Post your "Chance Me" threads here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I'm a first time applicant to American dental schools (I'm Canadian). If anyone has experience in applying for American schools can you please give me an idea of what my chances are? Thanks.

GPA: 3.92 oGPA (3.9 w/o +/-). 3.96 sGPA. 3.75 nsGPA (3.5 w/0 +/-)
DAT: 22AA, 22TS, 22RC, 24PAT, 11 Carving (I know that's bad but I've been told that most American shools don't care about carving). For those of you that didn't know, the Canadian DAT doesn't have QR or OChem.
Shadowing: 60 hrs (Plan on doing more)
Volunteering: ~150 hrs
Research: One summer doing analytical chem research
Work: Usher, Facilities worker, Construction, Summer Research Assistant
Residency: AB

Schools I applied to:
-Boston
-Buffalo
-Case
-Maryland
-NYU
-Penn
-Pittsburgh
-Temple

I applied within a week of the AADSAS opening date.

Thanks guys! and good luck.
I have no idea about the carving score but other than that your stats are pretty good and you should def. get interviews from a few state schools. However I highly suggest you call and confirm with each of the schools that your shadowing hours are enough. Most require like 40-50 minimum but Maryland in particular requires more than that I believe (80 or something, I cant recall). Other than that your stats are great :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea about the carving score but other than that your stats are pretty good and you should def. get interviews from a few state schools. However I highly suggest you call and confirm with each of the schools that your shadowing hours are enough. Most require like 40-50 minimum but Maryland in particular requires more than that I believe (80 or something, I cant recall). Other than that your stats are great :)

Thanks for the advice! From your experience, do you think dentistry experience is interchangeable with shadowing? On the AADSAS application I noticed it said Dentistry/Shadowing experience. I do have volunteer work that is related to dentistry, which would bring my total dentistry/shadowing experience beyond 100 hours, but I just have a feeling the schools will look at shadowing independent of this dental volunteering experience.

Thanks for the advice! From your experience, do you think dentistry experience is interchangeable with shadowing? On the AADSAS application I noticed it said Dentistry/Shadowing experience. I do have volunteer work that is related to dentistry, which would bring my total dentistry/shadowing experience beyond 100 hours, but I just have a feeling the schools will look at shadowing independent of this dental volunteering experience.
By volunteering do you mean like shadowing and also helping around with room set up/sterilization and such? If so, then I would count that with shadowing hours!

Members don't see this ad :)
By volunteering do you mean like shadowing and also helping around with room set up/sterilization and such? If so, then I would count that with shadowing hours!

Ah so volunteer work done in a dental office would be considered shadowing then. My volunteer work, though dental related (doing work for a company that creates dental software), isn't done in a dental office. I'm sure some schools may consider this, though.

Ah so volunteer work done in a dental office would be considered shadowing then. My volunteer work, though dental related (doing work for a company that creates dental software), isn't done in a dental office. I'm sure some schools may consider this, though.
Hmmm I would call them and ask just to confirm. Good luck :)

GPA: 3.25 oGPA, 3.37 sGPA (I transferred from a CC with an overall and science GPA of 2.89 with 69 units completed, it's been an uphill battle)
DAT: 22AA, 22TS, 22RC (nothing lower than a 20)
Shadowing: 500 hrs (300 at general, 200 at OMFS)
Volunteering: 300 Hours (USC Hospital, homeless shelter, etc)
Research: 250 Hours, No publications
Work: Seasonal retail jobs
ECs: Iranian Student Association (executive position for 1 year); Predental club member for 2 years , K-12 science fair judge
LOR: 1 from OMFS (Teaches at USC) 1 from Research/Bio instructor; 1 from Biochem professor
Residency: California

School List:
USC
UCLA
Loma Linda
Western
UCSF
Pacific
Midwestern AZ
AT Still
UNLV
NYU
Nova
Boston

I'd like to stay in California and especially get into USC, closest to home even though it is very expensive.

GPA: 3.93 oGPA/ 3.98 sGPA (I have some CC credits and the oGPA in 4-year college is higher than the one in CC)
DAT: 25 AA, 26TS, 23 PAT, 22 RC
Shadowing: ~80 hrs in 2 offices, one general dentist and one orthodontist.
Volunteering: only ~25 hrs in classroom assistance , but I really like this place where I'm doing and intend to help them out more during Fall (I know this is nothing compared to others, but I am glad I found this opportunity)
Work: It's fairly hard for me to find work since I'm holding F-1 visa, and the process is rather complicated.

