poster abstract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i worked at a lab this summer and helped my boss out with a project for her poster- i did a lot of the work. because of this, she told me that she decided to put my name on her poster for the conference (she even said that it was b/c of the work i did). however, i looked at the abstracts online for the conference and my name is still not "published" online. it also says that abstract submission is closed n the final program is available.

Does this mean I should take the abstract off my CV? I know she will definitely write my name on the actual presentation but if there is no proof...makes me wonder. she is very scatterbrained and i know that she recently got married so she has been busy. so i don't think this was a personal thing persay, maybe just her not paying attention to deadlines. i feel like i should leave the abstract on my CV because if anything, anyone can ask her if she did actually put my name on the poster and i know she will. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

just looked at the deadlines and realized that the deadline to make a change to an abstract was in may so that was before i even started working. so there wasn't really a way for her to add me in anyway? what does that mean for me? I feel like I should still write this in my CV because if in doubt they can ask her about it and she said that if it ever becomes a published paper my name will be on it.

just looked at the deadlines and realized that the deadline to make a change to an abstract was in may so that was before i even started working. so there wasn't really a way for her to add me in anyway? what does that mean for me? I feel like I should still write this in my CV because if in doubt they can ask her about it and she said that if it ever becomes a published paper my name will be on it.

Given that the abstract was due in May (was this for SFN?), your name would obviously not be listed. However, poster presentations can include more/different information at the actual conference, so I would still list it on my CV, if I were you. You may have to list it as a poster rather than an abstract, though. I'm not sure about the rules regarding this... anyone else have suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
well basically on my CV (since i also don't have a lot of publications yet) I just have one heading called Posters/Publications since i don't really consider a poster a true publication. i'msurprised that she submitted her abstract in may if she wasn't close to being done with the results- do most scientists do it like this?

I don't know how most people do it. My PI won't let us submit an abstract without the data, but I get the sense that other people will submit abstracts based on their current projects, even if they aren't completed yet. I think it varies a lot.

Go ahead and list it. I generally have my coworkers take pictures of us and the team when we present (conferences are a good time and we're all proud of the work we do). That can serve as proof if anyone is of the mind to investigate your claim.

As an aside, always try to get a copy of the program when you present. As you build a professional portfolio, you need to accumulate the evidence to back up the items on your CV.

I don't know how most people do it. My PI won't let us submit an abstract without the data, but I get the sense that other people will submit abstracts based on their current projects, even if they aren't completed yet. I think it varies a lot.
Oh yeah - this is a problem, and I don't agree with it. This summer, as a part of my funding, I had to present a poster on the funded project. Problem is, due to lab conflicts, the data had not yet been taken. The poster amounted to a "progress update," and it was the first time I presented anything without the results to back it up. I would not have done it if it wasn't a requirement, and even then, I tried to get out of it.

i won't be in the program though since she couldn't have made changes to her submitted abstract after may. so essentially i have no proof that my name was on the poster.

i won't be in the program though since she couldn't have made changes to her submitted abstract after may. so essentially i have no proof that my name was on the poster.
Taking a picture by the poster at the conference with your name on it is a way to prove you were there for your current situation. Getting a program was meant as a tip for next time.

i won't be at that conference as it is unfortunately too far away. but thanks for the tips