Potential reapplicant - advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolhopeful15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Couple things that make this kind of tricky.

@gyngyn do you personally think lower tier OOS schools are more likely to give IIs to Texans if they are URMs? Those are the only places OP generated traction but they did generate a fair amount of it. Not the first time I've seen this with URMs from Texas either

OP a July 9th MCAT isn't all that late if all the other parts of your app are up to speed and you prewrite secondaries from schools you will likely apply if you get a 502+.

Couple things that make this tricky but here are some thoughts

a) While exceptions exist like you certainly exist generally speaking many OOS schools are less likely to give serious consideration to TX applicants
b) Even for a URM your GPA is on the lower end for these TX schools that put a fair amount of weight in GPA. Being a reapplicant isn't going to help either
c) your stats are around average for a Black MD matriculant but you might be in the wrong state
d) you were talking about concerns over not improving on an MCAT retake so I would also point out only retake if you have good reason to actually hit 507+. In fact if you weren't a reapplicant Tx applicant I wouldn't retake here even
e) Take a look at OOS lower tiers you aren't a reapplicant at
f) Polish the interview skills. I don't think stats prevented an acceptance at Drexel or RFU at all. Interview is the first place I'd look at
g) if you choose to go DO over doing an SMP then yes if you add DOs you'll likely not have any problems getting acceptances at DO schools

@gyngyn do you personally think lower tier OOS schools are more likely to give IIs to Texans if they are URMs? Those are the only places OP generated traction but they did generate a fair amount of it. Not the first time I've seen this with URMs from Texas either
UiM trumps TX residency for schools that can offer a recruitment scholarship (without regard to "tier").

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UiM trumps TX residency for schools that can offer a recruitment scholarship (without regard to "tier").

A URM with these stats is likely to have a good chance at getting recruitment money at most lower tier OOS schools(that would accept them) no?

Do you think GPA was a significant part of why there were no Texas IIs here?

Last edited:
A URM with these stats is likely to have a good chance at getting recruitment money at most lower tier OOS schools(that would accept them) no?

Do you think GPA was a significant part of why there were no Texas IIs here?
The schools with the real recruitment money are not "lower tier."
TX does love their gpa's

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Couple things that make this kind of tricky.

OP a July 9th MCAT isn't all that late if all the other parts of your app are up to speed and you prewrite secondaries from schools you will likely apply if you get a 502+.

Couple things that make this tricky but here are some thoughts

a) While exceptions exist like you certainly exist generally speaking many OOS schools are less likely to give serious consideration to TX applicants
b) Even for a URM your GPA is on the lower end for these TX schools that put a fair amount of weight in GPA. Being a reapplicant isn't going to help either
c) your stats are around average for a Black MD matriculant but you might be in the wrong state
d) you were talking about concerns over not improving on an MCAT retake so I would also point out only retake if you have good reason to actually hit 507+. In fact if you weren't a reapplicant Tx applicant I wouldn't retake here even
e) Take a look at OOS lower tiers you aren't a reapplicant at
f) Polish the interview skills. I don't think stats prevented an acceptance at Drexel or RFU at all. Interview is the first place I'd look at
g) if you choose to go DO over doing an SMP then yes if you add DOs you'll likely not have any problems getting acceptances at DO schools
Thank you for your response! I will continue to prepare for the July mcat and aim for a 507+. I will also pre-write secondaries while I'm waiting for my score. Do you think applying late might've been a deal-breaker this cycle in combination with my gpa (especially for Texas schools)?

IU and UWV like URM candidates, even if OOS. A number of my AA SDN advisees have had luck with them.

Thank you for your response! I will continue to prepare for the July mcat and aim for a 507+. I will also pre-write secondaries while I'm waiting for my score. Do you think applying late might've been a deal-breaker this cycle in combination with my gpa (especially for Texas schools)?

IU and UWV like URM candidates, even if OOS. A number of my AA SDN advisees have had luck with them.
Thank you! I will add those to my list. Do you think I would have a good shot at those schools with my current stats or with the mcat retake?