Practice Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spring888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do realize this is a question that has been asked a ton of times but I am asking for my particular situation...

I took the MCAT twice and am taking it again Jan 28th. I have used all the AAMC and TPR Practice tests but I do think I need to be taking practices exams. I realize that AAMC tests wont be a totally accurate representation of my ability but should i continue to use them? Or should I order TBR tests? I hear these are quite difficult, and I am afraid I will end up ruining my confidence, etc. How should I best use the next month?

Members don't see this ad.

I do realize this is a question that has been asked a ton of times but I am asking for my particular situation...

I took the MCAT twice and am taking it again Jan 28th. I have used all the AAMC and TPR Practice tests but I do think I need to be taking practices exams. I realize that AAMC tests wont be a totally accurate representation of my ability but should i continue to use them? Or should I order TBR tests? I hear these are quite difficult, and I am afraid I will end up ruining my confidence, etc. How should I best use the next month?

TBR exams are pretty good.

How long ago did you take the AAMCs? It might be worth trying to take those again if it's been a long time.

I'd say your question has been answered in those threads before.

1. Do not reuse old practice material. You probably won't remember all of the questions/answers, but getting higher scores due to recognizing an answer as the right one (because you've done it before) could cause you to overlook areas that you are weak on. For instance, if you are weak in stereochemistry, but you get 8/8 on a stereochemistry passage because you recognized 5 of the answers and got 3 right on your own, you might think "Well, I guess I'm good at stereochemistry, no need to review it again."
2. Take as many practice tests as you can afford, regardless of what company they are from.

In addition, you can do non-FL passages like the ones in TBR and 30 minute EK exams, EK mini-mcats, etc.

Last edited:
I have take some of the AAMC tests about 6 months ago, some as far back as 10 months or so. I have done tons of those passages, at this point im really just running out of material altogether. I think I may just have to order the TBR tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have take some of the AAMC tests about 6 months ago, some as far back as 10 months or so. I have done tons of those passages, at this point im really just running out of material altogether. I think I may just have to order the TBR tests.

What have you done besides TPR and AAMC?

TBR has passages in their books as well as 7 CBTs
Gold Standard has 10 CBTs
EK Has 16 1 hour mini-mcats as well as a ton of 30 minute exams

There are a lot of resources out there.

I was originally scheduled to take my first MCAT a year ago, so I started preparing in Oct 2010. It's been about 14 months and I've gotten through quite a bit lol. I've been doing TBR passages from the books and working through some EK tests I didn't get to. Haven't used Gold Standard. It's between that and TBR for practice exams. Which would you suggest?

I was originally scheduled to take my first MCAT a year ago, so I started preparing in Oct 2010. It's been about 14 months and I've gotten through quite a bit lol. I've been doing TBR passages from the books and working through some EK tests I didn't get to. Haven't used Gold Standard. It's between that and TBR for practice exams. Which would you suggest?

Just based on what I've read here, TBR is harder. GS is cheaper though.

I think TBR is $200 for 7 passages and GS is $150 for 10.

http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html

http://www.mcat-prep.com/practice-mcat-cbts/