB, UNE, UNC, OKL, PENN, PITT, USC, UOP, VCU, WVA, TEMP

If anyone has any advice for the above (even for out-of-state applicants with similar stats) I would really appreciate it. Sorry to bump, just didn't want it getting lost in the thread. :)

If anyone has any advice for the above (even for out-of-state applicants with similar stats) I would really appreciate it. Sorry to bump, just didn't want it getting lost in the thread. :)

I would consider your work in oral surgery practice as work or dental related experience and not shadowing. So like you listed above, you have your duties at the OS practice as work. Just be sure to differentiate shadowing from actual work so you don't double dip. You might as well add MWU-AZ in there since you're applying to MWU-IL. Everything else IMO looks good and school list is fine with your stats.. graduate GPA is great. Apply and relax my fellow applicant.

GPA: 3.34 oGPA, 3.15 sGPA
DAT: retaking DAT in July
Volunteering: 250+
Work: research lab assistant and dental assistant
Residency: VA
Ethnicity: Asian

Planning on taking courses at my four year college as a non-degree seeking student during my gap year. I know my GPA is on the lower side but hoping to raise it during my gap year and send in an academic update!

School list:
VCU
UMD
UNE
NYU
Howard
Tufts
Boston U
Temple
WVU
Roseman
Lecom
Western
UNLV
Touro
midwestern AZ

Make sure you differentiate between the work you were paid for and the shadowing hours, like @DC206R said.

Planning on taking courses at my four year college as a non-degree seeking student during my gap year. I know my GPA is on the lower side but hoping to raise it during my gap year and send in an academic update!

School list:
VCU
UMD
UNE
NYU
Howard
Tufts
Boston U
Temple
WVU
Roseman
Lecom
Western
UNLV
Touro
midwestern AZ
Why don't you have Meharry on your list if you have Howard in there?

School list:
VCU
UMD
UNE
NYU
Howard
Tufts
Boston U
Temple
WVU
Roseman
Lecom
Western
UNLV
Touro
midwestern AZ
Take off Howard if you didn't apply yet.

Wondering if anyone has any insight on how much of a determining factor the Academic Update can play in the application cycle. Do schools heavily consider your adjusted GPA after it's been submitted or even hold off on interview decisions until after? I tried to do some searching through old threads but could not come up with anything solid.
-Does anyone who has done the academic update have any anecdotal evidence with Interviews/Acceptances after they submitted it?

Essentially is there a significant difference between these two GPAs:
3.25(Science)/ Overall 3.34/ 3.35 BCP (Currently what I would be applying with)

3.34 (Science)/Overall 3.4/ 3.41 BCP (After the Academic Update with fall courses)

Taking the DAT in a month but for hypothetical purposes assuming at 20AA/20TS