Post your "Chance Me" threads here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BS Engineering
oGPA
: 3.3
sGPA: 3.2
DAT: 22AA, 23TS, 22QR, 22RC, 20PAT
Residency: AL
URM: No
Shadowing: ~100 hrs
Volunteering: 200 hrs
Work: 6+ years as an engineer, currently at a senior position level
Research: 1 Publication as a co first author
LOR: 1 commitee + 1 general dentist

My goal is to just get in anywhere.
Can you guys provide some inputs?
Thanks.

Work experience seems great! DAT scores as well. GPA is slightly low but you definitely have a chance for interviews IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

Work experience seems great! DAT scores as well. GPA is slightly low but you definitely have a chance for interviews IMO.

Do you have an idea of which schools I should apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.1 oGPA 3.1 sGPA
DAT: 20AA 19TS 20Bio 20Gchem 18Orgo 22PA 19RC 22QR
Shadowing: 200 hours with 2 general dentists and a pediatric
Volunteering: 200 volunteer hours
Work: Worked each summer except my senior year I worked a campus job(15hr/week) during the school year as well. I also worked in a research lab for a semester sophomore year(no publications)
Residency: Texas

Enrolling in 1-year masters program at the same time I apply to dental school. Good LORs and Personal statement

Plan on applying to Texas schools and UNE. I understand that my GPA is low, and that's why I'm doing the masters program. What're my chances if I apply with this undergrad GPA and the academic update that'll include my summer and fall grades from the master's program(assuming good)? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention. My freshman year GPA was a 1.85. After sophomore year my GPA has averaged a 3.6... It's been a long uphill road to say the least

Last edited:
GPA 3.4 o & s
DAT 23AA, 23TS, 21PAT
Shadowing 130 hours
Volunteering 300 hours
Residency VA
Work Office assistant 1100 hours
Schools

VCU
UNC
Kentucky
Louisville
LECOM
Columbia
Rutgers
Michigan
Pittsburgh
Temple

GPA 3.4 o & s
DAT 23AA, 23TS, 21PAT
Shadowing 130 hours
Volunteering 300 hours
Residency VA
Work Office assistant 1100 hours
Schools

VCU
UNC
Kentucky
Louisville
LECOM
Columbia
Rutgers
Michigan
Pittsburgh
Temple

U in a good position.

3rd time applying...but pursuing a neuroscience degree this year to help improve my standings. What do you guys think?

BS Biology, Minor Business Management
oGPA
: 3.15
sGPA: 3.0
DAT: 21AA, 20TS, 21QR, 24RC, 19Bio, 21GC, 20OC, 19PAT
Residency: TX
Shadowing: ~1,000 hrs (2 general dentists, 1 pediatric dentist, 1 oral surgeon, 1 orthodontist)
Volunteering: 150 hrs
Work: Dental Space Advisors 1 year (working with dentists to find them real estate locations for their new practice)
Research:NO
LOR: 2 science professors, current boss (Vice President Dental Space Advisors), general dentist.
Schools:
3 TX schools
Howard
Meharry
Oklahoma
UNE
TUFTS
Boston
NYU

U seriously shadow for 1000 hours? Isnt that over doing it a little. I think that time spent volunteering would of been more helpful to your application.

Last edited:
GPA: 3.1 oGPA 3.1 sGPA
DAT: 20AA 19TS 20Bio 20Gchem 18Orgo 22PA 19RC 22QR
Shadowing: 200 hours with 2 general dentists and a pediatric
Volunteering: 200 volunteer hours
Work: Worked each summer except my senior year I worked a campus job(15hr/week) during the school year as well. I also worked in a research lab for a semester sophomore year(no publications)
Residency: Texas

Enrolling in 1-year masters program at the same time I apply to dental school. Good LORs and Personal statement

Plan on applying to Texas schools and UNE. I understand that my GPA is low, and that's why I'm doing the masters program. What're my chances if I apply with this undergrad GPA and the academic update that'll include my summer and fall grades from the master's program(assuming good)? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention. My freshman year GPA was a 1.85. After sophomore year my GPA has averaged a 3.6... It's been a long uphill road to say the least

Your is a tough call because both the ogpa and sgpa is low. Dat is average. I think your best chance is if you apply early, like in june, and add more private school. I doubt the academic update will help you this year because it will be way too late in the cycle.

