PPI's and food allergies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nys

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a link with a summary of all the research on the subject by one of the main researchers, Eva Untersmayr. http://asthmaallergieschildren.com/...first-line-of-defense-against-food-allergies/ How much of a concern do you think this? It isn't mentioned in the side effects, so obviously it isn't regarded as a concern. Plus, millions of people take it and if they caused allergies they would have been withdrawn.. I did develop a milk allergy recently. Which occurred around the first time I tried PPI's.

I was wondering if, based on the logic of these studies, a nissen fundoplication could increase the risk of food allergies. It increases gastric motility, which I thought might increase the risk of gastric proteins entering the intestinal mucosa undigested, which has been linked with causing allergies. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11505058 I also wonder if nutrient absorption is hindered by the increase in gastric motility and post surgery diarrhea, which never dissipates in % of patients. Digestion of food may affect testosterone, through things like cholestorol, dietary fat and nutrient absorption,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering if, based on the logic of these studies, a nissen fundoplication could increase the risk of food allergies....... I also wonder if nutrient absorption is hindered by the increase in gastric motility and post surgery diarrhea, which never dissipates in % of patients.
..........................................:dead:

..........................................:dead:

Could you expand on your answer please? I've only just completed my A-Levels. I don't really have advanced knowledge of gastroenterology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a link with a summary of all the research on the subject by one of the main researchers, Eva Untersmayr. http://asthmaallergieschildren.com/...first-line-of-defense-against-food-allergies/ How much of a concern do you think this? It isn't mentioned in the side effects, so obviously it isn't regarded as a concern. Plus, millions of people take it and if they caused allergies they would have been withdrawn.. I did develop a milk allergy recently. Which occurred around the first time I tried PPI's.

I was wondering if, based on the logic of these studies, a nissen fundoplication could increase the risk of food allergies. It increases gastric motility, which I thought might increase the risk of gastric proteins entering the intestinal mucosa undigested, which has been linked with causing allergies. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11505058 I also wonder if nutrient absorption is hindered by the increase in gastric motility and post surgery diarrhea, which never dissipates in % of patients. Digestion of food may affect testosterone, through things like cholestorol, dietary fat and nutrient absorption,

Bump in case somebody has an answer.

Jonathan Wright, MD has written an interesting book called "Why Stomach Acid is Good for you." I know a few MDs who abide by this perspective and get good results. Their approach is completely the opposite of the GERD guidelines. When they get patients with GERD/dyspepsia they typically prescribe HCL tablets unless there is a contraindication (H. pylori, ulcers, bleeds, etc).

How does this make any sense? Because, according to Dr. Wright, it is a defiency of HCL that causes GERD and dyspepsia-- his theory is that stress actually depresses the production of digestive enzymes and HCL. Lactic acid builds up in place of HCL which irritates the GI lining (MDs sometimes measure the stomach pH, but rarely what acid is in the stomach.) We then give PPIs which further perpetuates the problem. I am only describing the theory he proposed in his book. But it is an interesting one and makes some biological sense. The relevance to your question is that if you continually suppress your digestive abilities, it is quite possible for chronic indigestion to have unintended effects. Many MDs provide tests to check the stomach Ph as a parameter for therapy indication.

From a holistic perspective, it only makes sense that suppressing digestion would have adverse effects further down in the body. We already know about osteoporosis and increased risk of C. difficile. I think the years coming with have more to say about other adverse effects of PPIs. Allergies make sense as well-- there is a definite biological plausibility for that.