Post your "Chance Me" threads here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GPA: 3.73 oGPA, 3.74 sGPA
DAT: 19AA, 17TS, 23RC, 21QR, 20PAT, Bio 14 (retaking in 2 weeks)
Shadowing: 80 hrs
Volunteering: Student run dental clinic, and various food bank/random volunteering
Research: Studied spectroscopy for nanoparticle/amide interactions
Work: General and Organic chemistry lab assistant. Orgo Chem Synthesis Intern
Residency: IN

School list: (in order of interest)

Indiana
Ohio State
Michigan
Marquette
Louisville
Kentucky

I'm guessing as long as my DAT retake improves the bio section, I will have no issues. Never hurts to have a second opinion, however.

Nice GPA, yes retake and you'll be ready.

Do you have any volunteer hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Residency: Georgia

GPA

Overall GPA: 3.41
Science GPA: 3.21
BCP: 3.11
Non-science GPA: 3.68

DAT
Perceptual ability: 18
Quantitative Reasoning: 22
Reading Comprehension: 19
Biology: 23
General Chemistry: 25
Organic Chemistry: 23
Total Science: 24
Academic Average: 22

Extracurriculars
Shadowing: 105 hours
Volunteer: 150 hours
Neuroscience research: 120 hours

Residency: Georgia

GPA

Overall GPA: 3.41
Science GPA: 3.21
BCP: 3.11
Non-science GPA: 3.68

DAT
Perceptual ability: 18
Quantitative Reasoning: 22
Reading Comprehension: 19
Biology: 23
General Chemistry: 25
Total Science: 24
Academic Average: 22

Extracurriculars
Shadowing: 105 hours
Volunteer: 150 hours
Neuroscience research: 120 hours

GPA is alright, DAT is great. everything else is average? You have shots at certain schools. Now you just have to look at the guidebook and narrow down a list.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.7 oGPA, ~3.6 sGPA
DAT: 20AA, 19TS (Bio & GChem 20, Ochem 18), 23RC, 22PAT
Shadowing: 90 hrs with endo, worked/shadowed at family GP and ortho
Volunteering: Haven't calculated but most likely ~150/200
Research: Research in Australia w/ Physio PhD students (~150 hours) & I have an interview with an oral surgeon next week to discuss possible research!
Work: University tutor (Gen Chem, Gen Bio, Biochem)
LOR: Microbio/Immunology Prof, Pre-Health Advisor, & Endo
Residency: CA

Schools:
UCLA (brother currently attends), USC, Western, Loma Linda, UOP, UCSF (All 6 CA schools)
Creighton
Michigan
Pittsburgh
Boston
Tufts
NYU
Case Western
Temple
Midwestern
Marquette
Indiana

I would appreciate all the help & advice with schools to add or remove! :happy:
For LOR you know a lot schools want two science professors right?? Also loma linda needs a lor from a sprirtual advisor. Maybe add unlv

Overall: 3.31
Science: 3.17
BCP: 3.25
Highest DAT: 19 AA, 17 PAT
Great LOR, PS, extras, volunteer (400+ hours), shadowing (150+), etc.

I applied to 15 schools. Just waiting on transcripts so my application will be in early. Did my research, mostly private schools.

I have a huge upward trend. I had a 2.4 GPA my freshman year (few C's and D+'s), but from there literally got 3.5-3.8 GPA each semester (wrote about this in PS). Hopefully this will be overlooked on my application. Any feedback would be appreciated. (My science and overall not including freshman year would be a 3.6 and 3.6...)

Bump. Not sure if mine was seen.

GPA is alright, DAT is great. everything else is average? You have shots at certain schools. Now you just have to look at the guidebook and narrow down a list.

Georgia accepts 90% in state so I feel like you have a good shot there.

Bump. Not sure if mine was seen.

