PostBac coursework while abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yossarian Lives

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 29 year old currently living in Malawi. My wife and I just found out that we will be stationed in Rwanda for the next 2-3 years. Before coming to Malawi a year ago I had been planning to go back to school to start a self guided postbac at our state school, but I put it on hold to move here.

While in Malawi, I've been fortunate enough to volunteer in a clinic and interact with many doctors and patients. It has only encouraged my certainty that becoming a physician is what I want to do with my life.

I'm reluctant to wait another 3 years to begin my postbac coursework in the states. I know that many schools do not accept online coursework, but that the courses from UNE are accepted at some institutions.

My question then is, will taking the premed sequence through UNE severely limit my chances of getting acceptances, even at schools that are willing to accept the classes?
Will the fact that I took them because I was living abroad make any difference?
Would taking a semester or two of upper level sciences when I return/during my application year help?

I don't want to postpone medical school for 3 more years, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot by taking classes that won't actually help me get in.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 29 year old currently living in Malawi. My wife and I just found out that we will be stationed in Rwanda for the next 2-3 years. Before coming to Malawi a year ago I had been planning to go back to school to start a self guided postbac at our state school, but I put it on hold to move here.

While in Malawi, I've been fortunate enough to volunteer in a clinic and interact with many doctors and patients. It has only encouraged my certainty that becoming a physician is what I want to do with my life.

I'm reluctant to wait another 3 years to begin my postbac coursework in the states. I know that many schools do not accept online coursework, but that the courses from UNE are accepted at some institutions.

My question then is, will taking the premed sequence through UNE severely limit my chances of getting acceptances, even at schools that are willing to accept the classes?
Will the fact that I took them because I was living abroad make any difference?
Would taking a semester or two of upper level sciences when I return/during my application year help?

I don't want to postpone medical school for 3 more years, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot by taking classes that won't actually help me get in.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I honestly don't have the knowledge that classes would you be taking. You didn't give any information about what you have right now. The volunteer experience in Malawi with the docs is priceless and will be valuable. If I was you, I would call different schools and ask them individually about the classes you are going to take. I know most of the people are concerned of age, but at 29 you still have some time. Do your best when taking those classes and volunteer work get more information from school and base your decision on that. I am taking about the age because I am 41 years old, have 2 interviews lines up next month. If I get accepted, I will be about 42 when I start. Good luck and happy thanks giving.

Sorry for the limited information. I have my bachelors in History so I have limited science classes (Bio 1, Chem 1, Microbiology, A&P).
I'm basically asking about taking all of my science prereqs this way.

Sorry for the limited information. I have my bachelors in History so I have limited science classes (Bio 1, Chem 1, Microbiology, A&P).
I'm basically asking about taking all of my science prereqs this way.

Thanks for the info. I still think I would try and ask a few med schools about your situation and if they will accept those classes. That will take any doubts away. If not, then would be no choice but to wait.