I was a medical student before I came to US, so I tried to pull that off in my PS and explained why I choose dentistry instead, hopefully it makes me stand out; got my PS reviewed by advisor and he told me that it's pretty good right now.

School: UCLA/ UCSF (really hope those two, although my chances maybe slim, idk, just thinking); Columbia; Maryland; U Pacific Authur Dugoni; Iowa; Rutger; Roseman U of Health Science; been thinking about Marquette but I don't know if I really fit into this school as a whole because of difference in religion.
I think I'm applying a bit late (late July) compared to many, so that worries me sometime.

With those numbers, I don't understand why you are bothering to ask about your chances. Go spend your time doing something else.
I really don't know why say that. Although with those stats, my chances are relatively low compared to US Applicants, some schools don't even look at international students applicants no matter how good they are.

Last edited:
GPA: 3.93 oGPA/ 3.98 sGPA (I have some CC credits and the oGPA in 4-year college is higher than the one in CC)
DAT: 25 AA, 26TS, 23 PAT, 22 RC
Shadowing: ~80 hrs in 2 offices, one general dentist and one orthodontist.
Volunteering: only ~25 hrs in classroom assistance , but I really like this place where I'm doing and intend to help them out more during Fall (I know this is nothing compared to others, but I am glad I found this opportunity)
Work: It's fairly hard for me to find work since I'm holding F-1 visa, and the process is rather complicated.

I was a medical student before I came to US, so I tried to pull that off in my PS and explained why I choose dentistry instead, hopefully it makes me stand out; got my PS reviewed by advisor and he told me that it's pretty good right now.

School: UCLA/ UCSF (really hope those two, although my chances maybe slim, idk, just thinking); Columbia; Maryland; U Pacific Authur Dugoni; Iowa; Rutger; Roseman U of Health Science; been thinking about Marquette but I don't know if I really fit into this school as a whole because of difference in religion.
I think I'm applying a bit late (late July) compared to many, so that worries me sometime.

You're fine. Be confident!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Although with those stats, my chances are relatively low compared to US Applicants
You do realize you're in the 99th percentile, right?

Reactions: 1 users
You do realize you're in the 99th percentile, right?
I do, but I heard many schools only interview a tiny amount of international, and accept even smaller since they don't get the financial support for int'l students. That's why I may become over-worry about this weird thing.

Hey guys, I'm a first time applicant to American dental schools (I'm Canadian). If anyone has experience in applying for American schools can you please give me an idea of what my chances are? Thanks.

DAT: 22AA, 22TS, 22RC, 24PAT, 11 Carving (I know that's bad but I've been told that most American shools don't care about carving). For those of you that didn't know, the Canadian DAT doesn't have QR or OChem.

Schools I applied to:
-Boston
-Buffalo
-Case
-Maryland
-NYU
-Penn
-Pittsburgh
-Temple

Why are you applying to the US? You can easily get in AB with a 3.9, or UofT, or basically any other Canadian dental.