While the upward trend is nice, a 19AA is just a decent score and coupled with a 3.3, its tough. It's good that you applied to 15 schools. I'm sure you'll be able to grab interviews somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
For LOR you know a lot schools want two science professors right?? Also loma linda needs a lor from a sprirtual advisor. Maybe add unlv
My pre-health advisor was also my physio professor! And I have a spiritual leader covered. :) thanks for your input!

oGPA: 3.45; sGPA: 3.27; bcpGPA: 3.22; non-sciGPA: 3.88 [AADSAS Calculated]
DAT: Scheduled for Mid July.
Volunteering: ~700 hrs
Shadowing: 172 hours (general dentistry and all specialities except prosto).
Research: None.
Residence: Michigan
Bilingual [Arabic, English]
42CC credits, 74 4-yr college credits, with about 27 credits for next two semesters.

My parents are very paranoid about me not getting accepted since we're foreign and became refugees here in the US in 2011 (now a permanent resident, so I'm considered "in-state" and no longer international). I had a decent list of 15 schools, but my parents essentially made me apply to every school that they thought I had a shot in. Oh well, hope it pays off right?

Last semester wasn't so hot; got sick, missed one exam, did badly on another, and now will end up re-taking micro.

School List:

University of Michigan
University of Detroit Mercy
Case Western Reserve University
Marquette University
Midwestern University [IL]
Temple University Kornberg
Midwestern University [AZ]
A. T. Still University
Tufts University
University of Tennessee
University of Maryland
LECOM
Roseman University of Health Sciences
Western University of Health Sciences
University of Louisville
Loma Linda University
Herman Ostrow
Howard University
A. T. Still University
University of Nevada
New York University
University at Buffalo
University of Oklahoma
Meharry Medical College
Creighton University
University of New England

I've already applied & submitted first day it opened up [I've been ready to apply for awhile...had everything ready; preppy much?], just want to know my chances given my stats etc.

Wondering if I can get a few more comments/feedback. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wondering if I can get a few more comments/advice. Thanks!

My guess is you'll probably want to make sure you dominate your DAT since your GPA is probably a little low. Your EC's look good though and its good you applied broadly! Although you could probably cut a few off.

Wondering if I can get a few more comments/advice. Thanks!
Tufts doesn't accept any prereqs that were done at CC, so I don't know if that applies to you.

Hard to comment on the rest without knowing your DAT score. You should definitely be aiming for a minimum of 20AA to balance out your GPA.

Tufts doesn't accept any prereqs that were done at CC, so I don't know if that applies to you.

Hard to comment on the rest without knowing your DAT score. You should definitely be aiming for a minimum of 20AA to balance out your GPA.

I've taken all the pre-reqs that they require at my current University; I only stayed at CC for three semesters and most of the classes were very run of the mill basic classes, but thank you! Planning on doing well with the DAT with the preparations I've been doing!

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess is you'll probably want to make sure you dominate your DAT since your GPA is probably a little low. Your EC's look good though and its good you applied broadly! Although you could probably cut a few off.

I had a pretty good list at 15 schools, but my parents made me apply to a broader spectrum because we're a little paranoid about not being Americans yet and being new refugees and such; my parents would rather put up the investment now than have me re-apply. Can't really say no because I've heard my fair share of not getting accepted stories.

Thank you though, I really appreciate the feedback!

Hey everyone! So a few of my concerns are: I took physics as AP credit in high school, would that conflict with any of these schools? Secondly, I am not sure if I need to add more schools to my application, if so what would be some great recommendations, whether that is based on my academic record or just in general schools to consider. Much appreciated with all the recommendations and I'll try to hastily answer anything to make clarification!

GPA:
3.783 oGPA, 3.67 sGPA
DAT: 21AA, 22TS (Bio 20, Gchem 25, Ochem 22), 20RC, 21PAT
Shadowing: 200+ General Dentist, 16 Endo, 400+ Perio
Volunteering: 400+ Camp & Service trips
Research: Just a few research projects for classes
Work: Perio Dental Assistant (Currently)
FOR: 2 Professors (biology), 2 Dentists (general, perio)
Residency: CO

Schools:
The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine (COL)
University of Florida College of Dentistry (FLA) FL
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF)
University of Maryland School of Dentistry (MYD)
Creighton University School of Dentistry (CRE)

Hey everyone! So a few of my concerns are: I took physics as AP credit in high school, would that conflict with any of these schools? Secondly, I am not sure if I need to add more schools to my application, if so what would be some great recommendations, whether that is based on my academic record or just in general schools to consider. Much appreciated with all the recommendations and I'll try to hastily answer anything to make clarification!

