Postbac Interview Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRatched

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I received an email from Goucher today inviting me to interview. Does anyone have any advice for the interview process?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an invite, too!!! When are you interviewing? I signed up for March 4th.

Hi! I know people aren't fans of new threads, so I'm jumping into this one from earlier this year. Does anyone have advice on what attire is appropriate for post-bacc interviews? (I'm a girl.) It seems that med school interviews are quite formal, and I'm not sure how these interviews compare dress-wise. Just as formal, or more business casual? Would a dress suit be too formal?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
I interviewed at a few places last year, I would definitely err on the side of being too formal versus not dressed up enough. It's better to be the person who walks in and is over dressed rather than walking in and wearing a sweater while everyone else has suit on. Also from personal experience last year, everyone was in a suit. Good luck with the interview!

Hi! I know people aren't fans of new threads, so I'm jumping into this one from earlier this year. Does anyone have advice on what attire is appropriate for post-bacc interviews? (I'm a girl.) It seems that med school interviews are quite formal, and I'm not sure how these interviews compare dress-wise. Just as formal, or more business casual? Would a dress suit be too formal?
Assume a suit always.

As SeverusSnape said - be overdressed. You'd be amazed at how under-dressed some people will show up, and its noted in the interview processes - least we do at my med school. And dress conservatively - its not the time to have your cleavage out or a skirt thats waaay too short. Sounds like common sense, but honestly you'd be amazed at what people show up in

Just to chime in..I also interviewed several places last year and 99% of the interviewees were wearing suits. One girl was wearing more of business casual and I'd say she stuck out a little.

Read your invitation for cues or call to ask. I can imagine on the East Coast, it is more formal, but here in Denver, things are more relaxed. Our interview invites specifically say that it is not intended to be formal thing, but more of a relaxed conversation. Most students wear business casual attire to interview and the faculty they meet with will be either business casual or casual, depending on if they are in front of a class that day.