Currently, I'm will be going into my senior year this fall. For a little background on myself, I am a biology major and a chemistry minor with a fairly high gpa and no DAT (plan to take it this late summer/fall). Shadowing I will have close to 200 hours when I apply. Community service is close to 300 right now with a lot of church volunteering/activities as well as coaching youth basketball, but no research. This past spring semester I had a very difficult and picky professor and I got accused of plagiarism/academic misconduct on a small in-class assignment, which resulted in the lowering of my grade by 1 letter and a C grade. I do admit it was a mistake and a lapse in judgement on the assignment, but the penalty seemed a bit harsh. I am absolutely devastated that it happened and at this point in my education, right before I plan on applying next cycle. I talked to the registrar and the misconduct will not be on my official transcript at all, but will go into a confidential FERPA university recording database. When I go to apply, how will I overcome something like this? When I am filling out my application I plan on explaining this situation and that it was a mistake and how I learned from it and have grown and it will never happen again. I am very worried since I haven't had any problems during my undergraduate education and hope something like this isn't a huge red flag or will prevent me from getting into dental school. I plan on taking a gap year when I graduate in May to get a break from school and work and volunteer a little bit, but I don't know if I should consider a Master's or joining the military reserve to strengthen my application at all. I have wanted to be a dentist since I was young and have worked for years for it. I am literally willing to do anything to become a dentist. I would really appreciate any advice or hear from any student that may have been in a similar situation. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, I'm will be going into my senior year this fall. For a little background on myself, I am a biology major and a chemistry minor with a fairly high gpa and no DAT (plan to take it this late summer/fall). Shadowing I will have close to 200 hours when I apply. Community service is close to 300 right now with a lot of church volunteering/activities as well as coaching youth basketball, but no research. This past spring semester I had a very difficult and picky professor and I got accused of plagiarism/academic misconduct on a small in-class assignment, which resulted in the lowering of my grade by 1 letter and a C grade. I do admit it was a mistake and a lapse in judgement on the assignment, but the penalty seemed a bit harsh. I am absolutely devastated that it happened and at this point in my education, right before I plan on applying next cycle. I talked to the registrar and the misconduct will not be on my official transcript at all, but will go into a confidential FERPA university recording database. When I go to apply, how will I overcome something like this? When I am filling out my application I plan on explaining this situation and that it was a mistake and how I learned from it and have grown and it will never happen again. I am very worried since I haven't had any problems during my undergraduate education and hope something like this isn't a huge red flag or will prevent me from getting into dental school. I plan on taking a gap year when I graduate in May to get a break from school and work and volunteer a little bit, but I don't know if I should consider a Master's or joining the military reserve to strengthen my application at all. I have wanted to be a dentist since I was young and have worked for years for it. I am literally willing to do anything to become a dentist. I would really appreciate any advice or hear from any student that may have been in a similar situation. Thanks.
FERPA issues aside, what're your stats?

No DAT yet. High gpa 3.8+
Is that your cumulative/BCP/sGPA? Do you have a breakdown of the three?

Which schools will you be applying to? What's your residence?

I would not consider doing a Masters with your current GPA. I graduated in May and am currently taking 2-years off working as a research technician. I would consider research for a year (note: most decent positions will be a 2-year minimum commitment), applying for a community-oriented project such as Americorps, or I would try pursuing a clinically-relevant position. Research may be a good way to go, considering your lack of experience with it and the fact that many schools are now heavily research-oriented and may even provide opportunities for students to pursue clinical/basic science research part-time. The amount of time you've shadowed is definitely enough for all schools, contingent on about half of those hours being with a general dentist.

Why are you applying to the US? You can easily get in AB with a 3.9, or UofT, or basically any other Canadian dental.

The UofA requires a minimum carving score, which I didn't get. I also don't want to re-write the DAT just to improve that one score. Also, if you are out of province, you have a significantly lower chance of getting accepted to a university in a different province. Most universities in Canada reserve about 10% of spots for out-of-province applicants because they are province-funded (i.e. they're not public research universities). Canadian dental schools also have less seats (some are as low as 30). So, that means there are only about 3 spots in a university that I would be competing for. In the states, there are more spots for students.

I'll still be applying to Canadian schools, though, and I'll definitely stay in Canada if I get accepted here.

Bump.

GPA: 3.25 oGPA, 3.37 sGPA (I transferred from a CC with an overall and science GPA of 2.89 with 69 units completed, it's been an uphill battle)
DAT: 22AA, 22TS, 22RC (nothing lower than a 20)
Shadowing: 500 hrs (300 at general, 200 at OMFS)
Volunteering: 300 Hours (USC Hospital, homeless shelter, etc)
Research: 250 Hours, No publications
Work: Seasonal retail jobs
ECs: Iranian Student Association (executive position for 1 year); Predental club member for 2 years , K-12 science fair judge
LOR: 1 from OMFS (Teaches at USC) 1 from Research/Bio instructor; 1 from Biochem professor

School List:
USC
UCLA
Loma Linda
Western
UCSF
Pacific
Midwestern AZ
AT Still
UNLV
NYU
Nova
Boston

I'd like to stay in California and especially get into USC, closest to home even though it is very expensive.

The UofA requires a minimum carving score, which I didn't get. I also don't want to re-write the DAT just to improve that one score. Also, if you are out of province, you have a significantly lower chance of getting accepted to a university in a different province. Most universities in Canada reserve about 10% of spots for out-of-province applicants because they are province-funded (i.e. they're not public research universities). Canadian dental schools also have less seats (some are as low as 30). So, that means there are only about 3 spots in a university that I would be competing for. In the states, there are more spots for students.

