Potential problem with match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nick-2217

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very concerned about something and wouldn't mind getting some feedback.

So I matched to a psychiatry program as a US senior this year. The state that my program is in requires that we get a training license before our start date, and requires all steps passed before, I'm still waiting on my CK score to come back. My school only requires that we take it before graduating not pass it, and the state my school is in doesn't require USMLE scores for training licences, so I put it off for too long.

I'm worried that if I fail it I won't be able to get it all done in time and not being able to start residency on time. Basically my understanding is that two things could happen:
1) My program could delay my start but keep me on, potentially swapping out some elective time or extending my residency later on
2) The program could say that I'm not eligible for the start date of July 1st and release me from the program via an NMRP waiver.

Obviously I'm most concerned about option #2 and concerned about what I'd do next year/how I'd reapply/if having a waiver (not a match violation) would be a kiss of death for getting any residency ever?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any value in worrying now? You can't fix it, and you don't even know if it's a problem yet. So what do you gain by worrying?

Option 1 is more likely, but still a pain for you and them. No one wants to match someone who can't start.
This is why I keep hammering on the issue of applicants putting off Step2!.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The requirement of step II to be granted an interview isn't an indication of how strong or how picky a program can be. It is a measure of whether or not a PD have been burned by having a PGY-I be unable to start on time.

Reactions: 1 users

So I matched to a psychiatry program as a US senior this year. The state that my program is in requires that we get a training license before our start date, and requires all steps passed before, I'm still waiting on my CK score to come back. My school only requires that we take it before graduating not pass it, and the state my school is in doesn't require USMLE scores for training licences, so I put it off for too long.

I'm worried that if I fail it I won't be able to get it all done in time and not being able to start residency on time. Basically my understanding is that two things could happen:
1) My program could delay my start but keep me on, potentially swapping out some elective time or extending my residency later on
2) The program could say that I'm not eligible for the start date of July 1st and release me from the program via an NMRP waiver.

Obviously I'm most concerned about option #2 and concerned about what I'd do next year/how I'd reapply/if having a waiver (not a match violation) would be a kiss of death for getting any residency ever?

You said all steps, do they expect you to have step 3 done too?

Sorry to hear your struggling. I have not heard of having a license before residency . Also, if i remember you cannot even register as a us med student for step 3 until you have graduated and there is a bit of a process to becoming eligible. I would double check but I don't think you can take step 3 as a US senior if you haven't graduated medical school. The only people i know that have done this are IMGs or those who didn't match or start residency after graduating medical school. Also, even if you tried to register after you technically graduated in may (my guess) it takes a bit of time to be deemed eligible and I don't see how you could become eligible, take the test, and pass it before your residency under perfect conditions. Something doesn't make sense.

Stating the obvious: do your best not to fail. I would hit USMLE World's Qbank hard in any remaining time (or whatever your study plan is). If you have not had issues passing step 1 or with clerkship performance you will likely be okay.

If you do fail it's hard to say what the program will do. I personally would not bring this issue up to the program unless and until I failed, because failure is unlikely. I would bet that most programs would use vacation and elective (research or self-study) time upfront to try to buy you some time to retake it, but they would be within their rights to back out. If they did that I don't believe it would be a 'kiss of death' or similar to future applications, it would just be a significant negative mark to explain.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean worst case scenario you fail. I imagine you would have your score by the end of the month if you just took it. You could always study and take it end of may or early june and have your passing score before you started.