PR or Kaplan in SEATTLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holisticmedicin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you taken PR or Kaplan MCAT prep in SEATTLE recently ??? I hear location, location, location depends on which course may have the better reputaion. If you live in Seattle and you have taken either MCAT prep course, please give me your opinion and please include why you liked it or why you did not. THANK YOU!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have insufficient study habits or can't progressively study, I wouldn't recommend doing a test prep.

OP, this for me is like asking Ford or Chevy for a new car. It all comes down to one's preference. It also depends on your honest assessment of yourself if you need a prep-program or not. In my case, I chose Kaplan due to a friend's recommendation (who was also accepted and graduated from Medical School recently). IF you are a strong student in studying, check out the programs under the MCAT threads. Additionally choosing either one does not guarantee success if you are not willing to make the sacrifice in time, study as hard as you can (most here recommend 4-5 hours a day, again see the schedules in the MCAT threads), and use all of the available resources that you possibly can. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR for the win. but moreso cuz of the books. i personally don't recommend a study center but if you need the additional motivation and structure, by all means.

Unless you really need a course, just buy the TBR books and follow the SN2ed plan. Courses are way more expensive than they're worth, IMO (and I took one).

Honestly, just coming out of taking the MCAT:

I was an advocate of PR, but no. This test featured almost nothing by the PR. I took PR, did the online tests (all the standard ones, not cracking or anything like that) and some diagnostics and whatever else.

They don't compare to the real MCAT. Then again, I don't feel the AAMC's do either.

You must get TBR.

I'm in Seattle. I used a friend's Kaplan materials the first time I took the test, and I bombed it. I used all of his study materials (I know, unethical, but I was really broke and desperate) but I didn't really dedicate myself to studying. Then I took the PR course and improved my score dramatically. Some of the instructors were really good, and some actually sucked, but I would just go to other instructors' classes in those cases. The good instructors were amazing though, and one even offered an extra review/what now (post-MCAT) session. PR seemed to be much more content review, and that's apparently what I needed. I also spent a TON more time studying, treating it like a full time job since I was just working all weekend.

PR was definitely helpful, but what made the biggest difference was realizing that I couldn't skate through the test like I did school. If you choose to take a class, use it as a skeleton and frame your studying around it.

I took Kaplan in Seattle. Frankly, I got nothing out of it, other than having access to their online database of questions and the KAPLAN FLs and AAMC FLs they include in the package. I took the MCAT and voided, because I wasn't ready. I decided to buy some materials from EK, and found a TPRH Science workbook and went off that on my own. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do SN2ed's program.

Thank you from Seattle! I will do a test prep class. I took physics and gen chem 5 years ago. Im good on organic and physiology but i need a study classroom. I need an accessable teacher to ask questions. I want an insight into the test without compromising what I need to learn and yet not overlearning things not relevant to the test...

I cannot seem to find ANY reviews on ANY of the classes offered here in Seattle. Its like the companies block all reviews or somehow remove them... seems strange to me that I cannot find one good or negative review regarding the teachers here in Seattle...for either kaplan or PR.

thank you for your input...