Last edited:
Your is a tough call because both the ogpa and sgpa is low. Dat is average. I think your best chance is if you apply early, like in june, and add more private school. I doubt the academic update will help you this year because it will be way too late in the cycle.
Agreed. Thanks for the opinion! I didn't apply this cycle btw

Agreed. Thanks for the opinion! I didn't apply this cycle btw

Here is what i did. I applied to a few schools that i really like knowing i dont really have a chance, so when i apply again as a reapplicant for the next cycle, they can see the improvement i made. Schools like to see improvement. You would be wasting money this way, but at least they will recognized your application when they come across it again next year.

So do you think my DAT makes up for my low GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you think my DAT makes up for my low GPA?

Your gpa is not even low. Im sure you will get multiple interviews this year. Just make sure you do good on the interview and you in.

Here is what i did. I applied to a few schools that i really like knowing i dont really have a chance, so when i apply again as a reapplicant for the next cycle, they can see the improvement i made. Schools like to see improvement. You would be wasting money this way, but at least they will recognized your application when they come across it again next year.
Okay so at this point you'd say close to zero chance at a Texas school interview?

Well... since theres nothing else to do

cGPA : 3.9x
sGPA : 3.9x

AA: 24, TS: 23
BIO: 21, CHEM: 22, OCHEM: 30, PAT:26, RC: 26, QR: 22

Dental-related shadowing : 250 hours
Volunteering : 1000+ hours

Last edited:

Hospital employee : 600 hours

Schools :
UMKC
Creighton
University of Washington
UNLV
UCSF
UCLA

You'll need at least 1000 more hours of volunteering. Might want to consider waiting until next year to apply...jesus

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users

Schools :
UMKC
Creighton
University of Washington
UNLV
UCSF
UCLA

That bio also look kinda low especially when pair with that gpa. I would consider retaking.

Reactions: 4 users

Schools :
UMKC
Creighton
University of Washington
UNLV
UCSF
UCLA

Can't tell if trolling, boasting or just plain stupid

Reactions: 1 users
GPA: 3.95, 3.93 (science)
DAT: 21 AA, 20 TS, 21 PAT, only gen chem under 20 (19)
Shadow: 58 hrs
Volunteer: A few hundred from all sorts of places, mainly Spanish interpreting in dental/medical settings, food banks, and special Olympics
Leadership: > 1000 hrs as a university ambassador, Team Lead, and Coordinator for a hospice company
Work: > 1000 hrs, worked to get through college, and currently working full time
Residency: UT

School List:
University of Utah
Creighton
UNLV
Buffalo
UT San Antonio (Long shot, but have ties to Texas)
Ohio State

Pretty State school heavy I know.. thoughts? add any?

Everyone, Please help with my Status. Feel free to PM. I am depressed.

sGPA: 3.89
oGPA: 3.90

DAT
Reading: 15
AA: 20
TS: 22
PAT: 20
Math 20

I applied to Louisville, Penn, Temp, LECOM, Kentucky, NYC, Alabama, Boston, Tuff,...

Does any know if a 15 would restrict my chances of getting interviews and accepted this cycle? I am extremely shocked and depressed.
I have good amount of shadowing and volunteer, personal statement, and strong recommendation letters.
English is my second letter.
Do you have to retake it? or just sit tight?
Thank you

I am currently going through a career change and recently decided to go into dentistry. I plan to apply next cycle and will have this next year to shadow and add more to my application. Please tell me what are my chances to get into a dental school?

GPA: 3.25 oGPA, ~3.1 sGPA
DAT: 21AA, 22TS, 25RC, 22PAT, 23BIO, 20GC, 23OC, 16QR
Shadowing: ~25 hours so far, with plans to shadow much more in the next year
Volunteering: 100's of hrs in leadership, american red cross, medical clinics, fundraisers
Research: None
Work: Medical scribe in family medicine clinic, 3 years in leadership position at undergrad university

School list:
Still creating list to date, open to suggestions.

