Post your "Chance Me" threads here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any school suggestions for a poor applicant? This is my first time applying. I got into a 1 year masters program so I plan on attending but I also want to apply as a shot in the dark.
Resident: AZ
GPA: ~2.8 science maybe around the same.
DAT: 23AA, 21TS, 23RC, 21PAT, 26 QR, 21 BIO, 23 OC, 20 GC
Shadowing: ~100 hours from multiple places
Volunteering: ~200 hrs
Research: None
Work: 2 years as tutor

not sure what schools to include/remove. I tried looking at the excel docs in the scumbag steve guide for picking schools.

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (AZ)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona (MWU) AZ
Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (WESTU) CA
The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine (COL) CO
Howard University College of Dentistry (HOW) DC
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL) FL
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-IL) IL
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF) MA
University of New England College of Dental Medicine (UNE) ME
Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (MOSDOH) MO
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine (BUF) NY
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (USN) UT 12/01/2016

Remove buffalo. You are neither Canadian or from NY.

Members don't see this ad.

Any school suggestions for a poor applicant? This is my first time applying. I got into a 1 year masters program so I plan on attending but I also want to apply as a shot in the dark.

not sure what schools to include/remove. I tried looking at the excel docs in the scumbag steve guide for picking schools.

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL) FL
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (USN) UT 12/01/2016

Howard is pretty much for URMs

Remove Howard if you are not URM

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.9 overall; 3.9 sGPA (16-17 credits a semester. One B).
DAT: 20 AA/20 TS/ 25PAT/ 21QR/ 17RC/ 20OC/ 23GC/ 19Bio
Letter: Pre-Health Committee
Shadowing: 150 hours (Perio + Ortho)
Volunteering: Pretty much none. Going to work on it my last year of UG.
Research: None. Don't plan on doing any.
Residency: NJ
Hispanic (Bilingual)
Work:-2000 hrs Sales Associate
-500 hrs Gen Chem University tutor
-1 yr Dental Assistant *Currently*
-Obtained my Dental Radiography License
EC: Secretary of Pre-Dental Society
Secretary of Pencils of Promise (Work to raise money to build schools in third world countries).

Schools:
Rutgers
Temple
UPenn
Pittsburgh
NYU
Columbia
Stony Brook
Buffalo
VCU
Marquette

Suggestions on my school list please. I'm mainly concerned about my lack of community service and RC score.

Hispanic (Bilingual)
Secretary of Pencils of Promise (Work to raise money to build schools in third world countries).

Schools:
Rutgers
Temple
UPenn
Pittsburgh
NYU
Columbia
Stony Brook
Buffalo
VCU
Marquette

Suggestions on my school list please. I'm mainly concerned about my lack of community service and RC score.
Do you have any General Dentist shadowing? As far as ECs go those aren't amazing. Have you considered volunteering at a nursing home helping with activities? Or anything really it doesn't have to be health related. Your DAT is good your GPA is stellar I'd say you are lacking EC wise and general dentist shadowing if you don't have any (I'm just going on you saying you did Perio and Ortho so I'm not sure if you have or not).

Hispanic (Bilingual)

Schools:
Rutgers
Temple
UPenn
Pittsburgh
NYU
Columbia
Stony Brook
Buffalo
VCU
Marquette

Did you shadow any general dentists?

Do you have any General Dentist shadowing? As far as ECs go those aren't amazing. Have you considered volunteering at a nursing home helping with activities? Or anything really it doesn't have to be health related. Your DAT is good your GPA is stellar I'd say you are lacking EC wise and general dentist shadowing if you don't have any (I'm just going on you saying you did Perio and Ortho so I'm not sure if you have or not).
Did you shadow any general dentists?

No I haven't shadowed a general dentist, but I've been working as a general dentist assistant for over a year now so I'm really familiar with all the procedures, instruments, etc. As far as volunteering, I'm open to pretty much anything and plan on starting this summer

No I haven't shadowed a general dentist, but I've been working as a general dentist assistant for over a year now so I'm really familiar with all the procedures, instruments, etc. As far as volunteering, I'm open to pretty much anything and plan on starting this summer
Your shadowing is fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything helps. I've been told by admissions counselors that they want consistency rather than volunteering at a bunch of different places only a few hours. I'd recommend shadowing a general dentist that isn't where you work. Some schools require that hours be from a general dentist and that specialties do not count. I'd recommend contacting the schools you are applying to and see if this is a problem so that you don't waste your time. On the other hand I had a friend get in somewhere without the minimum number of hours and they allowed him to fulfill those hours by the end of May this year to keep his acceptance.

