Post your "Chance Me" threads here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NE resident here.. Your shot at Harvard and UConn are more limited in my opinion, especially Harvard. Harvard wants the full package, a 3.2/3.3 won't get you there, unfortunately. UConn you could have a slim chance, but your OOS/OOR status and low GPAs will really hurt you. I'm optimistic regarding Columbia, as they favor high DATs over GPAs. UPenn I can't really speak on, however I know their average GPAs are 3.5-3.6, typically.

Apply early!
I appreciate the reply! My gpa is definitely pretty low compared to other people's, but it's on the higher end for people at my school in the same major. I'm hoping my DAT will prove that despite my gpa, I do still know things. And I agree with you that Harvard and UConn are a stretch, but I figured it'd be fun to at least give it a shot and say I tried. I submitted my application a while ago, so fingers crossed. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the reply! My gpa is definitely pretty low compared to other people's, but it's on the higher end for people at my school in the same major. I'm hoping my DAT will prove that despite my gpa, I do still know things. And I agree with you that Harvard and UConn are a stretch, but I figured it'd be fun to at least give it a shot and say I tried. I submitted my application a while ago, so fingers crossed. :)

Like you, I figured I'd give Harvard a shot. After paying the application fee through AADSAS and their secondary fee, I realized that I don't even meet their LOR requirements of 3 professors. I only got two. So that's cool.

Like you, I figured I'd give Harvard a shot. After paying the application fee through AADSAS and their secondary fee, I realized that I don't even meet their LOR requirements of 3 professors. I only got two. So that's cool.
Aw man, I'm really sorry to hear that. One of my biggest fears is misreading the requirements and being disqualified from every school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I will definitely increase my volunteer hours this coming year and possibly find a research position if time allows. Is there a time period where I will be able to update this on my app though?

I believe there is an academic update around December? I'm not 100% sure so you should check the AADSAS forums for that but I know you can update your information after you apply

Undergrad GPA: 3.0 (from UCLA)
Masters GPA: 3.67 (from USC)
DAT: 21AA, 22TS, 19RC, 20PAT, 19 QR, 22 BIO, 21 GC, 23 OC
Shadowing: 1oo+ hrs (general, pediatric, and ortho; includes shadowing two dentists at a clinic caring for underserved populations in Panama)
Volunteering: 500 hours as a dental patient treatment coordinator, oral health educator, and dental assistant at a dental clinic for 3 years and going; Spanish translator at various community health outreach programs in the LA area
Research: Dental public health research informally through work; published research article at the American Student Dental Association newsletter
Work: Working alongside with my mother for the past year and a half to jumpstart a home care business and residential care facility from the ground up
Residency: CA
Manual dexterity: calligraphy/hand-lettering, origami, dental assisting/taking and developing dental x-rays, introductory American Sign Language

Schools:
UCLA
USC
UOP
Western
Loma Linda
USCF
MWU (Arizona)
University of Washington
ASDOH

That's too bad.. with those numbers I'd say you have a good chance of an interview. Have you spoken with their admissions staff? they may still retroactively accept another letter if your prof. sends it through the mail; it's worth asking! :)

That's too bad.. with those numbers I'd say you have a good chance of an interview. Have you spoken with their admissions staff? they may still retroactively accept another letter if your prof. sends it through the mail; it's worth asking! :)
Doesn't AADSAS have an option to add another letter down the line after e-submitting?

Last edited:
Did a little big of digging, according to AADSAS you can submit additional evaluator letters if the maximum (4) has not yet been reached. Hopefully @Brocuspid has additional evaluator slots. If not, I would suggest directly contacting the school.