Everyone, Please help with my Status. Feel free to PM. I am depressed.

DAT
Math 20

I applied to Louisville, Penn, Temp, LECOM, Kentucky, NYC, Alabama, Boston, Tuff,...

Does any know if a 15 would restrict my chances of getting interviews and accepted this cycle? I am extremely shocked and depressed.
I have good amount of shadowing and volunteer, personal statement, and strong recommendation letters.
English is my second letter.
Do you have to retake it? or just sit tight?
Thank you

That 15 is a real bummer. Hopefully they overlook that but RC is a pretty important section. GPA is high, don't know your EC's but I assume they are good. It is possible you'll have to retake the DAT for this cycle. Hopefully you took in a while ago since there is that 3 month wait time.

Schools :
UMKC
Creighton
University of Washington
UNLV
UCSF
UCLA
get out.

Reactions: 1 user
GPA: 3.90 for both oGPA & sGPA
DAT: 24 AA, 25 TS, 23 BIO, 26 GC, 27 OC, 26 QR, 20 RC, 25 PAT
Shadowing: 100 hours
Volunteering: ~100 hours
Research: None
Work: worked for a year full-time in a bank after graduated from college before quitting and taking prerequisite courses as post-bach student; currently working as a part-time math tutor
Residency: TX
Ethnicity: Asian

School list:
UT Houston
San Antonio, TX
Baylor, TX
Maryland
Tufts
NYU
Boston U
VCU
Pittsburgh
Tennessee
Nova

I completed & submitted my applications mid-June and so far have not received any interview invites, and I'm really freaking out here....
I know I'm low on volunteering hours and I'm a non-traditional student who switched career to try to get into dental school, but I'm working on volunteering more on a weekly basis though the hours are not going to be reflected on my submitted application.

It'd be greatly appreciated if anyone could give me some recommendations on what schools that do not emphasize as much on the volunteering hours. Thanks in advance!
you get out too.. if you don't get an interview at your TX schools then I'd consider going into medicine.

Can someone give me feedback on my post? I don't want to come off rude but I just don't understand why people post their chances for having 23+ DAT and 3.8+ GPA. It'a obvious that you know what you're doing. I pretty sure you'll be fine.

You definitely have a chance at some of those schools. Just depend on when your app was complete might be the deciding factor if you get interview or not.

You definitely have a chance at some of those schools. Just depend on when your app was complete might be the deciding factor if you get interview or not.

Can you give me a feedback too

BS Engineering
oGPA

Mailed out mid Aug

Applied: Alabama, Tennessee, Tuft, Michigan, Nova, AT Still, LECOM, UT San Antonio (mistake)

Can you give me a feedback too

BS Engineering
oGPA

Mailed out mid Aug

Applied: Alabama, Tennessee, Tuft, Michigan, Nova, AT Still, LECOM, UT San Antonio (mistake)

I think you got a good chance too. Gpa is good for an engineer student (hardest undergrad major), dat is great. Plus a career as an engineer previously is a plus in my opinion because it hands on. Even if you dont get any predec interview, im sure you will get some postdec.

I think you got a good chance too. Gpa is good for an engineer student (hardest undergrad major), dat is great. Plus a career as an engineer previously is a plus in my opinion because it hands on. Even if you dont get any predec interview, im sure you will get some postdec.

Thank you very much for the positive feedback

I want to add one or two schools into my list.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you very much for the positive feedback

I want to add one or two schools into my list.

Do you have any suggestion?

Definitely add louisville. Your stats are align with their and they are very oos friendly.

you get out too.. if you don't get an interview at your TX schools then I'd consider going into medicine.

I see that my application was submitted earlier than some students and they got interview invites but I've got none. That's why I'm freaking out; I was told that my low volunteering hours is hurting me....