Anything helps. I've been told by admissions counselors that they want consistency rather than volunteering at a bunch of different places only a few hours. I'd recommend shadowing a general dentist that isn't where you work. Some schools require that hours be from a general dentist and that specialties do not count. I'd recommend contacting the schools you are applying to and see if this is a problem so that you don't waste your time. On the other hand I had a friend get in somewhere without the minimum number of hours and they allowed him to fulfill those hours by the end of May this year to keep his acceptance.
Okay. Great I will definitely call up the schools to verify that my shadowing hours are okay. Thanks for the advice

Okay. Great I will definitely call up the schools to verify that my shadowing hours are okay. Thanks for the advice
Better safe than sorry! Good luck it's an exciting and nerve wracking process :thumbup:

I've heard of this aswell. Specifically with UMich, they want to see you shadowing a diversity of dentists, with the majority being general - haven't formally stated it, but I went to three of their open houses and that's always what's been said. Volunteering is also important to alot of schools. She should ask about the hours she worked as an assistant, since some schools will not count that, but others will.

Your GPA and DAT are solid, but I hope schools don't see you as just an academic with nothing else attached. How's your personal statement? And LOR?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard of this aswell. Specifically with UMich, they want to see you shadowing a diversity of dentists, with the majority being general - haven't formally stated it, but I went to three of their open houses and that's always what's been said. Volunteering is also important to alot of schools. She should ask about the hours she worked as an assistant, since some schools will not count that, but others will.

Your GPA and DAT are solid, but I hope schools don't see you as just an academic with nothing else attached. How's your personal statement? And LOR?

Personal statement is a work in progress with the advice of my pre-health advisor. Hopefully it will help me stand out! And LOR is done by the Pre-Health Committee at my university although they will reference my 5 LORs from my boss and 4 professors who know me pretty well. (3 science, 1 business).

I know my ECs aren't great but I don't usually have much time since I worked 2 PTs throughout my undergrad. One good thing about the office where I work at is I get to work with 6 general dentists and a periodontist. (Its a pretty big practice.)

As I'm getting ready to submit (just waiting on FAP) I would value some comments!

GPA: 3.50 oGPA, 3.48 sGPA, 3.58 BCP (4.0 last 4 semesters)
DAT: 24 AA, 25 TS, 24 RC, 22PAT (30 OC)
Shadowing: 110 hours (spread over 3 general dentists, one of them I have 40 hours with which fulfills Tufts requirement)
Volunteering: ~60 hours, will be continuing throughout my gap year and updating schools
Research: ~800 hours
Work: Tutor for surrounding charter schools and a sales lead at a retailer
Residency: PA

Strong personal statement and strong LOR's in addition to a committee letter. Some teaching experience at local elementary schools during UG. Owned a small online business and was a member of a world-class drum and bugle corps (however, this was leading into UG).

School list:
Temple
Pitt
Penn
NYU
Columbia
BU
Tufts
UNE
Maryland
Case

Considering adding Touro as a "safer" school, but would rather save my money if possible. Was considering adding Harvard but I believe my GPA is way too low. Suggestions?

Personal statement is a work in progress with the advice of my pre-health advisor. Hopefully it will help me stand out! And LOR is done by the Pre-Health Committee at my university although they will reference my 5 LORs from my boss and 4 professors who know me pretty well. (3 science, 1 business).

I know my ECs aren't great but I don't usually have much time since I worked 2 PTs throughout my undergrad. One good thing about the office where I work at is I get to work with 6 general dentists and a periodontist. (Its a pretty big practice.)
I'm wishing you the best. Really tho, your academic stats are solid. Just let your passion show during your personal statement!

Please chance me!
cGPA: 3.02 sGPA: 2.6, DAT : 16
2 years of Microbiology research experience! with two publications in press, and presented at 6 conferences. (one 2nd place prize)
250 hours of volunteering in hospital
also I am an EMT that is currently volunteering with a fire department.