Source: http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/G...ADEA_AADSAS/2017-ADEA-AADSAS-Instructions.pdf

Yeah I've already got 4 on AADSAS, and a 5th from a paid position research supervisor for those random ones that require an employer letter. But still only two from professors. Not really in a position to get another one from a professor.

without +/- sGPA 3.78 GPA 3.85
with +/- sGPA 3.74 GPA 3.80
DAT: 20 AA 19 TS 19 PAT 23 RC 18 QR 17 BIO 19 OC 21 GC
108 hrs shadowing, about 60 hrs of volunteering
full ride when transferred as division 1 soccer player; captain of division 3 soccer team and captain of semi-pro soccer team
Residency: MI
Schools applied to: Michigan, UDM, UNC, Oregon, UIC, MOSDOH, USC, thinking about adding Marquette
Worked as a bartender and server for awhile, as well as or the public safety department at my university for my last semester
No research

Really hoping the 17 in BIO doesn't kill my chances because I didn't get the chance to study for that section.

gpa: 3.6 sgpa:3.5
DAT: 19AA 18TS 20OC 19GC 17BIO 20QR 21RC 20PAT
Volunteering: 300+ hours working with both college kids and underprivileged children
Shadowing: 100 hours Shadowing from general dentists and orthodontists
Research: 115 hours (Electrochemistry)
Work Experience: 1000+ (worked as a lifeguard throughout college and am currently trying to work in a dental office)

Any suggestions for schools or if my DAT score is good enough?

gpa: 3.6 sgpa:3.5
DAT: 19AA 18TS 20OC 19GC 17BIO 20QR 21RC 20PAT
Volunteering: 300+ hours working with both college kids and underprivileged children
Shadowing: 100 hours Shadowing from general dentists and orthodontists
Research: 115 hours (Electrochemistry)
Work Experience: 1000+ (worked as a lifeguard throughout college and am currently trying to work in a dental office)

Any suggestions for schools or if my DAT score is good enough?

EC's seem decent, GPA is good. that 17BIO is iffy though,

Members don't see this ad :)
**Deleted Post**

Last edited:
I know that's what I'm worried about. Do you think I would have to take the test over because of it?

Personally, I would have scheduled a retake already if I got a 19AA, but I do have a lower GPA than yours. I would retake but it is up to you.

GPA: 3.5 oGPA, 3.2 sGPA (non sci 3.9)
DAT: 20AA, 20TS, 23RC, 22PAT, nothing under 17
Shadowing: 4500+ hrs... I'm a CDA... 2 ortho, 7 pedi, 2 general
Volunteering: about 100 between Veteran's Hospital and with the blind/visually impaired
Research: None
Work: CDA for five years and at my school's gym for all four years
Residency: MA

Last edited:
3.2 ogpa
3.2 science gap
3.6 BCP (graduated with BA 4 years ago. I've taken all my BCP classes in the last 1.5 years)
DAT
AA-20
Bio-17
GChem-19
OChem-21
RC-21
QR-21
PAT-18

I have 1,000 hours experience btw shadowing, volunteering and working as a dental assistant.
Worked and volunteered with special needs population for years
Worked full/part time raising my son while taking my BCP classes the last 1.5 years,
Applying to my state school and a bunch of private schools.
Any input is appreciated!!!

So this is my third time applying because I haven't been careful before. I've been wondering if anyone could tell me if it is worth spending the money to apply at this point or if I should just move on.
My undergrad stats are relatively low (I was an engineer for two years and didn't care about grades at all):
3.05 sGPA, 3.3 oGPA
DAT: 20 PAT, 20 QR, 23RC, 16 bio, 16 gen chem, 16 orgo, 16 total science, 18 AA.

So I obviously realized that wasn't good enough and completed a Masters in Physio at U of Michigan this year.
Grad GPA: 3.87 oGPA, 3.87 sGPA
retook the DAT: 20 PAT, 20 QR, 28 RC, 19 bio, 20 gen chem, 19 orgo, 20 total science, 22 AA.

I also have 1000+ volunteer hours and started working as a dental assistant this past year. I have 300+ hours of dental shadowing.
LORS from my Masters Committee, volunteer coordinator, general dentist. Current schools on my list:

U of Michigan
U of Detroit Mercy (MI resident)
Midwestern- Illinois
Midwestern- Arizona
AT Still (ASDOH)- Arizona
Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health
Indiana University
USC
Western University of Health Sciences
Connecticut
LECOM
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
Boston U
University of New England
University of Minnesota
Creighton
UNLV
NYU
Case Western
Temple
University of Pennsylvania
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Roseman
Marquette
West Virginia University.