GPA:
3.783 oGPA, 3.67 sGPA
FOR: 2 Professors (biology), 2 Dentists (general, perio)

Schools:
University of Florida College of Dentistry (FLA) FL
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF)
Creighton University School of Dentistry (CRE)

Honestly, your stats look pretty great. However, regarding the AP physics, I would definitely check every school's website regarding their place on AP; I know Tufts doesn't accept AP credits and physics is a pre-req for them (I just checked with my pre-reqs). Change your list accordingly, or add physics to your next to semesters prior to matriculation.

http://dental.tufts.edu/admissions/dmd-program/

Also, I would definitely look into the LOR. Some schools, like Michigan, want 2 Sci and 1 Non-sci. My health advisor recommended against two bio profs so I just got Bio/Chem + Sociology prof and two dentists that I had a really good relationship with.

I can't comment much on the school list, but that's my two cents and what I know for sure.

So I updated the schools that would allow for the physics AP credit, how does this list look? Is it too long too, too short? Any recommendations? Any issues with this list, I am all ears!

GPA:
3.783 oGPA, 3.67 sGPA
FOR: 2 Professors (biology, one is department head), 2 Dentists (general, perio)

Schools:
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona (MWU)
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine (NSU)
University of Florida College of Dentistry (FLA)
University of Michigan School of Dentistry (MICH)
University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry (NEB)
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine (RSDM)
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
The Ohio State University College of Dentistry (OSU) OH
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (USN)

Honestly, your stats look pretty great. However, regarding the AP physics, I would definitely check every school's website regarding their place on AP; I know Tufts doesn't accept AP credits and physics is a pre-req for them (I just checked with my pre-reqs). Change your list accordingly, or add physics to your next to semesters prior to matriculation.

http://dental.tufts.edu/admissions/dmd-program/

Also, I would definitely look into the LOR. Some schools, like Michigan, want 2 Sci and 1 Non-sci. My health advisor recommended against two bio profs so I just got Bio/Chem + Sociology prof and two dentists that I had a really good relationship with.

I can't comment much on the school list, but that's my two cents and what I know for sure.
Love to hear your input on my updated list!

Love to hear your input on my updated list!
I don't see anything that sticks out personally; just check individual school websites for their requirements so that you know you meet them and dont end up paying for nothing.

Best of luck, I'm in the same place as you are, already applied and now just waiting to take the DAT.

Nice GPA, yes retake and you'll be ready.

Do you have any volunteer hours?
My volunteer hours are generally sporadic, but i have around 100 due to service events and fraternity philanthropy stuff etc. my main volunteering is the student dental clinic (~40 hours)

Residency: SC

GPA

Overall GPA: 3.07
Science GPA: 3.43
BCP: 3.40
Non-science GPA: 2.87

DAT
Perceptual ability: 21
Quantitative Reasoning: 17
Reading Comprehension: 20
Biology: 20
General Chemistry: 20
Organic Chemistry: 21
Total Science: 20
Academic Average: 20

Extracurriculars
Shadowing: 192 hours
Volunteer: 153 hours

Schools:
Boston University
Lecom
Musc
Roseman
Touro
Tufts
Kentucky
Louisville
New England
Western U
Midwestern AZ

Residency: SC

GPA

Overall GPA: 3.07
Science GPA: 3.43
BCP: 3.40
Non-science GPA: 2.87

DAT
Quantitative Reasoning: 17
Reading Comprehension: 20
Biology: 20
General Chemistry: 20
Organic Chemistry: 21
Total Science: 20
Academic Average: 20

Extracurriculars
Shadowing: 192 hours
Volunteer: 153 hours

Schools:
Boston University
Lecom
Musc
Roseman
Touro
Tufts
Kentucky
Louisville
New England
Western U
Midwestern AZ
Is there a reason your cum GPA and non-science GPA is so low?