Residence? School list? Shadowing?

As I'm getting ready to submit (just waiting on FAP) I would value some comments!

Shadowing: 110 hours (spread over 3 general dentists, one of them I have 40 hours with which fulfills Tufts requirement)
Volunteering: ~70 hours, will be continuing throughout my gap year and updating schools

Strong personal statement and strong LOR's in addition to a committee letter. Some teaching experience at local elementary schools during UG. Owned a small online business and was a member of a world-class drum and bugle corps (however, this was leading into UG).

School list:
Temple
Pitt
Penn
NYU
Columbia
BU
Tufts
UNE
Maryland
Case

Considering adding Touro as a "safer" school, but would rather save my money if possible. Was considering adding Harvard but I believe my GPA is way too low. Suggestions?
Yours academic and DAT stats are solid. So are your EC.

Add higher ranking schools to your list. Your DAT score is awesome, so don't rule out Harvard if you got the chance to.

Please chance me!
cGPA: 3.02 sGPA: 2.6, DAT : 16
2 years of Microbiology research experience! with two publications in press, and presented at 6 conferences. (one 2nd place prize)
250 hours of volunteering in hospital
also I am an EMT that is currently volunteering with a fire department.

You are going to need to retake the DAT and do a SMP or something. Sgpa and dat are way below average.

Volunteering: ~60 hours, will be continuing throughout my gap year and updating schools

School list:
Temple
Pitt
Penn
NYU
Columbia
BU
Tufts
UNE
Maryland
Case

Absolutely throw Harvard in. Your chance is 0 percent of you don't try. Who knows what it'll be if you do.

You are just fine.

But that quote was directed to the dude with a 2.6 sgpa and 16 dat not the one with 3.48 sgpa and 24 dat?......

Do you mean to say he has nothing to worry about? Then I agree.

oops. My bad. Funny picture tho.

And yes, he doesn't have anything to worry about.

You're all making me nervous I don't have enough volunteer hours...
as long as your 50 were from a gen dent don't sweat it too much. nab some more if you can but most of the schools I've called (~12) suggest at least 30-40 gen dent hours

I think you have great stats and extracurricular! Is there any particular reason you don't apply to UCLA?

UCLA hasn't been on my radar because I've been hearing from a lot of people that UCLA is really particular with GPA being up in the 3.7-3.8 average so it isn't really a priority of mine. I haven't seen any acceptances from them with people hovering around 3.5 though so I kind of figured it wasn't worth a shot. Do you have any thoughts on this or know of people that got in with lower stats?

GPA: ~3.45 oGPA, ~3.3 sGPA (3.7 oGPA in grad school, 4.0 in community college (needed reqs), only 32 credits)
DAT: 26AA, 26TS, 25RC, 23PAT, all above 23
Shadowing: 140 hrs
Volunteering: 4 hrs
Research: worked on a computational method for identifying co-evolving proteins, assembled a chlamydia strain genome, did work on endosymbiotic bacteria in a pest insect as a grad student.
Work: lab tech in genomic sequencing lab, adjunct community college instructor
Residency: NC

Definitely need to do some volunteering over the summer to pad that. Really want to move back to west coast where I was born (Los Angeles) but I know its a long shot.

School List:
UNC
USC
UOP
Western
MWU-AZ
AZ
Roseman
NYU
UNLV
South Carolina

Schools with low probability but I got some money and some hope:
UCLA
UCSF
OHSU
Washington
Columbia

Is there anything I should add? Is my list unrealistic?

Last edited:
26AA, you straight. Def get some more volunteering in but maybe add the Ivy schools

GPA: ~3.45 oGPA, ~3.3 sGPA (3.7 oGPA in grad school, 4.0 in community college (needed reqs), only 32 credits)
DAT: 26AA, 26TS, 25RC, 23PAT, all above 23
Shadowing: 140 hrs
Volunteering: 4 hrs
Research: worked on a computational method for identifying co-evolving proteins, assembled a chlamydia strain genome, did work on endosymbiotic bacteria in a pest insect as a grad student.
Work: lab tech in genomic sequencing lab, adjunct community college instructor
Residency: NC

Definitely need to do some volunteering over the summer to pad that. Really want to move back to west coast where I was born (Los Angeles) but I know its a long shot.

