poster presentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kralwok

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so this is kind of lame, but i have to ask... if my name is on a poster that was presented at a conference can i list that even if i didn't attend the conference. i'm not one to pad my cv with stupid things and i definitely was not the one presenting the poster, but at the same time i did put a lot of work into the project (and didn't end up on the final journal article so can't list that).

Members don't see this ad.

so i guess i will list it??

ok, so this is kind of lame, but i have to ask... if my name is on a poster that was presented at a conference can i list that even if i didn't attend the conference. i'm not one to pad my cv with stupid things and i definitely was not the one presenting the poster, but at the same time i did put a lot of work into the project (and didn't end up on the final journal article so can't list that).

I would put it if it satisfies the two conditions below -

1. If you really think its important and dont have a lot of other stuff in your publications.
2. You can talk about it (the project) and your role in it at the interview extensively.

This is an MS4's opinion, so please take it as that - you may want someone who is senior to comment as well.

I say sure, if you did the research project and worked on the poster but weren't able to attend the actual conference, I see no reason not to list it. I also had a poster that I was unable to attend the conference for and I listed it. After all, you put work into it.

Resurrecting an old thread with a slightly different question. What does everyone think is the max reasonable amount of $ to spend going to a conference? The institution I used to work for has not provided me any funding, but my poster was accepted for presentation at a conference. Even if I register for just one day, this trip will cost me at least $1000, which seems absurd for one line on my CV saying I was the one who presented. Plus, it seems like it's still reasonable to put the poster on my CV even if one of the docs I worked with has to present instead (she will be at the conference, anyway). I have a couple days to decide, but I'm leaning towards not going. Maybe a missed networking opportunity, but $1,000???

As long as your name is on the poster, you can list it as an experience.

$500? Is there anyway you can make it into a vacation? I attended a conference in New Orleans and didn't even present anything, but it basically became a senior trip. I did attend all 3 days of the conference, but in the evening and weekend, I hit the town with my friends.

I wouldn't spend 1000 to attend a conference, but if it was in an appealing area, and I could make a weekend trip of it, I would be willing to spend that kind of money on it.

Depends on the senior authors expectations. Did they put you on the poster expecting you to present?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk