power shortage during test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chili doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would appreciate if someone can give me some advice about my situation.

I recently took my comlex level 3 and that was a power shortage while I was proof reading my section 7. The power did come back couple hours later but all the test takers were not allowed to be back to test cent resuming tests. For comlex 3 test, there are 8 sections. I was not told how many sections are successfully saved. assuming 7.

Prometric and NBOME have been working on this case for 1 month. NBOME just responded that I only have 2 options (listed as below) and I have to respond in 1.5 days
1. score the test as it is but I can't make any claim if I fail
2. reschedule the test. The one I took will be voided. The new test fee will be covered.

I am leaning towards to score it (option 1). However, I am afraid if in fact I fail, I can't make any claim and I have to pay ~$800 for the new test. I don't know if it is worth to find a lawyer now to address this issue. I don't even know how to find a lawyer I can trust. Is this overreacting about this unfairness?

If you ave any idea, please let me know. I really really appreciate any input.

Thank you!

CD

Members don't see this ad.

How can you pass without taking the 8th section? Not a DO student but getting a 0 on a whole section seems like a huge loss of points.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I would appreciate if someone can give me some advice about my situation.

I recently took my comlex level 3 and that was a power shortage while I was proof reading my section 7. The power did come back couple hours later but all the test takers were not allowed to be back to test cent resuming tests. For comlex 3 test, there are 8 sections. I was not told how many sections are successfully saved. assuming 7.

Prometric and NBOME have been working on this case for 1 month. NBOME just responded that I only have 2 options (listed as below) and I have to respond in 1.5 days
1. score the test as it is but I can't make any claim if I fail
2. reschedule the test. The one I took will be voided. The new test fee will be covered.

I am leaning towards to score it (option 1). However, I am afraid if in fact I fail, I can't make any claim and I have to pay ~$800 for the new test. I don't know if it is worth to find a lawyer now to address this issue. I don't even know how to find a lawyer I can trust. Is this overreacting about this unfairness?

If you ave any idea, please let me know. I really really appreciate any input.

Thank you!

CD

Retake it, dude. If you fail it will leave a mark on your resume that's going to be hard to explain. Whenever you say "I failed because of a power outage" your interviewer will roll his eyes and think "excuses".

Reactions: 1 user
yeah,failed because of a power outage" your interviewer will roll his eyes and think "excuses".
PGtljB

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, I don't think anyone else is going to think you should choose option 1 to score as is. That is such a huge risk, especially if you have a clean academic record up until now. Don't ruin it, retake!

Cancel the test. I had something similar happen (monitor went out, exam still running, took 5-10 mins for the testing site personnel to shut down computer and restart at new workstation) and I elected to proceed despite the fact that I would not be credited with lost time. Cost me ~20 points and a whole lot of stress ensuring that I did realllly well on Step 2.

PS for the haters out there... only one program comment on the disparity in the scores. And that was simply to say that I'd made a significant improvement. I never mentioned the issue in my residency applications or while on the interview trail.

Cancel the test. I had something similar happen (monitor went out, exam still running, took 5-10 mins for the testing site personnel to shut down computer and restart at new workstation) and I elected to proceed despite the fact that I would not be credited with lost time. Cost me ~20 points and a whole lot of stress ensuring that I did realllly well on Step 2.

PS for the haters out there... only one program comment on the disparity in the scores. And that was simply to say that I'd made a significant improvement. I never mentioned the issue in my residency applications or while on the interview trail.

Cool story bro.