So this is my third time applying because I haven't been careful before. I've been wondering if anyone could tell me if it is worth spending the money to apply at this point or if I should just move on.
My undergrad stats are relatively low (I was an engineer for two years and didn't care about grades at all):
3.05 sGPA, 3.3 oGPA
DAT: 20 PAT, 20 QR, 23RC, 16 bio, 16 gen chem, 16 orgo, 16 total science, 18 AA.

So I obviously realized that wasn't good enough and completed a Masters in Physio at U of Michigan this year.
retook the DAT: 20 PAT, 20 QR, 28 RC, 19 bio, 20 gen chem, 19 orgo, 20 total science, 22 AA.

I also have 1000+ volunteer hours and started working as a dental assistant this past year. I have 300+ hours of dental shadowing.
LORS from my Masters Committee, volunteer coordinator, general dentist. Current schools on my list:

U of Michigan
Midwestern- Illinois
Midwestern- Arizona
Indiana University
USC
Connecticut
LECOM
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
Boston U
University of Minnesota
Creighton
UNLV
NYU
Case Western
Temple
Roseman
Marquette

I think with applying that broadly and that improvement in your science scores and a 28!!! In RC... You should be alright

Volunteering: about 100 between Veteran's Hospital and with the blind/visually impaired

School list:

Tufts
BU
Pitt
Penn
UConn
UoP
ULSD
OHSU

Tufts is my top choice so mainly just worried about getting in there!! Hoping my dental experience can makeup for the science GPA :(

Your CDA experience goes under paid dental related experience and does not count for shadowing. If you were just observing, then that's shadowing. They don't like it when it's counted twice. That's what AADSAS told me when I asked this a couple months ago. BTW, you have solid stats. Should be fine.

GPA: 3.64 oGPA, ~3.6 sGPA
DAT: 18AA, 17TS, 21RC, 20PAT, QR 15 (QR 16 previous)
Shadowing: 150+ hrs @ general dentist, orthodontist, and maxillofacial surgeon
Volunteering: ~20 hrs
Work: 1800+ hours as a dental assistant between 2 dentists in past 11 months
Residency: AR

School list:
MWU-AZ
Western
NOVA
UNLV
Missouri
Augusta
UK
Louisville
LSU
TX x 3
Oklahoma
Meharry
Tennessee
Missouri Kansas City
LECOM
Iowa
Howard

I took my DAT few days ago, and have everything else filed in AADSAS. Is it still considered early or am I put in the 'late-ish batch' to be completing the app mid-August?

Your CDA experience goes under paid dental related experience and does not count for shadowing. If you were just observing, then that's shadowing. They don't like it when it's counted twice. That's what AADSAS told me when I asked this a couple months ago. BTW, you have solid stats. Should be fine.

Thanks! I actually started out shadowing, then started getting paid to do sterilization and watch procedures, then received on the job training and eventually took my exam for becoming a CDA. It was all at the same office so under dental experience I checked off shadowing and paid. I spoke with them too and they said that was fine! But thanks for replying... This waiting game is the worst :whistle:

3.05 sGPA, 3.3 oGPA

U of Michigan
Midwestern- Illinois
Midwestern- Arizona
Indiana University
USC
Connecticut
LECOM
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
Boston U
University of Minnesota
Creighton
UNLV
NYU
Case Western
Temple
Roseman
Marquette
You should receive interviews at a few places for sure.. I'd add Touro to the list as well.

School list:

Tufts
BU
Pitt
Penn
UConn
UoP
ULSD
OHSU

Tufts is my top choice so mainly just worried about getting in there!! Hoping my dental experience can makeup for the science GPA :(
MA resident here.. I'd be very surprised if you didn't receive interviews at Tufts/BU.. they won't say it, but they favor their in-state apps. I also know a ton of MA residents with similar/lower stats who have received acceptances.

Your sGPA will contribute to potentially not receiving interviews at UConn and a few others on your list.

I took my DAT few days ago, and have everything else filed in AADSAS. Is it still considered early or am I put in the 'late-ish batch' to be completing the app mid-August?
From my understanding August isn't early but it isn't late either. Def. submit the app as soon as possible

MA resident here.. I'd be very surprised if you didn't receive interviews at Tufts/BU.. they won't say it, but they favor their in-state apps. I also know a ton of MA residents with similar/lower stats who have received acceptances.