I'll still be applying to Canadian schools, though, and I'll definitely stay in Canada if I get accepted here.

Ah, didn't know about the carving. I know, I'm from UofT haha :) But still, your GPA is really good and you have a solid chance for out of province too.

Ah, didn't know about the carving. I know, I'm from UofT haha :) But still, your GPA is really good and you have a solid chance for out of province too.
Then maybe I'll see you in dental school there haha. UofT doesn't care about carving. In fact, UofA is the only one in Canada that cares about it, so I think it's becoming more unnecessary

:banana:
If you have a 23AA+ and/or 3.7+ gpa, you really need to stop stressing... Get off this site and go enjoy life.

I'm off by 1 point and .1 of a point In the other. Thus I still qualify to post on SDN :highfive:

Schools I applied to:
-Boston
-Buffalo
-Case
-Maryland
-NYU
-Penn
-Pittsburgh
-Temple

Your stats are good enough to get into any Canadian school you want (besides Alberta with that carving score.. don't worry, mine was a 9 lol..). You will not have a problem anywhere you apply tbh. You should also look into applying to Detroit Mercy as well. The school is 5 mins over the boarder from Windsor, you can live in Canada and pay in Canadian for the majority of your expenses, and they have a program that gives you certification to practice in Canada when you're finished 4th year. Not to mention, it's a fantastic school.. but I may just be biased.

P.S. your DAT is scary close to mine lmao (also Canadian).

Last edited:
I had an interview at Maryland and I only had 58 hours of shadowing. I'm assuming that it must be a myth, or I must be an outlier.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are good enough to get into any Canadian school you want (besides Alberta with that carving score.. don't worry, mine was a 9 lol..). You will not have a problem anywhere you apply tbh. You should also look into applying to Detroit Mercy as well. The school is 5 mins over the boarder from Windsor, you can live in Canada and pay in Canadian for the majority of your expenses, and they have a program that gives you certification to practice in Canada when you're finished 4th year. Not to mention, it's a fantastic school.. but I may just be biased.

I'm still going to apply to Canadian schools and I'm hoping to get in. I'm just worried that since I'm out of province there are significantly less spots I'm competing for (like less than 5 spots at both UBC or UofT each), that's why I'm applying to the States just in case. And I did not know that Detroit Mercy was so close to Windsor (lol I'm in the west). It would be much less of a headache to use Canadian dollars and cell phone services than to have to deal with all that in the states. Thanks for that advice! I'll have to consider that.

Did you by chance have any interviews in Canada? How'd you find them compared to the States? I personally think it's more stressful with the way the MMI is set up (8 minutes of talking non-stop) as opposed to a more "casual" easy going and holistic interview that American schools do.

I'm still going to apply to Canadian schools and I'm hoping to get in. I'm just worried that since I'm out of province there are significantly less spots I'm competing for (like less than 5 spots at both UBC or UofT each), that's why I'm applying to the States just in case. And I did not know that Detroit Mercy was so close to Windsor (lol I'm in the west). It would be much less of a headache to use Canadian dollars and cell phone services than to have to deal with all that in the states. Thanks for that advice! I'll have to consider that.

Did you by chance have any interviews in Canada? How'd you find them compared to the States? I personally think it's more stressful with the way the MMI is set up (8 minutes of talking non-stop) as opposed to a more "casual" easy going and holistic interview that American schools do.

How are you going to manage applying to Canada and the U.S? The timelines are completely different. The majority of acceptances for the U.S. come in December and the winter months, while most of the Canadian schools haven't even begun interviews until early spring. You also have a deadline for accepting U.S. invitations.

How are you going to manage applying to Canada and the U.S? The timelines are completely different. The majority of acceptances for the U.S. come in December and the winter months, while most of the Canadian schools haven't even begun interviews until early spring. You also have a deadline for accepting U.S. invitations.

As far as I know you pay a deposit for American schools to secure your spot. If this is the case, then I'd just pay whatever amount to secure the spot and see if enough time passes to overlap with Canadian applications. If it does and I get accepted to a Canadian school then I lose the money I deposited into the American one, get to go to Canada. If not, I still get accepted to the States and get to become a dentist. The process may be more tedious, but I'm just planning ahead.

