practice in Canada n Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docbygod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read sumwhr tht dentists licensed to practice in Australia can practice in Canada as well n vice versa but m confused whether it is nly fr dose hu hve a Dds degree or even d foreign trained dentists hu clear d equivalency exam n get d license to practice widout doing Dds. if anyone has any information regarding this kindly help. Thank u

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, even im intrested in knowing the same. I am canadian citizen, currently pursuing bds in india. I came to know that australian dds is acceptable in canada, is there any program like "international degrree completion in australia" like the one in canada and us. So taht one can do dds in australia after bds.

Yes, Australian dental schools are fully recognised in Canada and allow those that completed a dental degree in Australia to sit the Canadian national examinations and vice versa. This reciprocal agreement was signed and ratified back in 2010, and it is valid for all Australian dental schools that are registered and accredited with the Australian Dental Council (ADC). Again, vice versa, for Canada to Australia.

So whether you completed the Bachelor of Dental Science or the Doctor or Dental Surgery, to use an example, as these degrees lead to the professional designation as a dentist in Australia and are accredited by the ADC, you are bound by the reciprocal agreement.

Now, in Australia we don't have any dental degrees which allow graduates of dental degrees from other jurisdictions to complete and then meet our requirements. You have to apply for admission in to an official dental program in Australia, whether the Bachelor of Dental Science or the Doctor of Dental Surgery. We don't offer any bridging programs for those with qualifications from other jurisdictions that are not recognised in Australia.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of going to go to Australia to do Dentistry now that there's this reciprocity agreement. Which school would you advise that I should apply to? I heard that U of Melbourne accepts quite a few international students. I was also thinking of James Cook University and University of Griffith as well.

There are two pathways and options when it comes to studying dentistry in Australia, which I outlined above.

The graduate stream is open to students who have completed an undergraduate degree already and have completed either the DAT or MCAT. The programs are 4 years in length and at the moment, the University of Melbourne and the University of Sydney both offer a graduate entry dental program titled the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) and the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD), respectively. The degrees are 4 years in length.

The undergraduate stream is open to students with a minimum of completed high school and typically there are no entrance examinations such as the DAT or MCAT. Some universities that do require an entrance examination require you to sit the ISAT. Whether you are applying directly from high school or after partially or fully completing an undergraduate degree, you are eligible to apply.

The undergraduate entry streams are 5 years in length and the universities that offer them are James Cook University - Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) and the University of Queensland - Bachelor of Dental Science (BDSc).

No matter which dental program you complete, you are eligible to practice as a dentist in Australia and you are eligible to sit the NDEB examinations in Canada.

Couple of tips:

1. Don't apply to a particular school because they have more international places. Competition for admission in to Australian dental schools is high, especially at Melbourne.

2. Apply to a few dental schools - because the competition is high for international places many students apply to a number of Australian dental schools. In all honesty, this is my recommendation.

For more info, you can always check out: http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/dentistry/PG/overview.php

If you have any questions, just let me know at any time. Good Luck!

Take care,

Matt

Hey Matt thanks for the reply,

How long does the NDEB licensing exams usually take if I were to come back to Canada and get my eligibility to practice as a dentist?

Hey Coolsbreeze,

So there are three NDEB examination sittings presently, March, May and November.

There are two sections to the NDEB examination, the written examinations and the OSCE. They are taken a day apart.

You usually have to register for the NDEB at least two months prior to the sitting available.

So if you graduated from an Australian Dental School in December and you could register (registration is in early January) for the March NDEB exam sitting, then you are looking at a 3-4 and possibly a 5 month lead time from the time that you graduate in Australia.

Now, you can sit the NDEB examination within three months of your expected graduation date. Hence, you could write the exam in November, prior to completing and graduating from your program.

But again, you are looking at about a 3-5 month lead time.

Hope that this helps.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Take care,

Matt

Hey Matt, any tips for US dental school grads? My wife is a US dentist and we're looking at her applying for licensure in either Australia or NZ. If she gets her NZ license, would she able to register under Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition law? Cheers!

Hey BlueToothHunter,

Mate, great question...and you are in luck!

1. Dentists who are registered to practise in New Zealand under Trans Tasman mutual recognition

Dentists who are registered to practise in New Zealand are eligible to apply for General Registration under Trans Tasman mutual recognition (this applies irrespective of where training was undertaken).

Source: http://www.dentalboard.gov.au/Registration/Overseas-Practitioner-Registration/Dentists.aspx

The great thing here is that if your wife is accredited in NZ, and although she completed her training in the US, under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition she would be eligible to apply for General Registration in Australia with the DBA.

As well, if your end goal is to move to Australia, you may wish to have her apply for Skilled Migration. At the moment Dentists are on the Skilled Occupation List - Schedule 1. This list does change from year to year and each July 1st it is updated. So, if you wish to migrate to Australia, you may just want to apply for Skilled Migration. Yes, it is a process and there are no guarantees, but with dentists being on the list, it really helps.

The Skilled Occupation List can be found: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf

For more information, please visit: http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-189/

You may also wish to consult with a certified migration agent or contact the Australian Embassy in Washington, if you live in the US, or the Australian High Commission in Ottawa, if you are in Canada.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Take care,

Matt

Reactions: 1 user
Hey BlueToothHunter,

Mate, great question...and you are in luck!

1. Dentists who are registered to practise in New Zealand under Trans Tasman mutual recognition

Dentists who are registered to practise in New Zealand are eligible to apply for General Registration under Trans Tasman mutual recognition (this applies irrespective of where training was undertaken).

Source: http://www.dentalboard.gov.au/Registration/Overseas-Practitioner-Registration/Dentists.aspx

The great thing here is that if your wife is accredited in NZ, and although she completed her training in the US, under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition she would be eligible to apply for General Registration in Australia with the DBA.

As well, if your end goal is to move to Australia, you may wish to have her apply for Skilled Migration. At the moment Dentists are on the Skilled Occupation List - Schedule 1. This list does change from year to year and each July 1st it is updated. So, if you wish to migrate to Australia, you may just want to apply for Skilled Migration. Yes, it is a process and there are no guarantees, but with dentists being on the list, it really helps.

The Skilled Occupation List can be found: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf

For more information, please visit: http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-189/

You may also wish to consult with a certified migration agent or contact the Australian Embassy in Washington, if you live in the US, or the Australian High Commission in Ottawa, if you are in Canada.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Take care,

Matt

Hello Matt,

Now my question is a bit different from the above case,
I am an international graduate of a non-accredited dental school by neither the ADC or in Canada
but i am going to complete my ADC examinations soon and get registered as a practicing dentist in Australia
now DOES BEING A PRACTICING DENTIST IN AUSTRALIA ALLOWS ME TO PRACTICE IN CANADA after taking the board written and OSCE examination, according to Trans-Tasman mutual recognition?

pardon me if im missing something here
thanks in advance!