Potential School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfman7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oregon resident here looking for some input. My cGPA is 3.65 sGPA 3.59 and have been working full time since the recession hit pretty hard here and I needed to find a job that could pay the bills and rent. Anyways I'm set to take the MCAT on May 31 st and I have gotten a 28 and 30 on my last 2 practice tests. My Ecs are not spectacular or varied, about 300 hours volunteering at a free clinic, about 40md shadowing hours, and 8 hours Do shadowing, with more coming when I get time off work. I'll definitely apply to PNWU and Western U but not really sure what other schools would be good options. Cost and location are not a factor since I will be applying for Hpsp.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to look at schools and decide what you want. Systems or traditional. Location of rotations. New fancy buildings or reputation. No one can tell you where to apply, you need to decide for yourself what you want in a school.

Your GPA is solid for all Osteopathic schools. If you hit 27+ on the MCAT your chances are golden for DO. I'd also add some MD schools as well. For DO i'd suggest, CCOM, PCOM, RowanSOM, Nova, NYIT to start along with others in your area.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is solid for all Osteopathic schools. If you hit 27+ on the MCAT your chances are golden for DO. I'd also add some MD schools as well. For DO i'd suggest, CCOM, PCOM, RowanSOM, Nova, NYIT to start along with others in your area.

Good list

Thanks for the suggestions Top Tomato. I will definitely add those schools to my list and plan on casting a pretty wide net. As for MD OHSU is the only school I've considered thus far and I would have to get a really good MCAT to have a shot at some OOS MD.

Well, if you want to stay in the West, there's always Western-Pomona, TUCOM-CA, TUCOM-NV, RVU, and the two AZ schools.

Oregon resident here looking for some input. My cGPA is 3.65 sGPA 3.59 and have been working full time since the recession hit pretty hard here and I needed to find a job that could pay the bills and rent. Anyways I'm set to take the MCAT on May 31 st and I have gotten a 28 and 30 on my last 2 practice tests. My Ecs are not spectacular or varied, about 300 hours volunteering at a free clinic, about 40md shadowing hours, and 8 hours Do shadowing, with more coming when I get time off work. I'll definitely apply to PNWU and Western U but not really sure what other schools would be good options. Cost and location are not a factor since I will be applying for Hpsp.

I'd also add some MD schools as well.
What would you suggest, off the top of your head, for a candidate of this caliber? I am in a similar situation as well, and is hoping for some insight.