Unfortunately, I did not receive any for both UoT and Western (I'm from Ontario). My GPA is by no means bad either, it's just not 3.9. Don't worry about the interview though, it will feel just as stressful either way. Just relax and be yourself

Yo everyone, longtime lurker here...

Physiology and Exercise, English and Chemistry Minors
GPA: 3.93 oGPA, 3.93 sGPA, 4.00 BCP
DAT: 22 AA, 22 TS (27 O-Chem), 25 RC, 20 PAT
Volunteering: ~150hours
Shadowing: 40 hrs
Research: Worked for the last year on a project with a professor of mine in exercise science
ECs: Volunteer Little League Coach, Youth Sports Camp Volunteer, Special Olympics volunteer, etc.
Work: Baseball Coaching and Tutoring
LORs: Ochem 1 professor, Dentist, Exercise science professor/research advisor, and my tutoring boss (who also is a professor).

My question is, I was wondering what schools you guys might consider adding. Right now I have:

Creighton
Iowa
Nebraska
Marquette

I don't have a ton of shadowing hours, because I switched to Pre-Dent pretty recently. That, I think, is my biggest downfall. Let me know on the schools though

Last edited:
What do you guys think my chances are to get in? I applied very broadly with the hopes of having at least one acceptance.

GPA: 3.93 oGPA 3.95 sGPA
DAT: 21AA, 23RC, 22 OC, 22 GC, 19 BIO, 17 QR, 20 PAT.
Shadowing: about 200 hours
Volunteering: 4200+ hours plus
Work: TA/ Tutor for Gen chem. Was hand selected by the dean of the college of Math and sciences. He also wrote one of my letters of recommendations.

School list:
Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (AZ)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona (MWU)
University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry (UCLA) *Reach school
University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry (UCSF)
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP)
Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine (NSU)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-IL) IL
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF) MA
University of New England College of Dental Medicine (UNE)
Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (MOSDOH)
Creighton University School of Dentistry (CRE) NE
University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine (UNLV)
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry (OHSU) OR
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (USN)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
GPA: 3.89 oGPA, 3.80 bcpGPA, 3.80 sGPA
DAT: 18 AA, 18 TS, 19 PAT (Retake in July)
Shadowing: 107 hours
Volunteering: ~400 hours
Research: none
Work: tutor, RA

What are my chances now? I feel like I messed up again
20 AA (17 QR )
21 TS
20 PAT

Last edited:
Are there any schools I should add?
You have a great shot at a lot of schools. The choice is yours, don't let your stats restrict you at this point.

Look into the percentages of OOS interview/acceptance rates as well as opportunities for research/outreach at other schools. Honestly, being a MA resident, your chances of getting into Tufts/UNE are more limited, regardless of your stats., considering their preference for NE residents. I think there's a misconception that Tufts/BU/UNE are easier to get in to. Just because their average stats. are lower doesn't mean they will accept individuals with above average numbers, especially if they are OOR applicants.

But of course, take my comments with a grain of salt!

oGPA 3.7
sGPA 3.6
AA 23, TS 24, RC 25, PAT 17, QR 19
100 shadowing hours, 100 volunteer hours, self employed 300 hours over the past few years

What are my chances for
UF Dental (Would enjoy being accepted here!)
Columbia Dental (Reach School)
Tufts Dental
Your DAT/GPA coincide with the averages of a typical Columbia entering class (http://dental.columbia.edu/page/class-and-graduation-statistics). The one caveat to your application to columbia is your lack of research experience. UF I think you have a great shot, however your residence will also have a serious impact. Tufts, once again residence will have some effect, however you exceed their averages.

Note: I'm not sure how your PAT score will effect your overall application.. some schools weight the PAT more heavily that TS, it just depends. I would recommend reaching out to the schools you've chosen as determine if it will be an issue.

Also, why not apply to more schools..? The choices you have here are very diverse in terms of academic rigor/programs. Refer to the attached forms to assist you in picking more schools, if you choose to do so.