Your sGPA will contribute to potentially not receiving interviews at UConn and a few others on your list.

Thanks for your reply! What other ones are you referring to? Penn?

What the heck, Im sitting down watching the Tigers with nothing better to do so here it is:

GPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.85
BCP: 4.00
DAT: 23 AA, 23 TS, 22 PA, 21 QR, 19 RC, 21 Bio, 24 Gchem, 30 Ochem
Shadowing: 150 hours
Volunteering: 260 hours, most as an anatomy lab TA (not paid), some from pet adoption center, some as Orgo tutor (volunteer)
Research: NADAAAAAAAAAAAA
Work: Caregiver at an assisted living home for the past 4+ years
Residency: MI

School list:

UofM
Detroit Mercy
Upenn
UNC
UIC
NYU
CASE
VCU
Univ. Colorado (heard its nice out there)

Never post here before. Please chance me!!!!!!!

I have 0GPA 3.3 sGPA 3.3 BCP 3.18 AA 22 TS 22 PAT 25
B.S. in Chemistry minor in biology, Master in public health
shadowing 150hours (general and oral surgeons),
patient care assistant work 2000 hours,
Volunteer in hospital, high school as a tutor 100 hours something like that
3 basic science research and one clinic research,
organized a few event in my undergraduate school and graduate school as a student association president
Medical and dental trip to Ecuador
International student stay in US 7 years
recommendation letter from chairman of dentistry department

Here is my school list.

UCLA
Columbia
Penn
Univerisry conn
UCSF
Rutgers
Michigan
Ohio state university
NYU
USC
Baylor
Boston
Temple

Should I add something else?

I have submitted all applications.

3.7 oGPA 3.7 sGPA
Just wrote the DAT today and wanted to gauge my chances
19AA 18BIO 20GC 20OC 18QR 20RC 22PAT
No research but good LOR and ECs

Kinda feeling like I should add something anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to new places

Idk dude your stats are very very solid (schools don't really care about QR much and an 18 isn't bad anyways) that I don't really think you'd need more than 10 schools. Maybe apply to 12 max.

As for what schools to add, it's hard to say. I'd take a look into whether you would actually attend a school if you got accepted there so make sure to look into how much other schools cost, what resources would be available to you there, etc.

Been afraid to post on here while lurking and seeing all the amazing applicants. I envy you guys. Now I'm ready to face the music. I had a bad start to college academically for my first three semesters and have since picking it up tremendously and really hope I drove that message home in my personal statement that I'm now a better student than my gpa says I am. I understand that my stats are low and need improving which I am doing and will be retaking the dat should I not get in anywhere. Just looking for some feedback on my chances

Applied as disadvantaged economically
First in my family to graduate college
215 hours shadowing
251 hours extracurricular/volunteering
4203 hours part time work
oGPA 3.18
sGPA 2.98
GPA avg last 51 credits: 3.80
DAT AA:19 TS:18 BIO: 17 GC: 16 OC:21 RC:20 QR: 19

•Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine
•Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
•Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
•Howard University College of Dentistry
•Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona
•New York University College of Dentistry
•Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
•Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
•The Ohio State University College of Dentistry
•Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College
•University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine
•University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
•University of Iowa College of Dentistry
•University of Maryland School of Dentistry
•University of Michigan School of Dentistry
•University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine
•University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry
•University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
•University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine

A lot of these schools are out of my league, I was unaware that the classes I retook still get added in my gpa on my application so it's lower than I thought it was going to be.

Application mailed on 7/22
Took the DAT ON 7/27

I would definitely say try to retake the DAT. I have a low undergrad GPA as well and for pretty similar reasons. Definitely don't count yourself out yet because some schools look past the numbers and see trends and things like that. That being said, if it gets really late in the cycle and you haven't heard anything, I would recommend a post-bacc or masters program. My undergrad stuff hurt me last year, but I reapplied this year with a better masters GPA and am getting interviews now, so it definitely helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Kinda feeling like I should add something anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to new places
I think it's really up to you.. I'd be very surprised if you didn't receive interviews at all 3 TX schools. There are definitely safety schools you can apply to, but it's up to your discretion and preference in location.