Is there a reason your cum GPA and non-science GPA is so low?

I was a finance major so most of those non-science gpa is business related classes. I didn't take those classes too seriously in undergrad, just wanted to do enough to get a degree. Went back and did a post bac taking all science classes and finish with a 3.67.

I was a finance major so most of those non-science gpa is business related classes. I didn't take those classes too seriously in undergrad, just wanted to do enough to get a degree. Went back and did a post bac taking all science classes and finish with a 3.67.
I see. That may or may not hurt you. Having a business background is good, but the low GPA may bite you.

Might want to add Midwestern IL to the mix aswell.

I see. That may or may not hurt you. Having a business background is good, but the low GPA may bite you.

Might want to add Midwestern IL to the mix aswell.

yea I know that my low gpa is a red flag, but there is not much I can do about it. have too many credits already, so it almost impossible to bring it up now.

Last edited:
yea I that low gpa is a red flag, but there is not much I can do about it. have too many credits already, so it almost impossible to bring it up now.
With your DAT score, I think you'll be fine. They might just look into it more.

oGPA 3.37, BCPM 3.25, non BCPM 3.47

DAT: AA 20, TS 19, PAT 21 (lowest 18 QR, and highest 23 RC)

Shadow: General Dentist 164 hrs, Total 300 hrs

Volunteer ~ 1,100 hours (includes healthcare/non healthcare activities)

Work: Resident Advisor 2 years, & door-to-door salesman intern (summer, worked 83 hours a week for 3 months)

*Last two years I definitely shined in academics earning 3.5 + each semester and earned 4.0 during my last semester (I graduated in May but didn't apply last year.) Took classes like Microbio, Histology, Human Anatomy, Immunology, & Biochem during those last two years. My prob is that I did average in bio 1/2, Chem, calc, stats, all during my first two years. I also completed a business minor and another minor. Also, I have lots of leadership positions.

Have research experience

I am a URM & first-gen applicant, but I'm not sure how they'll factor that in.

Residency: TX
School list: All 3 TX

Tufts

MWU - AZ

LECOM

Howard

Meharry

Already submitted, just looking for feedback of any kind

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

oGPA 3.37, BCPM 3.25, non BCPM 3.47

DAT: AA 20, TS 19, PAT 21 (lowest 18 QR, and highest 23 RC)

Shadow: General Dentist 164 hrs, Total 300 hrs

Volunteer ~ 1,100 hours (includes healthcare/non healthcare activities)

Work: Resident Advisor 2 years, & door-to-door salesman intern (summer, worked 83 hours a week for 3 months)

*Last two years I definitely shined in academics earning 3.5 + each semester and earned 4.0 during my last semester (I graduated in May but didn't apply last year.) Took classes like Microbio, Histology, Human Anatomy, Immunology, & Biochem during those last two years. My prob is that I did average in bio 1/2, Chem, calc, stats, all during my first two years. I also completed a business minor and another minor. Also, I have lots of leadership positions.

Have research experience

I am a URM & first-gen applicant, but I'm not sure how they'll factor that in.

Residency: TX
School list: All 3 TX

Tufts

MWU - AZ

LECOM

Howard

Meharry

Already submitted, just looking for feedback of any kind

I think you'll do well in Texas, and I'm sure you'll get accepted there.

Thank you. I would love to stay in TX

Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated

Just got an interview invite from Midwestern AZ

sGPA:3.25
oGPA:3.42

DAT:
AA:21
TS:21
RC:22
PAT:23
Lowest score was a 20

150 Hours shadowing
600 Hours volunteering (EMS, HS Alumni volunteering)
2200 Hours working (Construction)

NYU
Tufts
Pitt
UNLV
Nova
Lecom
Touro
Buffalo
UConn
USC
Louisville
Kentucky
UMD
Marquette
VCU
MWU

DAT:
Lowest score was a 20

150 Hours shadowing

NYU
Tufts
Pitt
UNLV
Nova
Lecom
Touro
Buffalo
UConn
USC
Louisville
Kentucky
UMD
Marquette
VCU
MWU

DAT:
Lowest score was a 20

150 Hours shadowing

NYU
Tufts
Pitt
UNLV
Nova
Lecom
Touro
Buffalo
UConn
USC
Louisville
Kentucky
UMD
Marquette
VCU
MWU
Bump because I have similar stats lol

Alright, here goes nothing. I'd like some suggestions on schools to apply to just because I'm really unsure of what schools to apply to besides my top schools and I wanna get a list of about 15 to apply to. I'm a second year, going into my third and final year.