Attachments

• 2014 Ranking of DS Based on GPA, DAT, Other SDN 5-20-15 (1) (1).xls
    57.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 2015 SDN 2013 Acceptance statistics distribution 4-30-15-2 (1).xls
    37.5 KB · Views: 65
-GPA: ~3.70 oGPA, 3.72 sGPA, 3.69 BCP GPA (All units from a California State University) with a very strong upward trend in the last 2 years
-DAT: 21 AA, 20 TS, 21 PAT, 21 QR, 22 RC, 19 BIO, 22 GC, 20 OC
-Shadowing: 550 hrs (from 3 General Dentists, 1 Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon, and 1 Orthodontist) and still ongoing
-Volunteering: 400 hrs (90 hrs coming from dental events in underserved communities, 80 hrs coming from within UCLA School of Dentistry, and 225 hrs from a children’s Saturday School which I volunteer at) and still ongoing
-Research: 7 months (180 hrs) in a microbiology lab at my university and still ongoing
-LORs: 7 very strong letters (1 letter from each letter writer category that a school could ask for, including a health profession’s committee letter)
-Club / Honor Society Memberships: Pre-Dental Society member for 2 years, Student Health Professions Associate member for 3 years and currently elected the Dental Chair of the club, Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society for the Health Sciences member for 4 months, Pre-Dental ASDA member for 1 year
-Manual Dexterity: Extensive proof of proficient manual dexterity, including playing guitar for 10+ years, taking a tooth waxing and denture setup (manual dexterity) course at UCLA, and much more.
-Work: Dental Office Receptionist / Front Desk Clerk, Car Dealership Customer Relations Manager, Hollister Sales Associate
-Residency: CA

School list:
***UCLA (Top Choice! Yes I know this is a reach school, but I am the most concerned on what are my chances to be interviewed by this school specifically.)
UCSF
USC
UOP
WesternU
Loma Linda
UNLV
Roseman
ATSU

Last edited:
-GPA: ~3.70 oGPA, 3.72 sGPA, 3.69 BCP GPA (All units from a California State University) with a very strong upward trend in the last 2 years
-Shadowing: 550 hrs (from 3 General Dentists, 1 Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon, and 1 Orthodontist) and still ongoing
-Volunteering: 400 hrs (90 hrs coming from dental events in underserved communities, 80 hrs coming from within UCLA School of Dentistry, and 225 hrs from a children’s Saturday School which I volunteer at) and still ongoing
-Research: 7 months (180 hrs) in a microbiology lab at my university and still ongoing
-LORs: 7 very strong letters (1 letter from each letter writer category that a school could ask for, including a health profession’s committee letter)
-Club / Honor Society Memberships: Pre-Dental Society member for 2 years, Student Health Professions Associate member for 3 years and currently elected the Dental Chair of the club, Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society for the Health Sciences member for 4 months, Pre-Dental ASDA member for 1 year
-Manual Dexterity: Extensive proof of proficient manual dexterity, including playing guitar for 10+ years, taking a tooth waxing and denture setup (manual dexterity) course at UCLA, and much more.
-Work: Dental Office Receptionist / Front Desk Clerk, Car Dealership Customer Relations Manager, Hollister Sales Associate

School list:
***UCLA (Top Choice! Yes I know this is a reach school, but I am the most concerned on what are my chances to be interviewed by this school specifically.)
UCSF
USC
UOP
WesternU
Loma Linda
UNLV
Roseman
ATSU
Great chances I'd say. Just don't be a weirdo during your interview and you have a good shot at LA's class of 2021. At the very least you'll get an acceptance from one of the schools on your list so just submit and relax. Let me know if you have any questions about LA specifically during the application process since I just went through all that last year.

Great chances I'd say. Just don't be a weirdo during your interview and you have a good shot at LA's class of 2021. At the very least you'll get an acceptance from one of the schools on your list so just submit and relax. Let me know if you have any questions about LA specifically during the application process since I just went through all that last year.
Thank you :) I'm sure I will!

School list:
UCSF
USC
UOP
WesternU
Loma Linda
UNLV
Roseman
ATSU

Garo, are you Armenian?

Hi guys! I just took my DAT today so I finally get to post one of these :)

GPA: ~3.8 oGPA, ~3.67 sGPA
DAT: 22AA, 20TS (22Bio, 20OC, 19Chem), 25RC, 19PAT, 22 QR
Shadowing: ~150 ish hrs (general and oral surgeon)
Volunteering: 40 hrs (didn't really do much volunteering after high school but I just got a leadership position for a student-run clinic so I'll be doing more this year)
Research: None
Work: Writing and Reading Tutor, Chemistry Dispensary Assistant
Residency: CA

School list:

UOP, UCSF, UCLA, USC, Western U

I think I did pretty decently on my DAT considering I didn't have much time to study, but I am worried about the PAT score a little because UOP seems to put a big emphasis on that and I ran out of time. I don't want to take it again haha what do you guys think? Also I don't really have super impressive ECs since I'm a transfer student and it's been pretty hectic this year trying to amp up that part of my app.