I see that my application was submitted earlier than some students and they got interview invites but I've got none. That's why I'm freaking out; I was told that my low volunteering hours is hurting me....

i doubt it your low volunteering hours. close to 100 is not great, but it won't break your application. you just gotta be patience, i'm sure you will eventually get multiple interview invites.

Schools :
UMKC
Creighton
University of Washington
UNLV
UCSF
UCLA
I think you should give up

Reactions: 2 users
GPA: 3.67 sGPA: 3.65

BS in Biology, MS in Public Health

DAT: AA 22, TS 22, BIO 23, Gen Chem 21, O Chem 23, RC 20, QR 21

Shadowing: >460 hours

Volunteer: >200 hours

Research: >460 hours

Work: 1 year in Cancer Center as a clinical data analyst.

Residency: International student (F1 Visa)

School list:

NYU

BU

U Pen

Columbia U

USC

UDM

Case Western

Temple

U Pitt

UCSF

Marquette

Western U

Loma Linda

Creighton

Arizona (AZ)

Roseman

I am an international student, so I know my chances are better to go to private schools. Please let me know if I need to take off any or add any school to my list. I am not sure about my chances to go to dental school either. Much appreciated!

GPA: 3.93 oGPA 3.94 sGPA
DAT: 21AA 22TS 22Bio 20Gchem 24Orgo 16PAT 21RC 19QR
Shadowing: 85 hours with general and periodontics
Volunteering: 85volunteer hours in oral surgery
Work: in Recreational sports as a referee the past year
Residency: Florida
Achilles heel: 16 PAT
Lecom
NOVA
UF
University of buffalo
University of Iowa
University of Illinois
BU
NYU
University of Michigan
The Ohio State University
Virginia Commonwealth University

Holy almost 30k views in the thread.

GPA: 3.93 oGPA 3.94 sGPA
DAT: 21AA 22TS 22Bio 20Gchem 24Orgo 16PAT 21RC 19QR
Shadowing: 85 hours with general and periodontics
Volunteering: 85volunteer hours in oral surgery
Work: in Recreational sports as a referee the past year
Residency: Florida
Achilles heel: 16 PAT
Lecom
NOVA
UF
University of buffalo
University of Iowa
University of Illinois
BU
NYU
University of Michigan
The Ohio State University
Virginia Commonwealth University

Your stats are good but the 16 pat could be below some cut offs so I'd check with the schools

DAT
Math 20

Have you considered applying to USC?

I'm unsure of other schools, but I know USC is willing to overlook a 15 in RC. I'm assuming this exception is made only for students where English is their second language.

A good friend of mine struggled with RC and did everything she could to improve, but ultimately got a 15. Everything else on the DAT was good (20+ each category). She was initially waitlist post-interview, but got in shortly afterwards.

I think you have a shot if you apply broadly! Just be sure to check the cut-offs. Some schools have minimums that are higher. USC's cutoff is 15, I believe.

Good luck :)

Have you considered applying to USC?

I'm unsure of other schools, but I know USC is willing to overlook a 15 in RC. I'm assuming this exception is made only for students where English is their second language.

A good friend of mine struggled with RC and did everything she could to improve, but ultimately got a 15. Everything else on the DAT was good (20+ each category). She was initially waitlist post-interview, but got in shortly afterwards.

I think you have a shot if you apply broadly! Just be sure to check the cut-offs. Some schools have minimums that are higher. USC's cutoff is 15, I believe.

Good luck :)

That's if he's willing to drop $500k for an education.

That's if he's willing to drop $500k for an education.
Just looking at that number hurts haha But they've got Penn and NY schools on their list, so I don't think their main concern is cost, more so finding a school that will overlook a lower RC.

who told you this..? shame

who told you this..? shame

Well for certain schools like ASDOH and others that have a high preference for high volunteering numbers, I can see why.

Removed. Changed my mind, need to remain private :)

Last edited:
Well for certain schools like ASDOH and others that have a high preference for high volunteering numbers, I can see why.
I suppose.. but with stats like that..? plus, what if their volunteering was with something significant, like a dental missions trip? Just don't apply to ASDOH I suppose!