Potential Reapplicant- Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperaeroplane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this has been a long and pretty dissapointing cycle for me....My stats are 29 MCAT and 3.7 GPA. I applied to over 40 schools (30 MD and 10 DO) and have only received 3 interview invites (1 MD (state school) and 2 DO). I was waitlisted at the MD school and got in to one DO school. I know I should be happy I got in somewhere, but the location of the DO school is not somewhere I would really want to spend four years of my life at all....I am still waiting to hear back from the other DO school I interviewed at.

My question is: Do you think it is worth it to reapply this year after retaking the MCAT in May? Assuming I do better on the MCAT (around a 34), do you think it would be possible to get into MD programs as a reapplicant? I would only want to reapply if it was a viable route...I am older, in my mid-20's, and am looking to begin my career.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is: Do you think it is worth it to reapply this year after retaking the MCAT in May?
No, no, and no.

Start looking for housing and get ready to move. Yeah, it's a little disappointing that your dream isn't going 100% according to plan, but try to keep some perspective. By reapplying you'd be letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. The location of your med school is a minor inconvenience in the whole scheme of things compared to maybe not getting in anywhere next year, along with wasting a great deal of time and money chasing after a more perfect dream.

It is also kind of hard to explain to schools that you were accepted but didn't go. Some people look past excuses like location/dream school/etc. Take the acceptance and work your ass off and get a good residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you don't improve your MCAT?

Then, you just wasted all that money applying this cycle, will waste more next year, and essentially walked away from a spot in medical school. If you really wanted MD that badly, you should have waited to take the MCAT again before applying in the first place.

It may seem unfortunate, but many people would love to have an acceptance under their belt. Go to school, work hard and you can end up in an allo residency.

No, no, and no.

Start looking for housing and get ready to move. Yeah, it's a little disappointing that your dream isn't going 100% according to plan, but try to keep some perspective. By reapplying you'd be letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. The location of your med school is a minor inconvenience in the whole scheme of things compared to maybe not getting in anywhere next year, along with wasting a great deal of time and money chasing after a more perfect dream.

Agree completely. No one wants an applicant that refused an admission.