I'm pretty late to the party, but here it goes...

oGPA: 3.2 (upward trend, ~3.7 senior year)
sGPA: 3.3
DAT: 23AA, 24TS, 23QR, 21RC, 23Bio, 23GC, 27OC, 19PAT
URM (does that actually make a difference??)
Shadowing: 300+ hrs (2 general dentists, 2 perio, 1 oral surgeon, 1 residency program,)
Volunteering: 130+ hrs
Work: teaching assistant, call center, ER scribe
Research: 1 year (no publishing)
LOR: 2 science professors, current boss (lead physician of ER), general dentist, research professor, dining hall manager, committee letter (all should be pretty strong)
Clubs: founding member of sorority, senator of NSBE, choir, board member of pre-dental society, ASDA
Dexterity: 8 years of violin and crocheting (hobby)

Georgia resident

Schools:
Gerogia
Meharry
UNC
Marquette
Maryland
UPenn
Harvard
Columbia
UConn

I know I have a few "reach" schools. I'm not actually full of myself, but I thought why not give it a shot. Who knows.

Shadowing: 300+ hrs (2 general dentists, 2 perio, 1 oral surgeon, 1 residency program,)
LOR: 2 science professors, current boss (lead physician of ER), general dentist, research professor, dining hall manager, committee letter (all should be pretty strong)
Clubs: founding member of sorority, senator of NSBE, choir, board member of pre-dental society, ASDA

Georgia resident

Schools:
Gerogia
Meharry
UNC
Marquette
Maryland
UPenn
Harvard
Columbia
UConn

I know I have a few "reach" schools. I'm not actually full of myself, but I thought why not give it a shot. Who knows.
URM? Yeah it does. That's a pretty sweet DAT too btw

Hi guys! I just took my DAT today so I finally get to post one of these :)

GPA: ~3.8 oGPA, ~3.67 sGPA
DAT: 22AA, 20TS (22Bio, 20OC, 19Chem), 25RC, 19PAT, 22 QR
Shadowing: ~150 ish hrs (general and oral surgeon)
Volunteering: 40 hrs (didn't really do much volunteering after high school but I just got a leadership position for a student-run clinic so I'll be doing more this year)
Research: None
Work: Writing and Reading Tutor, Chemistry Dispensary Assistant
Residency: CA

School list:

UOP, UCSF, UCLA, USC, Western U

I think I did pretty decently on my DAT considering I didn't have much time to study, but I am worried about the PAT score a little because UOP seems to put a big emphasis on that and I ran out of time. I don't want to take it again haha what do you guys think? Also I don't really have super impressive ECs since I'm a transfer student and it's been pretty hectic this year trying to amp up that part of my app.

Your PAT score is fine, your GPA and DAT are very solid, your shadowing hours are fine, I'd say do a bit more volunteering, get to 100 hours and you should be fine for the Cali schools. Look into any research opportunities if you can, if not it won't hurt your chances but it could offer an advantage that others don't have on their application and that could mean the difference between an interview or not.

Your PAT score is fine, your GPA and DAT are very solid, your shadowing hours are fine, I'd say do a bit more volunteering, get to 100 hours and you should be fine for the Cali schools. Look into any research opportunities if you can, if not it won't hurt your chances but it could offer an advantage that others don't have on their application and that could mean the difference between an interview or not.

Thanks! I will definitely increase my volunteer hours this coming year and possibly find a research position if time allows. Is there a time period where I will be able to update this on my app though?

Georgia resident

Schools:
Gerogia
Meharry
UNC
Marquette
Maryland
UPenn
Harvard
Columbia
UConn

NE resident here.. Your shot at Harvard and UConn are more limited in my opinion, especially Harvard. Harvard wants the full package, a 3.2/3.3 won't get you there, unfortunately. UConn you could have a slim chance, but your OOS/OOR status and low GPAs will really hurt you. I'm optimistic regarding Columbia, as they favor high DATs over GPAs. UPenn I can't really speak on, however I know their average GPAs are 3.5-3.6, typically.

Apply early!