School List:
UNC
USC
UOP
Western
MWU-AZ
AZ
Roseman
NYU
UNLV
South Carolina

Schools with low probability but I got some money and some hope:
UCLA
UCSF
OHSU
Washington
Columbia

Is there anything I should add? Is my list unrealistic?
Retake for sure

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I can throw in a few more Ivies, just not sure if my GPA is up to par

That DAT is more than enough to cover for your GPA

Hi all,

Would you apply to more (or different) schools with my stats?

GPA: 3.38 BCP GPA, ~3.6 oGPA, ~3.5 sGPA
DAT: 22AA, 22TS, nothing under 20
Shadowing: 100+ hrs
Volunteering: ~100
Residency: CA

School list:

UCLA
UCSF
USC
UoP
Western
NYU
VCU
Maryland
UPenn
Louisville
Marquette
Michigan

Thanks in advance!

GPA- 3.02 cgpa 2.98sgpa (4.0 grad GPA - 20 credits so far and just finished medical anatomy and got an A, however, submitted app on June 2nd)
DAT- 22AA, 22 TS, 22 PAT
Shadowing- 188 hours (general dentist, oral surgeons, prosthodontist)
Research- ~6 months research in cancer research lab
Work- customer service at CVS in past, worked for my fathers company this past year and now a dental assistant
Residency- MI

Planning to finish up my Master's degree this fall. I have accumulated 24 credits in the masters so far.

Applied to:
At Still
MWU-AZ and IL
UDM
UofM
Creighton
Columbia
NYU
UCSF
UoP
WesternU
Herman ostrow
Lecom
Louisville
Boston Goldman
Tufts
UNE
MSDOH
UNLV
Case
Temple
Upenn
Roseman

If you are not going to take DAT again, don't apply to Columbia, Penn.
Also what's your home state?
CT. I didn't. This is my list:
UCONN
NYU
Meharry
UNE
Cleveland Case
W Va
Louisville
Marquette
Misso KC
Missouri
Midwest
Maryland
Touro
Buffalo

GPA: 3.42 overall; 3.37 sGPA, 3.47 BCP
DAT: 24 AA/25 TS/ 24PAT/ 21QR/ 19RC/ 29OC/ 28GC/ 22Bio
Letter: 3 professors + 1 denist
Shadowing: 114 hours (Oral surgeon + 2 general dentists)
Volunteering: 538 (volunteering at hospitals + ECs organizations etc)
Research: 255 Hours ( 2 projects)
Residency: NY
Work: 2500 Hours (various part time jobs through college)

Schools:
Rutgers
UPenn
Columbia
Stony Brook
Boston Uni
University of New England
Uconn
University of Maryland
NYU

Chance me? Any schools I should add or take out? My chances at Uconn and Rutgers since I am OOS, based on stats? Thanks for any advice, be blunt please.

Deleted

Last edited:
I originally did not plan for to post on this "Chance me" thread, but my GPA verification just came out today. Maybe I am just paranoid, but I freak out a little bit when I see my bcpGPA. Here are my stats:

bcpGPA: 3.45, sGPA: 3.52, oGPA: 3.58
DAT: AA 24, TS 22, PAT 21, RC 24, GC 26, BIO 20
Shadowing: total 150 hours, include 1 dental mission trip
Volunteer: around 300 hours in the Emergency Department
Research: almost 1 year, no publication
Extracurricular activities: strong
LORs: 2 mediocre LORs from Chem profs, 2 strong LORs from supervisor and dentist whom I shadowed
Residency: International (non-Canadian)

Because of my lack of permanent residency in the US, I applied to 24 schools, and only 1 public school among them. I did my research and these schools are for the most part OOS- and international-friendly. With my decent DAT of 24, I also applied to a handful of very selective schools like Columbia, Harvard and UPenn. However, what I did not expect is my BCP to come out to be that low (3.45), I was hoping it would be in the 3.5ish range. I am afraid that my bcpGPA is not decent enough for an international applicant. My question is whether the discrepancy
between my BCP and overall significant? If yes, will it hold me back somehow? Please forgive my paranoia.