I would say that Harvard will be a serious reach for you. They strongly value applicants with research-oriented backgrounds so that will put you at a disadvantage. Good luck though!

sGPA: 3.46 oGPA: 3.54
DAT: 23AA, 23TS, 26PAT
Shadowing: 100+ hrs
Volunteering: 30hrs + 1 month mission trip to Bolivia
Research: 120 hrs
Ethnicity: asian
Residency: complicated... my family lives in Guam and I go to school in CA, so guess my residency is nowhere in the states?

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (AZ)
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine (CASE)
Loma Linda University School of Dentistry (LLU)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona (MWU)
New York University College of Dentistry (NYU)
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (TEMP)
University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine (UNLV)
University of Southern California Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry (USC)
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP)
Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (WESTU)

GPA: 3.45 oGPA, 3.55 sGPA
DAT: 23AA, 22TS, 18RC, 26PAT, QR 30
Shadowing: 150 hrs @ general dentist x2
Volunteering: 100 hrs
Work: 4 yrs of military,3 months of regular work
Residency: TX

School list:
Texas 3 schools
LECOM
NOVA
Midwestern-IL

Very nontraditional - from South Korea, naturalized U.S. citizen, B.S. in civil eng. in South Korea, 35 yrs old, working on B.S. in biology now. I am re-applicant, and never received a single interview invite since last year (applied 3 TX schools last year)..

GPA: 3.45 oGPA, 3.55 sGPA
DAT: 23AA, 22TS, 18RC, 26PAT, QR 30
Shadowing: 150 hrs @ general dentist x2
Volunteering: 100 hrs
Work: 4 yrs of military,3 months of regular work

School list:
Texas 3 schools
LECOM
NOVA
Midwestern-IL

Very nontraditional - from South Korea, naturalized U.S. citizen, B.S. in civil eng. in South Korea, 35 yrs old, working on B.S. in biology now. I am re-applicant, and never received a single interview invite since last year (applied 3 TX schools last year)..

You should really add more schools. Definitely have the stats to get interviews elsewhere.

You should really add more schools. Definitely have the stats to get interviews elsewhere.

Thanks! Maybe I should add 2-3 more schools. Can't afford much more than that since my son eats a lot.

3rd time applying...but pursuing a neuroscience degree this year to help improve my standings. What do you guys think?

BS Biology, Minor Business Management
oGPA
: 3.15
sGPA: 3.0
DAT: 21AA, 20TS, 21QR, 24RC, 19Bio, 21GC, 20OC, 19PAT
URM: No
Shadowing: ~1,000 hrs (2 general dentists, 1 pediatric dentist, 1 oral surgeon, 1 orthodontist)
Volunteering: 150 hrs
Work: Dental Space Advisors 1 year (working with dentists to find them real estate locations for their new practice)
Research:NO
LOR: 2 science professors, current boss (Vice President Dental Space Advisors), general dentist.
Schools:
3 TX schools
Howard
Meharry
Oklahoma
UNE
TUFTS
Boston
NYU

3rd time applying...but pursuing a neuroscience degree this year to help improve my standings. What do you guys think?

BS Biology, Minor Business Management
oGPA
: 3.15
sGPA: 3.0
DAT: 21AA, 20TS, 21QR, 24RC, 19Bio, 21GC, 20OC, 19PAT
Shadowing: ~1,000 hrs (2 general dentists, 1 pediatric dentist, 1 oral surgeon, 1 orthodontist)
Volunteering: 150 hrs
Work: Dental Space Advisors 1 year (working with dentists to find them real estate locations for their new practice)
Research:NO
LOR: 2 science professors, current boss (Vice President Dental Space Advisors), general dentist.
Schools:
3 TX schools
Howard
Meharry
Oklahoma
UNE
TUFTS
Boston
NYU

If you aren't URM, you will want to find two schools to replace Howard and Meharry with.

BS Engineering
oGPA
: 3.3
sGPA: 3.2
DAT: 22AA, 23TS, 22QR, 22RC, 20PAT
Residency: AL
Shadowing: ~100 hrs
Volunteering: 200 hrs
Work: 6+ years as an engineer, currently at a senior position level
Research: 1 Publication as a co first author
LOR: 1 commitee + 1 general dentist