Major: Chemistry
GPA

Overall GPA: 3.45
Science GPA: 3.4

DAT
Quantitative Reasoning: 27
Reading Comprehension: 23
Biology: 19
General Chemistry: 22
Total Science: 21
Academic Average: 23

Extracurriculars
Shadowing: ~300 hours
Volunteer: ~400 hours
Dental Assistant: ~700 hours
Research: ~200 hours, 3 pending publications in oral cancer detection

Schools:
UCSF
USC
Western
ASDOH
UNLV
UMich
UPenn?????

These are the only schools I'm 100% on applying to. I'd like to go to a school that partakes in a lot of philanthropy as well as research. What do you guys think my chances are for these schools? My last year is going to be focused on bumping my GPA to hopefully a 3.6 so we'll see how that goes. Thanks in advance!

Alright, here goes nothing. I'd like some suggestions on schools to apply to just because I'm really unsure of what schools to apply to besides my top schools and I wanna get a list of about 15 to apply to. I'm a second year, going into my third and final year.

Major: Chemistry
GPA

Overall GPA: 3.45
Science GPA: 3.4

DAT
Quantitative Reasoning: 27
Reading Comprehension: 23
Biology: 19
General Chemistry: 22
Total Science: 21
Academic Average: 23

Extracurriculars
Shadowing: ~300 hours
Volunteer: ~400 hours
Dental Assistant: ~700 hours
Research: ~200 hours, 3 pending publications in oral cancer detection

Schools:
UCSF
USC
Western
ASDOH
UNLV
UMich
UPenn?????

These are the only schools I'm 100% on applying to. I'd like to go to a school that partakes in a lot of philanthropy as well as research. What do you guys think my chances are for these schools? My last year is going to be focused on bumping my GPA to hopefully a 3.6 so we'll see how that goes. Thanks in advance!
You'll do well. Killed the QR section.

Last edited:
Any school suggestions for a poor applicant? This is my first time applying. I got into a 1 year masters program so I plan on attending but I also want to apply as a shot in the dark.
Resident: AZ
GPA: ~2.8 science maybe around the same.
DAT: 23AA, 21TS, 23RC, 21PAT, 26 QR, 21 BIO, 23 OC, 20 GC
Shadowing: ~100 hours from multiple places
Volunteering: ~200 hrs
Research: None
Work: 2 years as tutor

not sure what schools to include/remove. I tried looking at the excel docs in the scumbag steve guide for picking schools.

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (AZ)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona (MWU) AZ
Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (WESTU) CA
The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine (COL) CO
Howard University College of Dentistry (HOW) DC
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL) FL
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-IL) IL
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF) MA
University of New England College of Dental Medicine (UNE) ME
Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (MOSDOH) MO
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine (BUF) NY
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (USN) UT 12/01/2016

Last edited:
Any school suggestions for a poor applicant? This is my first time applying. I got into a 1 year masters program so I plan on attending but I also want to apply as a shot in the dark.

not sure what schools to include/remove. I tried looking at the excel docs in the scumbag steve guide for picking schools.

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL) FL
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (USN) UT 12/01/2016
What state are you a resident of?

Your DAT score is great. But your GPA is out of the range of some schools. Make sure to go to every schools website and make sure you meet their pre-reqs. Some schools also have GPA minimums so that may hinder you.

I would say apply, but stick to the lower tier schools given your GPA. They may overlook your GPA because of DAT score. What's your major? They may also take that into account.

You should add musc. They like high DAT. Last year someone with a sub 3.0 GPA got an interview.