Your DAT score is greater than decent. However, as an international applicant you're really not in same pool as most applicants, and as such the standards are different when they come to look at your application. Your DAT is good in that regard, but your GPA will hurt you since most accepted internationals will be higher than that. Your mediocre LOR will also hurt you, more so since they're both from Chem professors, and schools use those science profs to Guage your interaction with professors and education overall.

I'm not saying you don't have a chance, especially with your DAT score alone, but I think you made a good decision on applying to private schools where you're somewhat on a more level playing field.

Care to share your complete school list? Some others could chime in.

3.45 and 3.5 isn't much of a difference. Don't sweat it. Your stats are great. If anything, its the residency that is holding you back but you still have a great chance. @htdt

I live in New York, my stats are oGPA: 3.59 sGPA:3.38
DAT: AA: 20 TS:20
Any schools that i should add or takeaway?
1. Midwestern U- arizon
2. Nova
3. Western U
4. AT still
5. Lecom
6. Roseman
7. Midwestern u- illinois
8. Tufts
9. Nyu
10. Buffalo
11. Creighton
12. WVU
13. Boston U
14. UNE
15. ASDOH
I have about 125hours shadowing, a ton of volunteer work, no research.
Id throw touro on there as a safety

GPA: ~3.62 oGPA, ~3.5sGPA
DAT: 21AA, 21TS, 22RC, 21PAT, 19 QR, 22 Bio, 21 Ochem, 20 GC
Shadowing: 500+hrs
Volunteering: 600+hrs,
Research: 2 labs experience
Work: None
Residency: GA
Finance: 100% poverty line
School list:

Loma Linda
Western
DCG
Tufts
Boston
Louisville

Possibly adding these:
NOVA?
Missouri
Pitts

Forgot to add race lol: Asian/Pacific Islander

Please suggest! :) thank you!

oGPA: ~3.74 sGPA: ~3.81
DAT: Taking Tuesday (wish me luck) Aiming for 20+
Shadowing: ~250 hours between general and Oral/Maxillofacial
Volunteering: ~100 hours.
Research: 3 research projects; won and award for 1. I will be published (hopefully) 2 times after next semester. Currently doing research at the Neuroscience Department of Johns Hopkins Medical School.
Work: College tutor (O Chem/ Gen Chem 1 and 2) from Junior to Senior year. Also was a TA for OChem. Professional Sailor (1300 hours). Employed by Johns Hopkins Med School for the research.
Residency: MD

EC:
-President of my Fraternity
-President of Chemistry Honor Society
-VP of Inter-fraternity Council
-VP of Chemistry Honor Society

Letters:
1 Dentist (General)
3 Professors (Biochem (academic advisor) , Bio and Chem (Research Advisor)
- I feel like my letters should be very impressive.

Schools:
UMD (Dad and Grandfather attended)
Roseman
Meharry
MWU-IL
Western
Tufts
UNLV
WVU
Pitt
Louisville
MWU-AZ
UNC
Tuoro

Last edited:
oGPA: ~3.74 sGPA: ~3.81
DAT: Taking Tuesday (wish me luck) Aiming for 20+
Shadowing: ~250 hours between general and Oral/Maxillofacial
Volunteering: ~100 hours.
Research: 3 research projects; won and award for 1. I will be published (hopefully) 2 times after next semester. Currently doing research at the Neuroscience Department of Johns Hopkins Medical School.
Work: College tutor (O Chem/ Gen Chem 1 and 2) from Junior to Senior year. Also was a TA for OChem. Professional Sailor (1300 hours). Employed by Johns Hopkins Med School for the research.
Residency: MD

EC:
-President of my Fraternity
-President of Chemistry Honor Society
-VP of Inter-fraternity Council
-VP of Chemistry Honor Society

Letters:
1 Dentist (General)
3 Professors (Biochem (academic advisor) , Bio and Chem (Research Advisor)
- I feel like my letters should be very impressive.

Schools:
UMD (Dad and Grandfather attended)
Roseman
Meharry
MWU-IL
Western
Tufts
UNLV
WVU
Pitt
Louisville
MWU-AZ